Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ChorisOnoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2016, 2:49 pm

I have tried to find a thread/discussion about Religious/Spiritual matters that is not "a debate", but just positive conversation about spirituality/beliefs, but have failed.
Where on the Site would I find some such or if there is none, where would I start such a Topic?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:13 pm

You could start one in the Politics, Philosophy and Religion sub-forum.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 3:49 pm

Most religious topics go to PPR, but as you say ChorisOnoma, they tend to end up as debates.
Unfortunately there is no part of the forum particularly for positive conversations. It could have been a good addition IMO.

Random is a possibility but your topic isn't really random enough. I think your best bet might be Members Only or even In-Depth Adult Life Discussion.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

ChorisOnoma

26 Sep 2016, 4:04 pm

TheAP wrote:
Yes, I could, but isnt the P,P&Religion forum the debate battle ground of battle grounds on WP?
I was more thinking along the lines of "Spiritual Minds Congregate to share Experience, Strength and Hope and the Odd Joke about Monks, Holy Water and Gefilte Fish", not "Atheists & Theists Chop each other to pieces every Friday Night over Pizza and the Flying Spagetti Monster".
I want a place where the participants wont go home missing emotional limbs, or need to pray for a healing miracle once they log out... :lol:
Skilpadde wrote:
. I think your best bet might be Members Only or even In-Depth Adult Life Discussion.
Yes, Skilpadde, I guess the In-depth forum would be a nice place. I will try that - Thank you!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 4:28 pm

You're welcome! :)

By the way, I gotta say, your PPR description made me laugh :lol:

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 4:28 pm

Sounds good.

Members only sounds as worth trying.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2016, 4:36 pm

ChorisOnoma wrote:
TheAP wrote:
Yes, I could, but isnt the P,P&Religion forum the debate battle ground of battle grounds on WP?
I was more thinking along the lines of "Spiritual Minds Congregate to share Experience, Strength and Hope and the Odd Joke about Monks, Holy Water and Gefilte Fish", not "Atheists & Theists Chop each other to pieces every Friday Night over Pizza and the Flying Spagetti Monster".
I want a place where the participants wont go home missing emotional limbs, or need to pray for a healing miracle once they log out... :lol:

Well, you could put in the thread title or the OP that you don't want this to be a debate.

ChorisOnoma

26 Sep 2016, 4:57 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
You're welcome! :)

By the way, I gotta say, your PPR description made me laugh :lol:
:lol: I derived it from the few snippets around WP where others have let slip one or two less than impressed impressions of what goes on in PPR - If nothing else I have (almost) learned that if the rules are said to be somewhat 'lenient', I am better off keeping my sensitive soul out, out and away :) :P

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 9:18 am

TheAP wrote:
Well, you could put in the thread title or the OP that you don't want this to be a debate.

But there is nothing to compel members to respect such an instruction. Likewise, there is nothing compelling someone who starts a spirituality/religion topic in PPR to respond to provocative replies.

The only place where only supportive comments are allowed is The Haven. That might be a very appropriate place for the topic you describe as religion and spiritual practices are often used to help people through tough times or enhance people's state of mind. Congregating to share experience, strength and hope sounds just right for the Haven.

If anyone comes into that topic there and wants to tell you there is no god or all spiritual ideas are rubbish, a mod will remove those posts as soon as they are reported.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 9:23 am

You have to have debates in life. You can't get away from them.

The key is to conduct yourself in a dignified manner at all times.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

Uhm yeah you can absolutely avoid debates. If I ever wanna talk about anything, I just want a nice conversation much like OP said, and talk about it, speculate about it and have fun and get excited about the topic. I have no interest in debates whatsoever, and if someone tries to make it one, I'll start ignoring them TBH and nope out of it. I don't have the patience for stuff like that, it's not my thing at all. I have nothing to say beyond what I think of it. Repeating my position over and over isn't for me.

It's my opinion that we really need a part of the forum to be about just talking about stuff, with much the same rules as the Haven but without having to feel blue for posting there. For when you just wanna talk about something.
Just like I posted that in site suggestions the other day.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 1:38 pm

I don't like debates until someone calls my actions into debate,

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 5:00 pm

I don't care for them, either.

But they are inevitable. And you have to be able to make your way in them.

I'm not a very good debater....but at least I try LOL

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 8:04 pm

So, does that mean it's OK to have a religious thread in the haven, as long as it's meant for support/encouragement and not to convert others?

Likewise, is it acceptable to talk about one's own experiences in the context of sharing their personal journey?

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 8:09 pm

Though I have not used it frequently - I have had a few PM on the subject. So far all have been positive.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2016, 8:09 pm

DataB4 wrote:
So, does that mean it's OK to have a religious thread in the haven, as long as it's meant for support/encouragement and not to convert others?

Likewise, is it acceptable to talk about one's own experiences in the context of sharing their personal journey?

Yes its completely fine with in the written rules.

However,

I would probably say that the mods don't like it which is unjust and does show bias but its okay, I forgive them.

You might want to refrain from having the actual rules open to public if you are just going to put what ever slant you want on it anyway.