Page 51 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 56  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 9:00 pm

More cowbell.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2022, 5:29 pm

I think we should also have a section for adults to talk about their childhood. I don't mean the school and college life section.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Aug 2022, 5:10 am

Try starting a thread "Talk about your childhood" in General Autism Discussion, or maybe in Members Only Discussion and see how it goes.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 11:25 am

I don't know if this could be a possibility on this site but what if new members had to have their first couple of posts verified before they get accepted on to the boards.

I'm only thinking this because it may stop spammers, sockpuppets, previously banned people etc.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Aug 2022, 11:33 am

Annoyingly, this is the default configuration for phpBB: the first 5 (I think) posts of a new member go to a moderation queue for review before being allowed to appear on a forum.
But on WP it was configured away... :shrug:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 11:37 am

Cornflake wrote:
Annoyingly, this is the default configuration for phpBB: the first 5 (I think) posts of a new member go to a moderation queue for review before being allowed to appear on a forum.

AW that's a shame.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Aug 2022, 11:39 am

Yes - it would save lots of scurrying around tidying up after the event that could have been prevented. :lol:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 11:52 am

That's what I was thinking

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm

Perhaps if the system could be tweaked to allow for only one post per day for the first 10, 20, or 30 days, we might avoid the first-day spammers and trolls; but that might also require intervention by the Mysterious Mr. Plank, upon whose existence we can now only speculate.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

30 Aug 2022, 2:54 pm

That's not a part of pbpBB functionality so would require bespoke programming.
But sending a new member's first few posts to a moderation queue would resolve the spammer issue, and that's already (or rather, was) a part of phpBB.

I suspect it was de-configured initially because having to "pass muster" for a few posts isn't exactly a welcoming approach for a system aimed at people who are typically unwelcome elsewhere, for various reasons.
With hindsight and a few years' experience of running it, though... :chin:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 3:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
Perhaps if the system could be tweaked to allow for only one post per day for the first 10, 20, or 30 days, we might avoid the first-day spammers and trolls; but that might also require intervention by the Mysterious Mr. Plank, upon whose existence we can now only speculate.

:wink:

Problem is that the only new members who would stay would be monks or nuns as one message a day would be luxury to them.

Seems like AI spambots are chatterboxes in written form.

Mr Plank has been noticed as one can notice his patterns tip toe-ing to and fro... :D

Not sure how to prevent spammers and trolls except to provide them with a skipping rope and tell them to hop it. On another site I was on we used to report their IP addresses, but few sites do that these days.

The main suggestion I can add is that this site needs a hobbies/Special interests section as some subjects do not fit anywhere else.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 5:19 pm

We need a thread where we can write down social guidelines that we know, to help other spectrumers out.

We used to have one called The Autism Social Rule Book but they deleted it. We need another thread like that.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Aug 2022, 6:49 am

^ That's a great idea! :thumright:
Please, start one in GAD.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

04 Sep 2022, 7:21 am

Erm, even better - I found the original thread and it's now back in GAD, as a sticky, here:
viewtopic.php?t=131296

IIRC this was removed because a new member decided to publish it as a book without bothering (1) to talk with anyone and (2) without consent - so it was removed as a protection.

What with one thing and another it just became forgotten...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 8:56 am

Cornflake wrote:
babybird wrote:
I don't know if this could be a possibility on this site but what if new members had to have their first couple of posts verified before they get accepted on to the boards.

I'm only thinking this because it may stop spammers, sockpuppets, previously banned people etc.

I know we talked about this before CF, but I'd love if new members had to write a minimum number of posts before having the ability to PM anyone. I'd suggest about 50 posts, personally.

Other things I'd like:

Any improvement on the functionality of the PM system, particularly if there could be ongoing conversations between users instead of separate PMs that you have to open and shut for every communication.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2022, 2:09 pm

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place or if it has already been addressed before, but is there some type of a dark theme setting and if not, then could there be please?