How do you regard the NECROBUMPING of old threads on WP?

Page 4 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

How do you regard the NECROBUMPING of old threads on WP?
I think it is always ok. 34%  34%  [ 28 ]
I think it is mostly ok under certain circumstances(specify....) 20%  20%  [ 17 ]
I don't view it positively or negatively. 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
I think it is mostly NOT ok but I can tolerate it under certain circumstances(specify...) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
I think it is never ok and it should be forbidden. 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Other(specify...) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 4:23 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
It's a bit like raising zombies from the dead to me...

You say that like it's a bad thing. In our household we have four cats, two expert zombie hunters and two in training, so that's not much of a deterrent or negative comparison. ;)

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 6:36 pm

Other (specify):

I think that "necrobumping" old threads is something that should be better tolerated by site veterans.

My rationale for this comes from the first discussion board I joined. Every time a "newbie" would find an interested old thread (because they were excited enough and interested enough in the site to read everything available and post their thoughts and ideas), certain veterans would dump on them and criticize them for it. "We've already discussed that topic in infinite detail, there's nothing new to be said!" the veterans would cry.

The result of this? Newbies were discouraged from posting and often left the site. The site is nearly dead now, and if you try to [view new posts] you get a [no new posts] message.

Do you want WrongPlanet to wither away into obscurity and die?

If that's what you want, by all means keep griping and whinging at people who bump old threads.

Of course, if you want the site to remain active and successful, I would suggest either ignoring "necrobumping" if it bothers you, or responding with positive vibes to new posts in old threads. Those of us who weren't here in 2010 because we didn't know we were autistic might have something to say after all. And if you don't like our posts, there's no need to respond. 8)

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 11:02 pm

As our condition involves repetitive behaviors there usually are numerous threads on the same topics anyway so why the insistence on reviving threads from when the DSM IV was current? l prefer in most cases not to read ancient posts but end up wasting a lot of time going into threads only to find they are necrobumped ones. Then since I do like current posts I end wasting time trying to figure out when the recent or current posts begin. It is just not a conversation to reply to a person who has moved on.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 11:36 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
I'm sending you some ice cream. <}}

:thumleft: :chef:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 11:37 pm

SilverProteus wrote:
It's a bit like raising zombies from the dead to me...

but quite often they're NICE zombies :mrgreen:

NowhereWoman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2015, 11:39 pm

I don't mind it unless it's a trolling type thread and the person is obviously zombie-ing it just to get people all riled up again. Otherwise, if a person has something to add, I don't know why s/he should be criticized for doing so. Perhaps the information in the thread is old for some, but it will be new for newcomers, and may help them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2015, 11:44 pm

I firmly believe that with some shaking and waving around, old threads can and should be reanimated from time to time because they are still pertinent. :idea:

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2015, 12:28 am

I personally don't mind if a thread is necrobumped because there might be an interesting discussion months or even years after the thread was first started. I've also heard of the term zombie thread to describe an old thread that was necrobumped.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 12:32 am

zombie thread :mrgreen:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 1:33 am

" Necrobumping " ~ Living dead doing 1970s disco dances , rotting flashy clothes on & coke spoons still dangling from them ? " Give it up or watch your limbs get flung a-loose ! " :lol:

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 3:17 am

I like to see old threads bumped up, especially if they contain really interesting and useful information I haven't seen before. It's like pulling a file out of a file cabinet. It seems better to me to keep adding relevant information to one file, rather than creating new ones that get scattered all over.

I can understand why it might bother someone, if it was an old post about something personal that they don't want to discuss anymore. But otherwise I don't understand why it would bother anyone. Enrage? really? 8O

And I don't see the problem with addressing posts made by people who no longer post here. It doesn't mean they are expecting those long-gone members to respond...but then again, you never know if those people might be lurking and might be encouraged to post again if they see one of their old threads bumped.

Rockymtnchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2015, 3:46 am

I've gone to look for a thread on one particular subject and often have found up to five or six different ones. I think I would prefer to see necrobumping on the original thread as much as possible so all the topic information stays in one place.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 125 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 93 of 200

RAADS:
Total score-161.0 Language-18.0 Social relatedness-69.0 Sensory/motor-39.0

Semir78
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2015, 4:01 am

I think it is mostly ok under certain circumstances

tetris wrote:
I think it depends. Sometimes it's fine as they add to what's already said, other times it's just annoying. There was once a few months back that a poster posted the same thing on 5+ maybe 10 threads about the same topic, there is no need for that.

I agree!
Before opening a new thread is better to use the function "search"otherwise it happens that some discussions "are lost in time like tears in rain"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 5:27 am

Rockymtnchris wrote:
I've gone to look for a thread on one particular subject and often have found up to five or six different ones. I think I would prefer to see necrobumping on the original thread as much as possible so all the topic information stays in one place.

sometimes it may seem that with at least some aspies here, trying to herd us into one thread topic and only one, is like trying to herd cats. :cat:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 6:24 am

...:-)

auntblabby wrote:
Rockymtnchris wrote:

sometimes it may seem that with at least some aspies here, trying to herd us into one thread topic and only one, is like trying to herd cats. :cat:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2015, 4:58 pm

Earthling wrote:
@Pepe I don't like it and no amount of words will change that.

lol...
I'm not trying to change your mind...
"The heart wants what the heart wants..." :wink:
"Whatever floats your boat"...
"Whatever bakes your cookies"...

I am simply clarifying my own thoughts with my own rational arguments...
I am simply providing an insight from another perspective...
Simples... ;)

I'm not like most people...
I cringe at having "power" over others...
Don't want the responsibility...
I will defend my own turf, however...
People sometimes confuse the two... 8O