How do you regard the NECROBUMPING of old threads on WP?

Page 6 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

How do you regard the NECROBUMPING of old threads on WP?
I think it is always ok. 34%  34%  [ 28 ]
I think it is mostly ok under certain circumstances(specify....) 20%  20%  [ 17 ]
I don't view it positively or negatively. 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
I think it is mostly NOT ok but I can tolerate it under certain circumstances(specify...) 14%  14%  [ 12 ]
I think it is never ok and it should be forbidden. 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Other(specify...) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 83

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 5:53 pm

I HATE it!! I hate it because of the newbies not realizing, and it makes people jump on them (which they shouldn't----they could be more diplomatic, about it). I hated when, before we got used to it, people weren't realizing it was an ancient thread, and "followed-along", and it makes people feel tricked, deceived, stupid, etc. I also hate it, because I feel like the only reason why it was done, was so that there are more threads to be picked-up by bots, thus more traffic driven here, thus more ads getting exposure, thus more money made; and, it makes me feel like that's what is more cared-about.

I can TOTALLY see why someone feel enraged by it----cuz, like I said, it makes people feel stupid; and, we've been made to feel stupid, all-of-our-lives, haven't we? Some of us are always dancing on the edge of enraged, anyway, cuz we feel like such losers, for a whole HOST of reasons.

I've learned a couple of tricks: Firstly, if it's the first time I've seen a thread, and the poster is not a name I recognize (depending on the forum----if it's one that I frequent, I feel I'll usually recognize the name), I beware. If it's the first time I've seen a thread, and it's got 80 posts, for instance, I beware. If, when I open a thread, I don't recognize the first few names / avatars, I beware.

When I realize it's an ancient thread, and people are talking to people who haven't been here in years, I immediately tell them----I say, something like: "This thread is FIVE years old----NOT that it's not still relevant----it's just that, if you're quoting someone, thinking you will get a response, you MIGHT NOT."

I've also noticed, as others have said, that there's a couple of people (veterans) who do it, CONSTANTLY----NOT, that I think they're doing it, just to get a rise out of people (although, I DO think they're only thinking of themselves)----but, it really, REALLY gets old. I think one day, a veteran had necrobumped, like, SIX threads, in a row, on the SAME forum----I wanted to smack 'em!! Why? Cuz, again, I'm thinking of the other people feeling "tricked" into responding to them, and I feel the person who did it wasn't thinking of anyone, but THEMSELVES.

I've seen people say: "I know this thread is 3 years old, but I think it's still relevant....." (they put that as the very first line of their post); that, to me, is acceptable. Sure, people should be able to post to whatever thread they like, but I feel threads older than, say, 1 year (2, at the very, VERY MOST) should be locked----that way, as someone who posted they like to see old threads, because there might be something there, they never thought-of, they won't be making so many MORE people feel stupid, by necrobumping it.

If you post on a thread (I did it ONCE and I was NOT happy, about it), and then you feel stupid because you didn't realize it was ancient, turn-around and make another post that lets everybody who follows you, know that it's old----that gives them a CHOICE. I HATE it when people feel bad about themselves----but, it's better than 20 MORE people feeling bad about themselves!

Often, when I make a post telling people it's an ancient thread, nobody else posts to it----that tells ME, that either people feel stupid / embarrassed cuz they necrobumped and didn't realize, and don't want to show their face on that thread, again; OR, newcomers to the thread don't want OTHER people thinking they're stupid, by posting on it. There HAVE been times when people continue to post after they've been told, and that's okay, cuz then they posted cuz they didn't mind (I realize people don't friggin' READ, sometimes----then, they have no one to blame, but themselves). This is a COMMUNITY----let's help each other out----if you notice that someone has necrobumped an ancient thread (even if you don't have any interest in adding to the discussion), don't just close the thread and go-on to the next one, let others know, so they have a CHOICE!!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 5:57 pm

the WP PTB could add a disclaimer or asterisk to threads older than a month since the last post, I could go along with that. but I have too much fun with the older threads to just give them up.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 7:06 pm

On the whole, I think it's quite cool for threads to be revived many years later but then I'm quite a nostalgic person. I've been on forums where threads have been brought back after 10-15 years.

I agree that people should have something worthwhile to contribute to the topic instead of just posting to say "Look, I found this old thread!" but if they have got something to say why not let them?

I don't understand why the possibility that the OP might have left a forum should automatically lead to an assumption that he/she has left and therefore any response to the topic is of no value. I can think of plenty of threads that I've started that have continued long after I gave up on them. Why should dormant threads be treated any differently?

I think people who are hostile towards old threads are the problem. If you don't like a thread, don't participate in it and focus on the threads you do like instead of wasting time and energy on negativity.

Last edited by EnglishInvader on 01 Oct 2015, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2015, 7:08 pm

^^^QFT :idea:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:02 am

EnglishInvader wrote:
On the whole, I think it's quite cool for threads to be revived many years later but then I'm quite a nostalgic person. I've been on forums where threads have been brought back after 10-15 years.

I agree that people should have something worthwhile to contribute to the topic instead of just posting to say "Look, I found this old thread!" but if they have got something to say why not let them?

I don't understand why the possibility that the OP might have left a forum should automatically lead to an assumption that he/she has left and therefore any response to the topic is of no value. I can think of plenty of threads that I've started that have continued long after I gave up on them. Why should dormant threads be treated any differently?

I think people who are hostile towards old threads are the problem. If you don't like a thread, don't participate in it and focus on the threads you do like instead of wasting time and energy on negativity.

Because they are directed at the OP, not the discussion (if any) after. More often than not this is what happens. I could understand a long thread in the forum games section being bumped since they're pretty timeless things, but if someone asked advice but had now quit people are wasting their time giving a long reply to them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:16 am

^^^ :idea: but on at least some of the necrothreads, the subject is far bigger than the OP, in terms of universal appeal, IOW there is some important point being augmented/clarified for the betterment of all readers, no matter if the OP is still around or not. :idea:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:22 am

Some I suppose. Others are more specific and there would be a low chance of anyone reading to relate to the situation and therefore the advice isn't of use and it quickly becomes buried again, probably before anyone who could benefit from the advice gets to read it. So all I really see it lost effort for the people replying.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:36 am

y'know, that reminds me sentimental self of the starfish story-

A young girl was walking along a beach upon which thousands of starfish had been washed up during a terrible storm. When she came to each starfish, she would pick it up, and throw it back into the ocean. People watched her with amusement.
She had been doing this for some time when a man approached her and said, “Little girl, why are you doing this? Look at this beach! You can’t save all these starfish. You can’t begin to make a difference!”
The girl seemed crushed, suddenly deflated. But after a few moments, she bent down, picked up another starfish, and hurled it as far as she could into the ocean. Then she looked up at the man and replied, “Well, I made a difference to that one!”
The old man looked at the girl inquisitively and thought about what she had done and said. Inspired, he joined the little girl in throwing starfish back into the sea. Soon others joined, and all the starfish were saved.

all these necrothreads are like the starfishes! :bounce: they need somebody to pay attention to them and love them some more :heart:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:48 am

They remind me more of this brown crusty starfish I found when digging a hole on a beach. It was completely dried up and dead. Those starfish in the story were on the top of the sand and alive, like the new threads are on the top of the page. The deeper into the sand you go, the fewer alive starfish you'll find.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:52 am

brown crusty starfish need love even more! :star: :fish:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:56 am

I picked it up and one of its legs fell off. It crumbled in my hands.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2015, 12:59 am

but you tried at least, and that is noble IMHO :wtg:

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 4:56 am

I think it's ok if it's a games thread or something that can be continuous. People responding to a thread that is so old the OP left in 2009 is pretty annoying, because responding to someone who is well long gone and won't even read it serves no purpose.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 5:10 am

doesn't matter if the OP doesn't see it, it is beyond the OP.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 10:07 pm

I have necrobumped a couple of times and I feel great.
A+++++ would necrobump again.

I might even look for this thread again in a year or two.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2015, 10:08 pm

^^^ :wtg: