Automatically playing ads are back?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 2:12 pm

Why does this issue keep returning? Isn't there any way to ban those ads from advertising on this site? Really annoying when an ad starts playing out of the blue, especially when you have to scroll down to bottom of forum page to try to mute it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 7:03 am

I had to install Adblock because those stupid ads kept crashing my browser.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 8:21 am

Agreed... these ads are annoying. They also cause me problems with things freezing up. It would be nice if the ads could just go away.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 12:18 pm

I find NoScript for Firefox to be the most useful addon I've ever installed. It allows you to selectively disable scripts and plugins. I can block content from specific sites and disable unnecessary scripts on pages that slow down my computer, and have a smooth, light browsing experience, even on my 15 year old computer. I'm not against advertising. I really don't mind ads that show a static image, but ones that play video and cover up the whole page are really irritating.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 9:53 am

I've been having trouble

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2016, 9:56 am

posting because of them. They freeze my screen. I even had problems posting this (hence the two posts).
I've noticed there seems to be a drop in activity on WP lately, as well, which could be due to this issue.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

02 Sep 2016, 3:31 pm

Adblock should be able to deal with that. Its like the first thing I installed after an AntiVirus for my tablet

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 4:29 pm

on ios, there's a browser that i really like, named "icab mobile". it's not the best one for all web browsing, but it's customizable, and it has built-in ad-blocking features. you also have the option to set filters to access each domain (or url pattern) as a different "user agent" (meaning you can force the website to load as if you were on a laptop or an android phone, for instance). there's more features that i use, but those alone are already more than worth the $2 to me

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2016, 10:53 pm

The browser I am using now (Opera) has a mute button integrated in their tab's if there any sound being played on that web-page. Alto it can be problematic at times when I have several dozen pages open at the same time.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2016, 1:42 pm

saxgeek wrote:
I can block content from specific sites...

Hey, I wonder, since a few people have complained about the "block user" (or, "block foe", or whatever it is) feature not working, if that software could be used, on this site, to block someone's posts! Have you ever tried it, saxgeek?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 2:06 pm

Sigbold wrote:
The browser I am using now (Opera) has a mute button integrated in their tab's if there any sound being played on that web-page. Alto it can be problematic at times when I have several dozen pages open at the same time.

I am using Vivaldi, it's from the creators of Opera but apparently it's better for windows 10 than opera, so basically somewhat new and improved Opera. It does have a lot of customizing settings so perhaps there is some sort of ad-block feature, suppose I will check it out.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 2:52 pm

hmm turns out google chrome extensions work for vivaldi, just downloaded an adblocker, so now I will see if it blocks those ads or not.

*update, well this ad blocker, https://redmorph.com seems to be working, haven't seen a single ad at the bottom of the page since I installed it. It is kind of cool as it shows where the ads and other junk it blocks are coming from, so you can change level of security and such for each website and I think there is a block list where you can list websites you want entirely blocked.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2016, 9:18 am

At last. Something I can work with, rather than against. I had one before, but it expired. This one is being trialled. I will seek customization from this with my other browsers too.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Sep 2016, 11:10 am

The reason I use Firefox for a browser is for the add-ons Adblock Plus, NoScript, and Ghosterly. Never see ads.

Lantylam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 7:44 am

^ This exactly.