Page 49 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 56  Next

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

22 Feb 2021, 12:12 pm

There are quite small clickable pages especially in 'new posts' on mobile and sometimes buttons are too close to each other even for my little fingers. I suppose I could enlarge the view for each time but it's still pretty close buttons and they get mislicked.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 8:35 am

There currently is no section specifically for posts on cult news, conspiracy theories, and other esoteric nonsense.

I think there should be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2021, 4:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
There currently is no section specifically for posts on cult news, conspiracy theories, and other esoteric nonsense.

I think there should be.

That would not work because people who believe in those do not think they are conspiracy theories but truth and fact.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2021, 7:57 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I think there should be.

That would not work because people who believe in those do not think they are conspiracy theories but truth and fact.

It's not just believers who would be posting about and commenting on them, though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 9:00 am

Dial1194 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
There currently is no section specifically for posts on cult news, conspiracy theories, and other esoteric nonsense.  I think there should be.
It's not just believers who would be posting about and commenting on them, though.
It would be where cult beliefs, conspiracy theories, and other esoteric nonsense would not only be debunked, but where people could receive free education on critical thinking.

Something like the opposite of PP&R.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2021, 4:11 am

Maybe put all the counting threads in their own subsection? There's quite a few of them. It'd also require less coding than implementing a tagging system that people could then filter on, although the latter would be more flexible and personalizable.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2021, 12:16 am

Is it possible for a new "In memorium" section of the site?

At present we have a pinned thread about one former member in "news", and I noticed another thread has appeared regarding a second former member in that same forum. Given more members are eventually going to receive similar threads (not all, given many have minimal family, and other members are unlikely to hear of their passing and so unable to notify the community of this), I feel it would be a good idea to proactively create a dedicated area for these posts, as the present situation will either lead to a long list of pinned posts at the top of the "news" forum, making it hard to navigate, or only "special" members will have pinned posts while others would be treated with less respect through their posts being allowed to "disappear".

Ideally, a second forum for non-members (or potentially combining both into a single forum) could also be appropriate - given the utter disrespect (participated in by a moderator) shown in one recent thread regarding the passing of a prominent person - with both the "members" and "non members" forums having similar rules (If you can't say something nice about the person, don't say anything) as the haven.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2021, 8:53 am

I wonder if maybe there should be a rule prohibiting mention of politicians or political parties in one's signature?

We have a rule against political posts anywhere except the PPR and News forums. But some people have rather aggressively worded political slogans in their signatures, which show up in all the forums.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2021, 10:24 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I wonder if maybe there should be a rule prohibiting mention of politicians or political parties in one's signature?

We have a rule against political posts anywhere except the PPR and News forums. But some people have rather aggressively worded political slogans in their signatures, which show up in all the forums.

That's the reason why I turned off the display of all signatures
in the User Control Panel.

Here's a quick link to the appropriate settings page should you
wish to do this:
ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 3:21 am

Soliloquist wrote:
That's the reason why I turned off the display of all signatures
in the User Control Panel.

Here's a quick link to the appropriate settings page should you
wish to do this:
ucp.php?i=prefs&mode=view

In my opinion, people should not have to do this in order to avoid seeing political signatures. People should be able to view signatures that tell them something about the person, without having to view political stuff.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 8:15 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
In my opinion, people should not have to do this in order to avoid seeing political signatures. People should be able to view signatures that tell them something about the person, without having to view political stuff.
Making rules so that one person can avoid seeing things with which she does not agree is called CENSORSHIP.

Why are you trying to cancel Free Speech?

45OFFICE = TRE45ON
Lock Him Up!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 10:55 am

Fnord wrote:
Making rules so that one person can avoid seeing things with which she does not agree is called CENSORSHIP.

Why are you trying to cancel Free Speech?

The point is simply to confine politics to the appropriate sub-forums. That's all. I'm not trying to limit what can be said in the appropriate place.

There are reasons why political discussion is confined to specific sub-forums. If it were allowed everywhere on the board, it would crowd out everything else.

In my opinion, allowing political sigs also has undesirable consequences for the board as a whole, including making people feel unwelcome.

Also, I strongly suspect that a lot of users, not just one, are turning off the display of all signatures, just so they can avoid seeing political sigs. This, in turn, limits the number of people who can view non-political sigs as well -- which is annoying to those of us who have non-political sigs and would like other people to see our sigs.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 11:07 am

Mere suspicion is not proof of claim.

There are several members who drag politics into practically every thread, blaming this or that administration or politician for whatever ills have befallen them, their country, or the entire world.  Your desire to censor free speech does not seem to be directed at them, but only at signatures with which you do not agree.

Take some advice: As a wise moderator (Cornflake, envirozentinel, Magz, The_Walrus ... I forget which) once said...

"If you do not like what you see, then stop looking at it."

This advice works for me; every time I see the screen-name of one of the aforementioned members, I skip over their posts,which usually contain quoted articles, YouTube videos, or links to questionable media sources that have little or nothing to do with the original topic.

Of course, I could go so far as to request a prohibition on such inclusions, but that would be cancelling their right to free speech on this website -- and we would never want to do that in a free and open democracy, now would we?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 12:23 pm

Fnord wrote:

True. Only the moderators, and perhaps only the administrators, would have any way of knowing what fraction of active users have turned off their ability to see sigs. I would like very much to hear from one of them about this.

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]There are several members who drag politics into practically every thread, blaming this or that administration or politician for whatever ills have befallen them, their country, or the entire world.  Your desire to censor free speech does not seem to be directed at them, but only at signatures with which you do not agree.

Actually, no. I actually agree with the majority of the political sigs I've seen (including yours). My concerns are (1) that the ubiquitous (i.e., not confined to PPR and News) presence of political sigs of any kind may be scaring some significant number of users away from the board as a whole and (2) that some significant number of users may be turning off their ability to see all sigs (including my own non-political sig) just so they can avoid seeing the political sigs.

Admittedly the above is just speculation on my part, based on occasional remarks by some users. The moderators and administrators would know much better than either you or I do whether, and to what extent, my concerns are justified.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 12:25 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
[...] The moderators and administrators would know much better than either you or I do whether, and to what extent, my concerns are justified.
Agreed.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2021, 1:03 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:

True. Only the moderators, and perhaps only the administrators, would have any way of knowing what fraction of active users have turned off their ability to see sigs. I would like very much to hear from one of them about this.

Fnord wrote:
[color=black]There are several members who drag politics into practically every thread, blaming this or that administration or politician for whatever ills have befallen them, their country, or the entire world.  Your desire to censor free speech does not seem to be directed at them, but only at signatures with which you do not agree.

Actually, no. I actually agree with the majority of the political sigs I've seen (including yours). My concerns are (1) that the ubiquitous (i.e., not confined to PPR and News) presence of political sigs of any kind may be scaring some significant number of users away from the board as a whole and (2) that some significant number of users may be turning off their ability to see all sigs (including my own non-political sig) just so they can avoid seeing the political sigs.

Admittedly the above is just speculation on my part, based on occasional remarks by some users. The moderators and administrators would know much better than either you or I do whether, and to what extent, my concerns are justified.

I agree with the idea of no political sigs. I forgot that you can turn off signatures, but I might do that since I just scroll past them all as I'm tired of seeing political ones. I've even seen vaguely transphobic ones before, but they're not there anymore so I don't know if they got removed via mods, but I doubt it since one was there for a long time. They all certainly make this site very unwelcoming.