Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 6:02 pm

I am currently unable to access WP webpages by conventional means. Clicking on a link just produces endless buffering and sometimes an 'unable to connect to the server at Wrongplanet' type of message.

I've tried some tests to narrow it down, and it doesn't seem to be related to my computer hardware (same issue on different machines), nor is it browser-related (same on both Firefox and Chrome). Other websites work fine as well.

Maybe something to do with my home network? DNS? UK specific issue?

At the moment I'm able to get through to the site by using a VPN (routed via Los Angeles). I thought by the way that WP blocked users of VPNs, but in my case it seems to be the other way round.

This will probably sort itself out in the near future, but it is quite puzzling and annoying.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2021, 7:24 pm

Juliette was getting the same problem. She said the site was on a go-slow.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Sep 2021, 8:02 am

DeepHour wrote:
At the moment I'm able to get through to the site by using a VPN (routed via Los Angeles). I thought by the way that WP blocked users of VPNs, but in my case it seems to be the other way round.
This seems to indicate a localised routing issue between your ISP (or perhaps higher) and the nearest CloudFlare server. That you can access WP via the scenic route validates the basic functionality of your network, DNS, and ISP.
WP blocks only some IPs known to be associated with VPNs, but this seems to be historical. At any rate, there's no active effort put into detecting VPNs that I can see.
Quote:
This will probably sort itself out in the near future, but it is quite puzzling and annoying.
Most likely, but it's still annoying.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2021, 11:45 am

Service has returned to normal over the last 24 hours or so. Thanks for the replies.