Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

24 Mar 2023, 1:52 pm

Hi, all. Yeah, the current interface is about 10 years old, and it could use some improvements, namely:
1) The post times need to be adjusted to when DST or Standard time is in place; for me, it's March-November;
2) There should be an option to mark all forums read, in addition to making them marked as read on the forums, which it doesn't do for some reason.

I hope you have something to say about this.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 2:56 pm

equestriatola wrote:
1) The post times need to be adjusted to when DST or Standard time is in place; for me, it's March-November;

Isn't this possible in My Account>Board Preferences>My Timezone ?

you can then choose Yes/No in Summer Time/DST is in effect:

equestriatola wrote:
2) There should be an option to mark all forums read, in addition to making them marked as read on the forums, which it doesn't do for some reason.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but there is another option available in My Account>Edit Display Options>Display Topics Ordering by:

If you choose the order by 'replies' , the topics that have been replied to recently will be at the top.

Not sure if that offers you any help.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 3:58 pm

Recidivist wrote:
equestriatola wrote:

Yes it's there. My Account > Board Preferences > Global Settings ^

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2023, 4:06 pm

^ Good call , I missed out that it's in Edit Global Settings.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 1:04 pm

What I meant was, although you can change the DST settings, I noticed that the posts made when DST is not in effect, changed to be an hour ahead anyway, for some reason.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 2:34 pm

^ Can't answer that sorry, hopefully CornFlake will know.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 4:20 pm

Recidivist wrote:
equestriatola wrote:

equestriatola wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but there is another option available in My Account>Edit Display Options>Display Topics Ordering by:

If you choose the order by 'replies' , the topics that have been replied to recently will be at the top.

Not sure if that offers you any help.

To clarify #2: I can only mark invidiual forums as read, and sometimes some threads will not mark themselves as such (as in, ones you have posted in).

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 4:34 pm

equestriatola wrote:

To clarify #2: I can only mark invidiual forums as read, and sometimes some threads will not mark themselves as such (as in, ones you have posted in).

I hadn't noticed that, I have never used that function. Again, Cornflake will hopefully enlighten you. Might be a good idea to PM him and ask him to have a look at this thread when he has some free time.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Mar 2023, 10:06 am

equestriatola wrote:
What I meant was, although you can change the DST settings, I noticed that the posts made when DST is not in effect, changed to be an hour ahead anyway, for some reason.
Just checking the basics - your timezone is currently: [UTC-8] Pacific Standard Time and DST is in effect - is that all correct?

Having to manually set DST on/off here is just another of those timekeeping chores we have when the clocks change.
It could possibly be done automatically, based on the IP - but that functionality is not available in phpBB (or at least this version), and it would cause issues with those using VPNs who aren't generally interested in which IP is in use (apparent location) - so the post date/time displays would change bizarrely depending on the IP in use.

But once the timezone and DST is all set up I've seen no issues with post date/time displays.

Quote:
I think marking individual forums as read is the intended behavior ("Mark topics read" on the top-right of an index page), and there doesn't appear to be an equivalent for threads.
Now you mention it though, I think there used to be an option to mark all posts read in a thread but if there was, it seems to have "gone away" with the upgrade in 2014.

The icons to the left on thread entries in an index page do appear to be broken.
This: Image is supposed to indicate unread entries on a thread I've posted to
...and this: Image is supposed to indicate unread entries on a thread I've not posted to.

But they don't seem to change and always indicate "unread entries" - even after I'd marked a whole forum as read.
I think this is also something that used to work in the earlier version of the site software - IIRC they went gray if all posts were marked as read.

The icon jiggles if the thread is deemed to be popular or "hot". I forget what the trigger for that is, but at least that seems functional FWIW.

Sorry, but WP is effectively now running as abandonware - there is no active development or work on fixing bugs.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 2:30 pm

Cornflake wrote:
equestriatola wrote:
Just checking the basics - your timezone is currently: [UTC-8] Pacific Standard Time and DST is in effect - is that all correct?

Having to manually set DST on/off here is just another of those timekeeping chores we have when the clocks change.
It could possibly be done automatically, based on the IP - but that functionality is not available in phpBB (or at least this version), and it would cause issues with those using VPNs who aren't generally interested in which IP is in use (apparent location) - so the post date/time displays would change bizarrely depending on the IP in use.

But once the timezone and DST is all set up I've seen no issues with post date/time displays.

Quote:
I think marking individual forums as read is the intended behavior ("Mark topics read" on the top-right of an index page), and there doesn't appear to be an equivalent for threads.
Now you mention it though, I think there used to be an option to mark all posts read in a thread but if there was, it seems to have "gone away" with the upgrade in 2014.

The icons to the left on thread entries in an index page do appear to be broken.
This: Image is supposed to indicate unread entries on a thread I've posted to
...and this: Image is supposed to indicate unread entries on a thread I've not posted to.

But they don't seem to change and always indicate "unread entries" - even after I'd marked a whole forum as read.
I think this is also something that used to work in the earlier version of the site software - IIRC they went gray if all posts were marked as read.

The icon jiggles if the thread is deemed to be popular or "hot". I forget what the trigger for that is, but at least that seems functional FWIW.

Sorry, but WP is effectively now running as abandonware - there is no active development or work on fixing bugs.

Yes