Feedback on the NEW WrongPlanet site.

Page 21 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 4:15 pm

DeepHour wrote:
It's on a PC, I don't have a mobile phone. The Stone Age is still alive and well in these parts.

Do you have electric lights and running water?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 4:19 pm

At the moment, yes. I'm seriously considering having my gas supply terminated though.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 4:22 pm

DeepHour wrote:
At the moment, yes. I'm seriously considering having my gas supply terminated though.

I can't blame you for that actually. I'm thinking of pestering my landlord for solar panels.

Anyway back on topic.

I think dark mode is a fantastic suggestion.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2022, 6:21 pm

DeepHour wrote:
^ I seem to remember that someone created a 'dark mode' specifically for Wrongplanet many years ago. I tried it, and it was pretty good, but it had one or two shortcomings which tested my patience, can't remember what they were.

I now use 'Dark Mode Night Reader', which is available as an add-on for Firefox and Chrome, and probably one or two other browsers as well. This is absolutely excellent, can't find any significant faults with it.

I've messed around with that addon before. I've had mixed results with it. The mobile version is really resource heavy, and I think I've had similar issues with the desktop version too.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2023, 10:47 pm

Had a run-in with a glitch a couple times in posting in the last week.

What'll happen is I have a post drawn up, go to submit, and I realize all four green buttons look enabled but they're not. Probably just a timing thing but still wanted to make someone aware of it. From experience I know UI is obnoxious so it might be tricky to pin down precisely.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Feb 2023, 7:19 am

They've always looked the same for me, with no indication of any one being enabled -
(lower part of the "Post Reply" window)

Are you saying that when clicking "Submit" or "Preview" nothing happens? (ie. they're not actually enabled)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 1:25 pm

If former members have been banned or for grooming, shouldn’t we be allowed to know who they are?
Like the sex offender alert pages.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 1:46 pm

Misslizard wrote:
If former members have been banned or for grooming, shouldn’t we be allowed to know who they are?

I don’t know. I’m okay with just banning them, I think. It could be good to communicate with admin of other autism forums as well, though, to keep more people from getting groomed or to clear reputations if needed.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 2:14 pm

/\Yeah, they can go elsewhere.
Predators, always hungry.
Most people have distinctive posting styles.If we knew who they were, people might recognize them posting and preying on another forum report them as suspicious.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 2:36 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I was wondering why they aren't being named as well. I'm not sure how to phrase this, so sorry if this is disjointed or incoherent...but here's my thoughts... say someone was banned for those things, we'll call that banned member 'X'. Say X has been maintaining regular communication with two other members (they can be 'Y' and 'Z') outside of this site through text or email. Maybe both Y and Z check X's profile here and notice they've been banned. X could easily lie and say it was over something else and maybe play themselves off like a victim. Predators have been known to do things like that. Y might not believe them and cut off communication. But Z might believe 'their friend' X and keep on talking to someone who is ultimately seeking to do them harm because they can't imagine that to be the case and they don't have proof or anything.

I don't talk to people on this site like that...not outside of here and not really through pms either, but it seems at least some other people do, if not several people. I kinda find the lack of disclosure a bit unnerving because of that. I'd hate for someone to get burned because they don't realize they are talking to someone who is doing them wrong when outing these people could help to solve that issue.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Mar 2023, 4:15 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Alex’s advice is that we should avoid humiliating banned users by talking about them publicly and in this instance, naming names would likely generate some unwelcome discussion or speculation on who was affected.
Clearly we can't allow that to happen.

The the basic site rule is sound in disallowing "discussion of banned members and why they were banned".
It's probably one of the least ambiguous rules.

Also, I think the new sticky is a useful resource - being alert and learning to recognise some of the warning signs should be more productive.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:31 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Alex’s advice is that we should avoid humiliating banned users by talking about them publicly and in this instance, naming names would likely generate some unwelcome discussion or speculation on who was affected.

The the basic site rule is sound in disallowing "discussion of banned members and why they were banned".

Also, I think the new sticky is a useful resource - being alert and learning to recognise some of the warning signs should be more productive.

I think a lot of members are worried about being accused of it by each other, starting up gossip and false accusations across the forum. I actually worried for a moment that I might be accused of being one of the groomers, because I haven't been here for a while only in PMs so I thought ''oh no, what if other users think I'm the one grooming in PMs?''
Not saying anyone is thinking that, they most likely aren't at all, I know that, but it was just a thought that crossed my mind. It's probably how some of the other users might be feeling too. But I understand why you don't want to expose who it is, as it's a situation that should be dealt with confidentially. But, then again, revealing who the groomers are to the rest of us could be like a consequence, so that it may deter any grooming in the future if they know they might get publicly humiliated for it. But I can still see your point.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 5:19 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Thanks for responding.I wouldn’t want the victims to suffer ,feel shamed or humiliated.I see your point.
People will speculate on the groomer ,no way to prevent that.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

26 Mar 2023, 8:00 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think a lot of members are worried about being accused of it by each other, starting up gossip and false accusations across the forum. I actually worried for a moment that I might be accused of being one of the groomers, because I haven't been here for a while only in PMs so I thought ''oh no, what if other users think I'm the one grooming in PMs?''
Everyone: please report any accusations of this type that you see, or receive through PM.

Quote:
But I understand why you don't want to expose who it is, as it's a situation that should be dealt with confidentially. But, then again, revealing who the groomers are to the rest of us could be like a consequence, so that it may deter any grooming in the future if they know they might get publicly humiliated for it. But I can still see your point.
But a ritual humiliation is something we should avoid, and that should apply to any banning - we shouldn't find ourselves in a situation deciding that banned member "A" should be strung up, but not banned member "B".
And from personal experience, no notice or possible public humiliation will act as a deterrent. Anonymity covers a multitude of sins.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 8:32 pm

Whatever went on, I just want to thank Cornflake and Walrus for notifying us and keeping the peace at what must be a very troublesome time. It seems like we're in good hands now that everyone's aware.