When's the last time this forum was backed up?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:15 am

hale_bopp wrote:
blue_bean wrote:
^ That.

And in case you haven't noticed we have mods throwing in the towel in frustration because the administrational work isn't being done. Mods can't do their job effectively without someone with admin tools helping them out.

He did have a front end admin at some stage, did he not? What happened to him?

You tell me. TOGGIS's involvement here is passive at the best of times.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:21 am

In that case it would be in his interests to get one who actually comes here every day.

Forum dynamics aside, I seriously doubt the stability of this site's risk protection is poor. Last I heard, he backs up every day. Back then he pretty much never posted either.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:50 am

MLA's resignation has but a lot of issues to the forefront and they need to be addressed ASAP. The issue with the mod (admin?) that abused their power caused some issues with trust. However, in order for a site this size to be run effectively, Alex should put at least 20 hours per week, the same goes for TOGGI3. If Alex and TOGGI3 can not put in the time necessary, Alex needs to select an Admin from one of the active mods. Now to make sure that admin does not abuse his/her power, he needs to appoint someone that he can "trust with his life".

I care about this site, and I want it stay running smoothly.

Hope this helps.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:55 am

An Admin of a forum doesn't need to put in 20 hours a week, that's absurd.

Maybe half an hour a day- every few days to address the issues with the mods. The mods however would need to put in more hours.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 9:28 pm

I'll give you credit for defending Alex the way you're doing. That's what good friends are for after all.

But poor behavior is still poor behavior. An admin is expected to be there for the members of his forum whether they're mods or regular members who contribute a lot to this forum and are the main reason this forum is what it is.

So he backs up the forum regularly and I was presumably stupid for asking about it. Fair enough. That itself is a good thing to know. :P

But what I find interesting is that you (hale_bopp) took time to address this topic while your friend Alex, once again, sits by and does nothing. No response and, no reaction from him whatsoever.

He posts every now and then, good. But look how many posters here in this section have wanted him to respond to their requests and/or suggestions. Did he pay attention to any of them? Not as far as I know.

So he's proud that he's attending some special event soon with Temple Grandin in it. I'm happy for him.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:02 am

/shrug

I don't see inside the moderators forum, so I don't know what member participation is like in there. I'm assuming if the mods have a problem then yes an active admin is needed. That admin still needs to get his info from the web master though.

It's not my forum, but it's taken care of in the sense of web design properly. As for admin participation in this community, well, that's a different matter entirely.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 11:23 am

hale_bopp wrote:
/shrug

I don't see inside the moderators forum, so I don't know what member participation is like in there. I'm assuming if the mods have a problem then yes an active admin is needed. That admin still needs to get his info from the web master though.

It's not my forum, but it's taken care of in the sense of web design properly. As for admin participation in this community, well, that's a different matter entirely.

What on earth is the "web master" you have now twice mentioned?

In any case. Alex is the Webmaster.

(There is an email address, "[email protected]", which Alex should feel obliged to reply to. This is the same sort of thing as the email address "[email protected]", for a Postmaster, if he were operating an email server site - although the postmaster one is required by RFC, whereas the "webmaster" one is much less formal.)

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 11:51 am

lau wrote:
(There is an email address, "[email protected]", which Alex should feel obliged to reply to. This is the same sort of thing as the email address "[email protected]", for a Postmaster, if he were operating an email server site - although the postmaster one is required by RFC, whereas the "webmaster" one is much less formal.)

I doubt many sites actually observe any such requirements nowadays in practice due to the massive amount of spam such addresses attract. On my own domain any email to either postmaster or webmaster goes directly into the black hole; I suspect the same is true of most sites. The standard method of accepting communications from site visitors is using a contact form. It does however require that someone actually reads and responds to any such communications - obviously site dependant! :lol:

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:39 pm

The WP Webmaster would prefer you click that button down there and call his cell phone. An excellent option for a forum full of aspies.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 9:09 pm

lau wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
/shrug

What on earth is the "web master" you have now twice mentioned?

In any case. Alex is the Webmaster.

A webmaster administers the site from the back end, obviously. A forum admin deals with forum sh*t.

Twirlip
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 May 2011, 8:13 am

hale_bopp wrote:
It's not my forum, but it's taken care of in the sense of web design properly.

May I say, tangentially: yes, it is well designed. I'm more accustomed to Usenet (R.I.P.) than Web forums, but, of the handful of Web forums I've used, this is the most technically comfortable and well thought out. It doesn't chafe.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 5:46 am

hale_bopp wrote:
A webmaster administers the site from the back end, obviously. ...

Not so, necessarily. Alex has visited the colocation centre where the WP server lives, if that's what you mean by "back end". Mostly he manages the WP software via their control panel. For WP's content itself - i.e the slightly tweaked PHP-Nuke - he uses his login as the sole administrator for that, part of which gains access to the phpBB control panel.

Anyway, if you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmaster you'll see that Alex does most of what is listed there, other than not (often) having direct physical access to his WP server machine.

Ah... and before I forget... I believe Alex relies on the colocator to back up the WP server. That's probably daily. I'm not aware that Alex does any specific backup beyond that.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2011, 5:47 am

lau wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

Not so, necessarily. Alex has visited the colocation centre where the WP server lives, if that's what you mean by "back end". Mostly he manages the WP software via their control panel. For WP's content itself - i.e the slightly tweaked PHP-Nuke - he uses his login as the sole administrator for that, part of which gains access to the phpBB control panel.

Anyway, if you read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webmaster you'll see that Alex does most of what is listed there, other than not (often) having direct physical access to his WP server machine.

Ah... and before I forget... I believe Alex relies on the colocator to back up the WP server. That's probably daily. I'm not aware that Alex does any specific backup beyond that.

Hourly block level versioned snapshots, to be exact.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 6:02 am

TOGGI3 wrote:
lau wrote:

That's good to hear.

The down side is that it would be rather tedious to restore a single file (i.e. a chunk of PHP code). I would imagine you'd have to do a full restore onto another box... or have you got a sneaky way of avoiding that? Alex didn't have any source control going.

Even worse would be restoring a single post, when the whole database file certainly has to be restored, for starters.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 6:27 am

TOGGI3 wrote:
lau wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

What happened to your admin tag? 8O

If you are still an admin can you tend to some of these issues piling up in this section of the forums please?

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2011, 6:29 am

lau wrote:
TOGGI3 wrote:
lau wrote:

That's good to hear.

The down side is that it would be rather tedious to restore a single file (i.e. a chunk of PHP code). I would imagine you'd have to do a full restore onto another box... or have you got a sneaky way of avoiding that? Alex didn't have any source control going.

Even worse would be restoring a single post, when the whole database file certainly has to be restored, for starters.

That's why I'd rather I'd rather back it up daily (database at least) to my local computer and not just let the server alone store the backups. More control that way.