When's the last time this forum was backed up?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:27 am

Serious question.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:55 am

Don't know for sure, only two people could answer that question. Toggi3 and Alex. At a guess I think either daily or weekly. Though I don't know what methodology they use because the site never appears to be taken offline. Though I did have a suspicion that that maybe Sunday mornings around 10am GMT it may be offline due to outages around that time for a few minutes. But maybe not related. :shrug:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 8:59 am

Well, Alex doesn't seem like he gives a sh*t anymore, so I hope Toggi3 is backing it up regularly. Because you never know what could happen to this forum at any time. If this forum gets hacked and posts and members start getting deleted, there'd be nothing recent to back up from.

all_white
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 9:01 am

Could this sudden concern perhaps be due to a new-found awareness of the subject, due to your own ventures into the world of forum admin? :wink:

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 9:13 am

all_white wrote:
Could this sudden concern perhaps be due to a new-found awareness of the subject, due to your own ventures into the world of forum admin? :wink:

Not really. I used to manage forums a long long time ago.

It's more to do with the realization that Alex isn't contributing much to this forum as the mods and the regular members here do. MLA's thread here says a lot of things to me.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 9:17 am

It's not a toilet :P

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 11:46 pm

I'm pretty sure he backs it up every day, that's what he said a while back when I asked.

Just because someone doesn't participate much doesn't mean they don't maintain their forum. WP is at the place now where he can get other people to do the moderating and admin work.

As far as I know he still does the back end stuff. He's not stupid.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 12:40 am

Well, I just checked his profile and latest posts. So he's still posting ... just not answering the important requests here. That's no good.

But thanks for the reply. It answered more than one extra question for me.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 12:45 am

Moog wrote:

Must you always add purposefully unintelligent responses to new threads? They're very annoying.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 2:01 am

hale_bopp wrote:
I'm pretty sure he backs it up every day, that's what he said a while back when I asked.

Just because someone doesn't participate much doesn't mean they don't maintain their forum. WP is at the place now where he can get other people to do the moderating and admin work.

There's nobody else to do the admin work apart from him.

I wonder how long the backups take anyway. It's a pretty big site.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 3:15 am

dunbots wrote:
Moog wrote:

Must you always add purposefully unintelligent responses to new threads? They're very annoying.

Actually, 99% of the time I restrain myself.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 6:04 am

blue_bean wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

There's nobody else to do the admin work apart from him.

I wonder how long the backups take anyway. It's a pretty big site.

Forum admins don't do work, they just help out with the forums, and he doesn't need them if he has moderators.
Web Masters do all the work.

And as far as this thread goes, imo it's a stupid question. I seriously doubt WP would be in the place it is today without proper back end administration.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 6:20 am

I don't see it as a stupid question. It's just like any question to ask of the admin. I wanted to make sure he's still here with us and sh*t.

Maybe you felt embarrassed asking this question once before, but I sure don't feel that way. And I have two corrections for you, forum admins actually do have some work to do, or at least they're supposed to. For one, replying to the questions asked by moderators and members. That's just one bit of work an admin is supposed to do.

And second correction: As long as nothing bad happens to WP (such as intruders hacking into the forum's administration panel and nuking the whole forum), it can continue the way it is without any backup at all.

So, no, I repeat, it ain't a stupid question. It's actually a question worth asking considering the circumstances.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 6:59 am

^ That.

And in case you haven't noticed we have mods throwing in the towel in frustration because the administrational work isn't being done. Mods can't do their job effectively without someone with admin tools helping them out.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 6:59 am

MCalavera wrote:
I don't see it as a stupid question. It's just like any question to ask of the admin. I wanted to make sure he's still here with us and sh*t.

Maybe you felt embarrassed asking this question once before, but I sure don't feel that way. And I have two corrections for you, forum admins actually do have some work to do, or at least they're supposed to. For one, replying to the questions asked by moderators and members. That's just one bit of work an admin is supposed to do.

And second correction: As long as nothing bad happens to WP (such as intruders hacking into the forum's administration panel and nuking the whole forum), it can continue the way it is without any backup at all.

So, no, I repeat, it ain't a stupid question. It's actually a question worth asking considering the circumstances.

1. I am quite un-embarassed, and would not get embarassed about asking such a question.

2. Forum admins are not obliged to do anything involving mainstream members. Their interaction with the members is usually done solely through the moderators, unless it's a tiny forum.

3. I know for a fact this place has been hacked or required back-end restores more than once since I joined, and Alex is a friend of mine and he's not stupid. He went nuts at the moderator that deleted Spokane Girls account. That is not the behaviour of someone who cares not about the website he built.

Last edited by hale_bopp on 10 May 2011, 7:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 7:01 am

blue_bean wrote:
^ That.

And in case you haven't noticed we have mods throwing in the towel in frustration because the administrational work isn't being done. Mods can't do their job effectively without someone with admin tools helping them out.

Admins who don't give an arse about posting on their forum and admins who don't perform backups are two different things. If what you said actually is a problem, and additional administrator should be appointed to maintain the front end side of it.

He did have a front end admin at some stage, did he not? What happened to him?