Page 54 of 56 [ 894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 9:45 am

Cool

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 9:55 am

lol what'd they do?

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 10:04 am

Persistently flouted the rules I would think. Beyond that we're not at liberty to say.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 10:08 am

Certain members are forced to take extended vacations regularly from WP. It's typically just a matter of time before it happens again. It makes one wonder when full-on retirement will finally happen.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 10:45 am

Will there be 401Ks for those people? 8O Seems almost unfair, financially speaking.

My suggestion would be to add some new emojis.
Wouldn't that be easy to do without a major update?

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2023, 9:51 pm

This is probably a touchy subject, and I really don’t want to come off the wrong way, but I know there’s a member who makes a thread almost every time there’s a mass shooting in the US, and they usually don’t receive too many responses. Another forum I use just has a general thread about guns that gets updated whenever a mass shooting occurs. It might be something to consider; it’s been on my mind regarding this site for years, and I feel like it hasn’t been brought up for sensitivity’s sake, so I hope this isn’t seen as out of line.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jun 2023, 5:23 am

! The_Walrus wrote:
Please avoid commenting publicly about banned users. The ban serves its own function- no need to add humiliation on top. If you have questions about a ban then please PM a mod.

Grammar Geek wrote:
This is probably a touchy subject, and I really don’t want to come off the wrong way, but I know there’s a member who makes a thread almost every time there’s a mass shooting in the US, and they usually don’t receive too many responses. Another forum I use just has a general thread about guns that gets updated whenever a mass shooting occurs. It might be something to consider; it’s been on my mind regarding this site for years, and I feel like it hasn’t been brought up for sensitivity’s sake, so I hope this isn’t seen as out of line.

A legitimate question, certainly not out-of-line.

I suppose the question is whether they are separate topics or the same topic.

A shooting in Arkansas and a shooting in New Hampshire happening a week apart are separate enough topics, and both newsworthy in their own right, that I think they each deserve their own thread. However, if the first shooting inspired a “gun control in the wake of Little Rock” thread, and the second inspired a “gun control in the wake of Concord” thread, I think those threads are both basically about gun control and should be merged.

I know from bitter experience that the community doesn’t really like “mega-threads” where all discussion is routed to one thread. There are some occasions where it happens naturally for major events (Russian invasion of Ukraine, coronavirus) but even then people like to have the ability to start threads about specific aspects.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 7:12 am

Fair enough. Thanks for your input!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 12:17 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:

I am that member and I am not offended by the suggestion. Actually merging all the mass shootings into one thread is something that has crossed my mind. It is something I did for Autism research because of the suggested links to negative outcomes that was repeatedly upsetting a particular member. I felt if it was upsetting that member it was upsetting other members who were not public about it. I do believe that posts about certain studies would get more responses if they were not in that MEGA thread but I have to weigh that with this being partially a support site.

The Coronavirus Mega thread still gets a lot of responses but by a small group of members. I do not think separating them would get more responses as people have learned to live with it and moved on.

As far as the mass shooting thread there is a numbing effect occurring. I post maybe 1/4 to a 1/3 of the mass shootings that occur. If I posted about every one I would have no time to post about anything else. Having regular mass shooting threads is way to slow down the normalization process. It also is a reminder that most mass shootings are not about somebody opening fire on people they have no association with.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:

I am that member and I am not offended by the suggestion. Actually merging all the mass shootings into one thread is something that has crossed my mind. It is something I did for Autism research because of the suggested links to negative outcomes that was repeatedly upsetting a particular member. I felt if it was upsetting that member it was upsetting other members who were not public about it. I do believe that posts about certain studies would get more responses if they were not in that MEGA thread but I have to weigh that with this being partially a support site.

The Coronavirus Mega thread still gets a lot of responses but by a small group of members. I do not think separating them would get more responses as people have learned to live with it and moved on.

As far as the mass shooting thread there is a numbing effect occurring. I post maybe 1/4 to a 1/3 of the mass shootings that occur. If I posted about every one I would have no time to post about anything else. Having regular mass shooting threads is way to slow down the normalization process. It also is a reminder that most mass shootings are not about somebody opening fire on people they have no association with.

I'm glad you're mindful about it. The reason I'm sensitive is because I hate having ASD so much that I don't like to have more reason to hate it when coming on to a support forum (not getting at you, just agreeing with what you said :) ). When these scary posts are merged into one thread I am actually less likely to stumble upon it or to open the thread, so it's out of sight out of mind for me, but is still easily accessible for other users if they want a read.
It's human psychology really, like when a sign says "do not touch" and you have that urge to touch the forbidden object no matter how stupid you know it would be. That's basically how I feel when a certain thread springs up about autistic people going to death camps or something, I see the thread title and think "I am panicking now, I have to open this thread to feed my anxiety so that I can freak out". It's not like I do it to be a jerk or anything, it's just...I don't know, like a "I fear to watch, yet I cannot turn away" type of situation. When these posts are merged into one thread I'm less likely to have any of those urges.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 2:50 pm

I wish you could turn to the next page from the bottom of the last page. Instead you have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to change to the next page once you have got to the bottom of the page you're on.

This does nothing for my astigmatism.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:42 pm

babybird wrote:
I wish you could turn to the next page from the bottom of the last page. Instead you have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page to change to the next page once you have got to the bottom of the page you're on.

This does nothing for my astigmatism.

Page numbers are on the top and bottom for me when I am in a thread.

Maybe you have your settings changed to something different? :o

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:45 pm

I use my phone for WP. I think they maybe on the top and bottom on a desk top.

Oh I see what you mean. I mean when you are browsing the forums. Not when you go into an actual topic.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:54 pm

babybird wrote:
I use my phone for WP. I think they maybe on the top and bottom on a desk top.

Oh I see what you mean. I mean when you are browsing the forums. Not when you go into an actual topic.

Ah yeah, it is the same for me when I go into a forum. The page numbers are all at the top and not on the bottom.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:58 pm

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I wish you could change the page from the bottom. Or at least have a "back to the top" button.

It gives me scrollers eye.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 4:17 pm

babybird wrote:
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I wish you could change the page from the bottom. Or at least have a "back to the top" button.

It gives me scrollers eye.

Yeah, that would be useful.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any updates forthcoming for the forum - but who knows?

Cornflake would be the best person to ask/who might know?