[ Poll ] Noone for Moderator position

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


I agree
Yes 75%  75%  [ 9 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 12

rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 464

18 Sep 2010, 3:10 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
rossc wrote:
Even in real life for any volunteer position people express an interest. The turn up or hand in a resume or make themselves available for the volunteer work through an agency and again with suitable references.

So how in your line of reasoning holding up in light of this?

Oh DW A Mum I am serious and I DO think I would make a difference here. Recently dropped a few forums I was active in and looking to consolidate my attention and make a difference somewhere. Been a member here for a while and think it is about time I put something in. Besides I have the smarts, maturity, experience and have been a mod before and know what it entails.


I spend a lot of time chasing down people who I think will be good at certain volunteer jobs, in real life. It runs about 50/50; those who raise their hand and say, "I'll do it," v. those we ask to take on specific jobs with specific skills involved.

The moderator job is different from, say, a booth volunteer. Or being the PTA treasurer. Or taking minutes for a non-profit board. Or running a silent auction. None of those later jobs involve making judgment calls that affect the lives of other people. They just involve doing. Moderation decisions, however, can have a profound impact on someones life - or, at least, that is what banned members and those facing bans tell us. And what members feeling harassed by other members and wondering why those seeming trolls are not banned yet. Serious business. You don't just take the raised hand and say "great, thanks, go for it." I don't think the raised hand should be an automatic dis-qualifier, personally, but I see the point behind the theory.

So, you say you are serious. As explained in the other thread, that surprises me, given how I've seen you play certain outsider roles so well.


Does it surprise you to know I have been a mod before. A number of times, and am a mod and Admin on a number of boards still? I bet that you did not know and that Alex sure as heck did not either and in fact the only way to attest to this is for myself and some well meaning friends to actually let Alex and WP know.

Another thing with being a mod is that it is a thankless task and that you are actually as I pointed out somewhere else here actually dis-empowered in the respect that your every opiniona nd action is thoroughly scrutinised. Bad day, wrong call? YOu will be crucified for it and in many instances regardless of the call you will say half the board saying that you did the bare expectation and the other half crying foul.

I do know what it is like DW as you do. It is not THAT un-thought out by me. Again I think I have enough self-assurance and conviction and thick-skin to handle it.



mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,166

18 Sep 2010, 7:12 am

If I was the moderator, I WOULD BRING YOU CHAOS, MADNESS and just a pinch of CINNAMON...



Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,653
Location: A cold place with lots of blondes.

18 Sep 2010, 8:24 am

mjs82 wrote:
If I was the moderator, I WOULD BRING YOU CHAOS, MADNESS and just a pinch of CINNAMON...


Don't be ridiculous, you do not have cinnamon.


_________________
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring" (Carl Sagan)


DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2008
Age: 61
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,013
Location: Northern California

18 Sep 2010, 4:41 pm

rossc wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
rossc wrote:
Even in real life for any volunteer position people express an interest. The turn up or hand in a resume or make themselves available for the volunteer work through an agency and again with suitable references.

So how in your line of reasoning holding up in light of this?

Oh DW A Mum I am serious and I DO think I would make a difference here. Recently dropped a few forums I was active in and looking to consolidate my attention and make a difference somewhere. Been a member here for a while and think it is about time I put something in. Besides I have the smarts, maturity, experience and have been a mod before and know what it entails.


I spend a lot of time chasing down people who I think will be good at certain volunteer jobs, in real life. It runs about 50/50; those who raise their hand and say, "I'll do it," v. those we ask to take on specific jobs with specific skills involved.

The moderator job is different from, say, a booth volunteer. Or being the PTA treasurer. Or taking minutes for a non-profit board. Or running a silent auction. None of those later jobs involve making judgment calls that affect the lives of other people. They just involve doing. Moderation decisions, however, can have a profound impact on someones life - or, at least, that is what banned members and those facing bans tell us. And what members feeling harassed by other members and wondering why those seeming trolls are not banned yet. Serious business. You don't just take the raised hand and say "great, thanks, go for it." I don't think the raised hand should be an automatic dis-qualifier, personally, but I see the point behind the theory.

So, you say you are serious. As explained in the other thread, that surprises me, given how I've seen you play certain outsider roles so well.


Does it surprise you to know I have been a mod before. A number of times, and am a mod and Admin on a number of boards still? I bet that you did not know and that Alex sure as heck did not either and in fact the only way to attest to this is for myself and some well meaning friends to actually let Alex and WP know.

Another thing with being a mod is that it is a thankless task and that you are actually as I pointed out somewhere else here actually dis-empowered in the respect that your every opiniona nd action is thoroughly scrutinised. Bad day, wrong call? YOu will be crucified for it and in many instances regardless of the call you will say half the board saying that you did the bare expectation and the other half crying foul.

I do know what it is like DW as you do. It is not THAT un-thought out by me. Again I think I have enough self-assurance and conviction and thick-skin to handle it.


If I have it right, you're a moderator on an AS forum that is pretty night and day from this one. The question wouldn't really be about being able to do the job, but having the desire - and restraint - to do it in a way that promotes the goals of this one unique forum. Now, maybe you want to change some of those goals, but assuming they don't change, and are as they present themselves ... does that suit your personality?

We have other members here that moderate other forums. I've talked to some in professional capacity from time to time, and appreciate the different perspective; I really respect them both as members and as fellow moderators. But I don't know if making them moderators here, as well, would be the right thing. I do have the ones I would love to see mod here, and the ones I'd feel it would be less appropriate to have mod here for various personality and friendship reasons; each forum has its own dynamics. I can attest to what I would recommend, but not to what or how Alex would choose, so my opinion is kind of pointless to post.


_________________
Mom to an amazing AS son, who recently graduated from the university (plus an also amazing non-AS daughter). Most likely part of the "Broader Autism Phenotype" (some traits).


rossc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 1 May 2007
Age: 49
Gender: Male
Posts: 464

19 Sep 2010, 12:20 am

Funny DW a friend has just modded me today on another forum. Nothing to do with AS but coincidence anyhow. Which brings me to another point. Most mod or Admin positions I have had or do have is nothing to do with AS. The dynamics are radically different from this place and I have been a member of this place for three years. It is not like I just walked in here and said "Wonder what this place is and how it works." I have a reasonable idea. As much as you or most members I would imagine.



mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,166

19 Sep 2010, 7:09 am

Ichinin wrote:
mjs82 wrote:
If I was the moderator, I WOULD BRING YOU CHAOS, MADNESS and just a pinch of CINNAMON...


Don't be ridiculous, you do not have cinnamon.


I'm sorry... I lied... I don't have a pinch of cinnamon. I don't know why I said that when I knew you'd all be wanting some and that I didn't have any.

I'm so ashamed with myself....



blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,617
Location: Behind the wheel

19 Sep 2010, 7:31 am

mjs82 wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
mjs82 wrote:
If I was the moderator, I WOULD BRING YOU CHAOS, MADNESS and just a pinch of CINNAMON...


Don't be ridiculous, you do not have cinnamon.


I'm sorry... I lied... I don't have a pinch of cinnamon. I don't know why I said that when I knew you'd all be wanting some and that I didn't have any.

I'm so ashamed with myself....


You're a liar! LIAR!! ! That's why you're my EX husband!! !



mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,166

20 Sep 2010, 3:01 am

blue_bean wrote:
mjs82 wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
mjs82 wrote:
If I was the moderator, I WOULD BRING YOU CHAOS, MADNESS and just a pinch of CINNAMON...


Don't be ridiculous, you do not have cinnamon.


I'm sorry... I lied... I don't have a pinch of cinnamon. I don't know why I said that when I knew you'd all be wanting some and that I didn't have any.

I'm so ashamed with myself....


You're a liar! LIAR!! ! That's why you're my EX husband!! !


Yeah... well... I LIED ABOUT NOT HAVING CINNAMON TOO!! !! !! !! !

MAHAHAHA!! !

Now me and my new girl Shoshanna-Divine can have all the cinnamon we want AND YOU GET NONE!! !


Vote for me!