Why are blocked members' posts still showing up for me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 10:23 pm

I lost count of how many members I blocked, like Axeman, because I refuse to read what they post. And their posts still show up all over WP. I thought "blocked" meant just that: BLOCKED. That is, I don't have to know they even exist. And yet I see their posts everywhere. :evil:

Is the block function glitching? Or are mods letting those posts show up in my account on purpose, to push me out of this site with a political agenda in mind? :?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2021, 11:27 pm

Doesn't it only cause their posts to be blocked in the thread history section below the box where you type your reply? I don't think I've ever had it work for me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 1:21 am

I've never understood why people want to block posts. How can you make sense of some threads if many of the posts are missing? Even if they're on the page, you don't have to read them.

I find the opinions of quite a few posters here annoying (probably many of the ones that annoy you), but don't have a problem with their posts being visible. The whole 'blocking' business seems to me to have something in common with 'cancel culture'.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 3:23 am

I seem to remember naturalplastic and myself experimenting with this a few years back and it didn't work then either.

I bet he can't remember that :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Oct 2021, 5:42 am

Aspie1 wrote:
Is the block function glitching? Or are mods letting those posts show up in my account on purpose, to push me out of this site with a political agenda in mind? :?
:roll: We have better things to do.

Sorry to say that the "Foe" function serves no meaningful purpose. It only blocks posts from appearing in the Topic Review section which appears below the box where you compose your posts.

I suspect it's been broken by the tweaks made for WP - its description in the user control panel sounds halfway useful:
Quote:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
I take "not be fully visible" to mean posts from a foe are not shown but posts quoting a foe would be.

This may be of some use: viewtopic.php?t=390645

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 5:57 am

Cornflake wrote:
I take "not be fully visible" to mean posts from a foe are not shown but posts quoting a foe would be.

This may be of some use: viewtopic.php?t=390645
Not true in my experience. I can see each and every post from Axeman, and I blocked that guy.

Thanks, though.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Oct 2021, 6:09 am

Yes, as I said - it's broken so the actions stated on the "Foe" function will not do what they claim to do.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 8:02 am

Cornflake wrote:
... the "Foe" function serves no meaningful purpose. It only blocks posts from appearing in the Topic Review section which appears below the box where you compose your posts...
It does, however, enable a very effective "Delete Before Reading" block of PMs from one's foes.

People on my "Foes" list can no longer spam my PM inbox with nastygrams and hate mail, so if anyone has been sending those things to me without getting a reply from me, then that is probably the reason.

:thumleft:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 Oct 2021, 9:59 am

You really should report those, you know. :shameonyou:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 10:04 am

Cornflake wrote:
You really should report those, you know. :shameonyou:
Can't report what you never see.

Besides, most of those "Foes" seem to have been dispatched to the Realm of Those-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, anyway.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2021, 6:58 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I've never understood why people want to block posts. How can you make sense of some threads if many of the posts are missing? Even if they're on the page, you don't have to read them.

I find the opinions of quite a few posters here annoying (probably many of the ones that annoy you), but don't have a problem with their posts being visible. The whole 'blocking' business seems to me to have something in common with 'cancel culture'.

I don't use blocking mechanisms.
I simply skip over the posts I am not interested in.
I'm surprised people don't just do this.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 1:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
... the "Foe" function serves no meaningful purpose. It only blocks posts from appearing in the Topic Review section which appears below the box where you compose your posts...
It does, however, enable a very effective "Delete Before Reading" block of PMs from one's foes.

People on my "Foes" list can no longer spam my PM inbox with nastygrams and hate mail, so if anyone has been sending those things to me without getting a reply from me, then that is probably the reason.

You must have great talent at pissing people off fnord you get all this attention. :lol: I'm so jealous. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 1:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
It does, however, enable a very effective "Delete Before Reading" block of PMs from one's foes.  People on my "Foes" list can no longer spam my PM inbox with nastygrams and hate mail, so if anyone has been sending those things to me without getting a reply from me, then that is probably the reason.
You must have great talent at pissing people off Fnord, you get all this attention.  I'm so jealous.
Ah, no need to feel jealousy!  It is an ancestral curse, something like the Cassandra Curse, except that someone will always take offense no matter how nice I am.

So why bother?

:wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2021, 3:08 pm

babybird wrote:
I seem to remember naturalplastic and myself experimenting with this a few years back and it didn't work then either.

I bet he can't remember that :lol:

Oh yeah. I do recall we did an experiment like that together a while back.

Dont recall whether we "blocked" each other, or whether we put each other on our own "foe's list". I dont think that those two functions are the same. But either way it was just for experiment to see what would happen. And yeah ...it didnt seem to do anything. :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 2:15 am

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

You must have great talent at pissing people off fnord you get all this attention. :lol: I'm so jealous. :wink:

"He has enemies. I want some too!"

You sound like this guy: