How do you regard the NECROBUMPING of old threads on WP?

Page 1 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

How do you regard the NECROBUMPING of old threads on WP?
I think it is always ok. 34%  34%  [ 28 ]
I think it is mostly ok under certain circumstances(specify....) 20%  20%  [ 17 ]
I don't view it positively or negatively. 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
I think it is mostly NOT ok but I can tolerate it under certain circumstances(specify...) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
I think it is never ok and it should be forbidden. 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Other(specify...) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83

slave
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 2:18 pm

It is clear that there are diverse views on WP toward the practice of NECROBUMPING.

The Urban Dictionary defines the term as "verb: (internet) To revive a long dormant forum thread by adding a new post, thus bringing it to the top of the forum list."

Some people are not bothered by the practice, but I have also seen others enraged by it. There are many strong views, so let's get it all out on the table. Let's find out how we as a group view this practice.

Please feel free to clarify your vote with as much explanation as you desire.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 2:50 pm

I usually don't like it unless the bumper is bringing new and relevant to the old topic.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 2:54 pm

I hate it. I always hate when a thread I posted on over 2 years ago gets bumped all the way to the top. I think threads need to be locked after a certain amount of time. People reply to posters who have quit years ago and it's pointless because in the time they've probably changed their minds. I always feel bad about seeing them in case any of the posters hate it as much as I do.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:01 pm

I think it depends. Sometimes it's fine as they add to what's already said, other times it's just annoying. There was once a few months back that a poster posted the same thing on 5+ maybe 10 threads about the same topic, there is no need for that.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:15 pm

It happens. It could happen to anyone. You click on the links on the bottom of a thread and whoops, necrobump.
I think it's bad, for the reasons already listed.
But I don't really care, soon that thread will be gone again if it's irrelevant.

It sucks though that under the current circumstances the same thread may be made countless times, always discussing the same topic in the same fashion over and over again...

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:25 pm

i have no problem with it. often, new info is added. if someone has something to add, why not let them?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:32 pm

ghoti wrote:
I usually don't like it unless the bumper is bringing new and relevant to the old topic.

This

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:33 pm

slave wrote:
It is clear that there are diverse views on WP toward the practice of NECROBUMPING.
Some people are not bothered by the practice, but I have also seen others enraged by it. There are many strong views, so let's get it all out on the table. Let's find out how we as a group view this practice.

I have a major problem with censorship, so I say, bring it on...
Granted, it is annoying when you respond to a necropost without realising, but get in the habit of checking the date stamp before replying...
Simples...

As to someone becoming "enraged"???
WTF???
Could someone explain why it is rage worthy... 8O lol...

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:36 pm

Earthling wrote:
It happens. It could happen to anyone. You click on the links on the bottom of a thread and whoops, necrobump.

No, it won't happen to anyone. I always check when a thread was first posted and last posted on. Is a 2 second check unreasonable if you want to avoid it? It's almost always either a new person or a few people who repeatedly do it. I think for some it's intentional.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:46 pm

I don't really give a s**t one way or the other.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Is a 2 second check unreasonable if you want to avoid it?

That's not the issue. People forget, people make mistakes.

It would be nice if a little notice popped up that said something like, "You are about to necro this thread. Are you sure you want to do this?"
Or maybe the titles of threads that have been inactive for more than 6 months could be a different color.
I also think getting rid of the suggested posts would help, as they are frequently several years old.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:09 pm

Earthling wrote:

It sucks though that under the current circumstances the same thread may be made countless times, always discussing the same topic in the same fashion over and over again...

It's called "perseveration":
"Definition of PERSEVERATION
: continuation of something (as repetition of a word) usually to an exceptional degree or beyond a desired point."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perseveration

The principle of not going over old ground is not valid...
Are you saying: Essentially nothing should be mentioned ever again since virtually everything has been said before in the present <sic> or the past?... :mrgreen:

Reductio ad Absurdum:
"Reductio ad absurdum is a mode of argumentation that seeks to establish a contention by deriving an absurdity from its denial, thus arguing that a thesis must be accepted because its rejection would be untenable."

We are autistic...
It is our job to perseverate... :mrgreen:

In summary:
*No I am not being sarcastic...
*I am not creating a straw man's argument...
*I was using "Reductio ad Absurdum" to make a point...
*I don't have a problem with seeing a topic repeated...
*I simply ignore it if it doesn't interest me...
*To do otherwise would suggest a desire to impose "dominance"...
*Not saying such "dominance" may not have it's merits at times...
*It does help to go thru a process "step by step" by different individuals...
*It is cathartic for some to do so...

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:12 pm

i think it is mostly ok.
if a similar topic cannot be found more recently, if the op is still active on the site, if the conversation is something that more people can add to, stuff like that.

i'm new here but i've been a member of another forum for a long time and its annoying when people bump drama-inducing threads, more than one bump of a different thread with the same topic, or because they are trying to re-ignite an intimate conversation that no one else cares about. when people bump their own thread because they were not satisfied with the responses is kinda a gray area. i think sometimes those topics deserve more responses, but most of the time it just wasn't a good topic imo.

but mostly i really don't care and i think its a good feature if its not misused :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:14 pm

If a person feels like a thread relates to them--and can't find "new" threads that relate to them, then I think it's definitely okay to necropost.

Either way, it's not really a cardinal sin, in my opinion.

No, the OP will probably never return--but it could induce a new discussion which might useful in some way.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:16 pm

@Pepe I don't like it and no amount of words will change that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2015, 4:21 pm

I had to learn to look at the dates before making a post so I wouldn't waste my time replying because of someone necrobumping and it got in the habit after awhile so the first thing I always see now is the time stamp on the post.

For me it depends, if its just a random thread or a game thread, it is fine. But other threads I find it annoying because the member who posted it is either long gone or the issue they posted about or ranted about is either long gone or irrelevant. People just start replying to posts by members who no longer come here. I just had to learn to check the dates so I wouldn't have wasted my time replying to someone who is no longer here.

And the time someone here posted years back with the word "bump" in their post and that was it and that was annoying because it was bumping the new threads into the next page and it was so annoying. I recall a few members were doing that and another user here posted a public thread asking for it to stop.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.