Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 11:18 am

I try to be more "diversified" in the relevant areas of my posting. But I'm not that proficient/cultural-rapport in some of them. :?
There is also some content that is not suitable for this forum or is more suitable for one-on-one communication.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 12:07 pm

I don't visit some of the forums here much, for example the PPR, because as a person who isn't politically correct, but not racist or homophobic either, I still often get my posts deleted and a telling off from the mods. Yes, you can be anti-racist without having to be too politically correct, but here political correctness is a huge thing so it's best to avoid PPR discussions if you cannot express your opinions without unintentionally offending someone.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2022, 12:52 pm

I'm fairly politically sensitive, so PPR feels like slightly less familiar waters to me, but I can still swim after researching ahead of time. (but not so sure about religion, I don't have enough research samples)
The real difference is the derivative part of politics—namely, culture and living—that I actually don't have much in common with the inhabitants of a typical Western country in other areas to discuss.
Google is helpful enough for me to understand what people are talking about most of the time, but not enough for having experience to post a worthwhile review.

Differences in language structure and my inability to express cultural context actually forced me to write in a quite low-context way, with always thinking about what content needs to be supplemented to provide context, and some words that do not correspond one-to-one in translation need to be replaced or considered. And think about whether some concepts already have corresponding statements, or what level certain discussions have matured in this environment, which sometimes made me feel tired.
So my informal Chinese ability has declined in the last two months. Although it may not matter.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

BrotherPhil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2022, 4:56 am

The Facebook group seems to be defunct, too - 'Alex', the admin, doesn't appear to have logged in for years, and the group is overrun with spam - which can't be dealt with other than by blocking the posters on a personal level, because nobody's running the group.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 5:15 am

BrotherPhil wrote:
The Facebook group seems to be defunct, too - 'Alex', the admin, doesn't appear to have logged in for years, and the group is overrun with spam - which can't be dealt with other than by blocking the posters on a personal level, because nobody's running the group.

Alex is apparently ''really, really busy'', so can't log in to his site he created any more. That's what I last heard anyway.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 6:19 am

The problem is that sites take up a lot of time to run. Moderators themselves have a tough job in this because there can be a lot to do. How much work is deligated depends on the site owner and the software used.
When the first time I moderated a site (Nothing to do with autism ans I was scared to mention it on sites like this one because I once mentioned it on another site and I was immediately banned even though I joined it wanting nothing to do with rhe moderating side. (One site was enough).

Now when I first moderated a site we had full moderators access and had the additional responsibility of reporting IP addresses to get them banned for very serious offences. (As the site is a Christian site we had a fair share of serious disruption from all sorts of people trying to cause mayhem and it is where I learned to pick up on patterns (I am good at that) that such people have and if anything I was far too lenient as I saw the patterns long before these people were eventually banned. One had to be quick too as we had live chat to deal with.
I took a back seat when I no longer had access to a PC and found being on a tablet that I could not keep up with the live chat moderation side of things (Impossible to click on an individual username in live chat mode using a touch screen as it just moves too fast!)
I then only did the forum part.
Eventually the site owner lost interest and I got worried about things I had typed so I started removing them and the site owner did not understand so he sold the site to another new moderator and most of its members left. The new owner wanted to handle most of the moderation himself and add a lot of extra moderators with every moderator being responsible for just one individual section. The section I was responsible for was the past section from the old site which was rarely used as the new owner restarted the site and this past section which was the old site was only accesable to those clicking on a small word on the screen (Live chat was the same) so people left not finding what they wanted and the site became quiet. Moderators rhen became more like "Reporters" and nearly all moderators no longer log in so the site owner is really the moderator.

But anyway. What I am saying is that when we had full moderator powers, we had a lot of continual work to do just in the live chat part of the site. I actually nearly left the site before that because a past moderator muted me for a while because I said the word "Cococola" and she said site rules are that we were not allowed to promote any business or company. I only said it because someone asked me what I had to drink! Not surprizingly those moderators were removed from moderating!

Now I am happy as sometimes one needs a break and when the site became quiet several years ago I had that break. The issue I have with sites like this is that they are just far too addictive! :D

All sites have seasons. Overmoderating loses valuable site members. Undermoderating and the site becomes a mess and people leave. There is a balance. Sometimes sites go quiet when their owners lose their interest. Sites need updating and I do not mean software. I mean updating as in adjusting to the new needs if the site to keep the members interest. (Such as suggestions here for a "Hobbies" section).

With no additional input sites do eventually die but with constant minor adjustments they live.

I personally have issues with certain aspects but I am not in control.

Like I say to myself, if I don't agree I can always make my own site, but the software I know nothing about and if I did it would be model railway related... Hehe!

So while some aspects of the site rules I do not agree with on this site, I tollerate them to be part of it.
(Site rules changed since I joined this site as if the site rules we have now were there then I would not have joined because I want to promote a fair and equal approach to all members and the new "Politically correct" (What I call "One way") rules we now abide by no longer allow for that).

Is this site quiet? Not if we contribute.

Certain things kill sites. One is having biassed views where one oppinion has a say but theother oppinion does not have a say, and this has happened on this site which is why for a while it went quiet. One either allows both sides to have a say or one says "No discussion at all on the subject". This is when I have reported things when I see patterns of unfairness spreading. Others may not see rhis as they are very much blinkered by their own views.
Someone who I admire as having the ability to distance himself from his own views (A very rare quality) is Kraftie as I have watched him come to the rescue and support of those he sees as being berbally bullied and yet the views he is defending on behalf of the people he is trying to protect are the opposite to his own personal views. This is a rare gift that few of us have. Well done Kraftie for excercizing your gift on this site!

My issue is I am either all or nothing. Either too quiet or too talkative. No inbetween. Haha! I either withdraw or am always here. When I withdraw and am quiet there is something wrong. Is the main thing how my Mum knows something is up with me!
I only am talkative when I feel safe unless I mask.

Anyway. I have written too much. Hope I have not said any wrong things.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 11:13 am

I am addicted to this place and I use it a lot to get things off my chest. Some of my posts are impulsive and I'm sorry about that.

Kraftie often gets a lot of praise even though he doesn't think so himself. I wish I could be as perfect as Kraftie.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 12:53 pm

Me? Perfect?

Not even close!

I make mistakes sometimes.

We all make mistakes.

This Site is not dead---not by a longshot! It has "dead moments"---like all forums. Most forums don't get as much "traffic" as this one.

WrongPlanet has a long, interesting history.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 6:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Me? Perfect?

Not even close!

Agreed. <joke> :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie wrote:

We all make mistakes.

Speak for yourself. <joke> :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie wrote:
This Site is not dead---not by a longshot! It has "dead moments"---like all forums. Most forums don't get as much "traffic" as this one.

WrongPlanet has a long, interesting history.

The "traffic" is a little better than a month or so ago, but it isn't great.
Nowhere near as popular as 12 years ago, so I have heard. 8)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 6:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Me? Perfect?

Not even close!

You are pretty awesome, though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 6:40 pm

I'm not one for false modesty. I believe in extolling one's strengths when one has them.

But I believe I'm more like a "regular guy" who's lived life-----than somebody who is "above it all." I am VERY fallible at times. I wish I could do better with many things.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 6:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm not one for false modesty. I believe in extolling one's strengths when one has them.

But I believe I'm more like a "regular guy" who's lived life-----than somebody who is "above it all." I am VERY fallible at times. I wish I could do better with many things.

A person can still be a great person even if they make mistakes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 6:48 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:

I personally have issues with certain aspects but I am not in control.

Like I say to myself, if I don't agree I can always make my own site, but the software I know nothing about and if I did it would be model railway related... Hehe!

So while some aspects of the site rules I do not agree with on this site, I tollerate them to be part of it.
(Site rules changed since I joined this site as if the site rules we have now were there then I would not have joined because I want to promote a fair and equal approach to all members and the new "Politically correct" (What I call "One way") rules we now abide by no longer allow for that).

Is this site quiet? Not if we contribute.

Certain things kill sites. One is having biassed views where one oppinion has a say but theother oppinion does not have a say, and this has happened on this site which is why for a while it went quiet. One either allows both sides to have a say or one says "No discussion at all on the subject". This is when I have reported things when I see patterns of unfairness spreading. Others may not see rhis as they are very much blinkered by their own views.
Someone who I admire as having the ability to distance himself from his own views (A very rare quality) is Kraftie as I have watched him come to the rescue and support of those he sees as being berbally bullied and yet the views he is defending on behalf of the people he is trying to protect are the opposite to his own personal views. This is a rare gift that few of us have. Well done Kraftie for excercizing your gift on this site!

I sometimes feel constrained about what to post but that has to do with wording, not opinion. There is a significant belief that this site actively discourages conservatives. Many "conservatives" have left this site. I have trashed BLM, the concept of equity, "anti-racism" etc, and posted commentary from the conservative sites and have never been reprimanded for them. There was a new rule put in that had me very concerned. Many of us vigorously disagreed and we were allowed to do so but ultimately lost, the rule stayed. I seriously thought about leaving but ultimately I put my faith in membership here and was rewarded for it. The thing we were worried about has never come up.

If you are going to criticize others for being fragile snowflakes don't be one yourself. If the benefits outweigh the deficits stay. Don't let the deficits define this site.

For a site with a largely absentee owner, bulky dated software, overworked understaffed moderators, forums being mostly a relic in 2022, and last but not least a site with membership with a condition defined by communication disorders we have done pretty f*****g damn good.

And yes kraftie has been a valuable member of this site for over 8 years now.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 6:56 pm

In truth, ASPartofMe has been an indispensable member of this Site for almost nine years.

He presents very, very pertinent news. And he almost always just presents the news----like a Walter Cronkite type.

This despite some quite significant medical issues.

Yep....I think we need more "mutual admiration societies" here. So we can show that we are together on this Site.

I am one who believes praise, usually, is sincere.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 7:55 pm

Yes Kraftiekortie is a valued member here who isn't "above it all", he just has a lot of wisdom that he uses wisely. So I hope we will have many more years of putting up with our Kraftie (I meant that in a nice way :) ).

I suppose it takes all sorts to make a community. I'm one of the very emotional ones here, and I suppose we need a few of those. :lol:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 8:43 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

A person can still be a great person even if they make mistakes.

Doubtful. <joke> :mrgreen: