Recommending wrongplanet forums be split by region

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2017, 5:34 pm

What I mean and I'll give an example the jobs forum. Instead of having just one you have one for United States, Canada, and Europe.

My reason for this and I think for other forums this works as well but many people from Europe for example will respond to people from the United State's questions. Often these questions will be about the law of the land and work place issues.

What I often notice is many Europeans are making suggestions or quoting law that doesn't exist here and some without the realization that each state in the United States has a different government and different laws within those states.

Which reminds me of a situation when I called Chase Bank about a direct deposit not showing up and Chase's India loss prevention held my money thinking it was a scam.

They thought I was lying when I told them my State Comptroller paid us and the Indian rep declared there is only one United States and only one government.

After threewaying another Chase rep and actual American tried to explain this to him the closest we got was him asking "So States are like a province? That does not change the fact there is only one American government."

Me and the American Chase rep laughed I called Monday when the American loss prevention department was open. I simply told the guy to read the comments I won't say what the problem is and he busted out laughing.

There is an extreme disconnect between European people and people from the United States on how we go about getting jobs with the law is and also things like healthcare.

We see a lot of Europeans here and elsewhere telling Americans here asking about how to get a dianogisis that how it's to hard to get what and it can take years or to much money and how they should take an online test instead when for us getting a referral is one call away.

Please consider dividing the forms for things like jobs which can help keep people who need help in their region can get the best advice for their region that makes sense

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 3:34 am

You would have to have regional forums not only for the US, Canada, Europe, but one for Central and Latin America, Muslum World, Asia, Russia is probably large enough to be a region. There will still be significant differences laws in different countries within regions, and amoung different states in the USA.

Off topic a bit while you are correct that in a lot of countries in order to get an autism assesment you have to get a referral from a General Practitioner and it can take years, this procedure is for govenment run programs. In many countries there is an option for non government health insurence. In the states you can just call (a lot of doctors have an online form for new patients) and the waiting period is a lot shorter then in most countries stating that an autism assesement is just one call away is a significant oversimplification. Often insurance does not cover assesments for adults and competent clinitions to assess adults is very very difficult to find.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:38 am

HisShadowX wrote:
Instead of having just one you have one for United States, Canada, and Europe.

Many people from Europe for example, will respond to people from the United State's questions.
Often, these questions will be about the law of the land and work place issues.

There is an extreme disconnect between European people and people from the United States on how we go about getting jobs with the law is and also things like healthcare.
We see a lot of Europeans here and elsewhere telling Americans about how to get a diagnoisis and how it's to hard to get and it can take years or to much money and how they should take an online test instead when for us getting a referral is one call away.

Please consider dividing the forms for things like jobs which can help keep people who need help in their region can get the best advice for their region that makes sense

Trying to understand how any of this has to do with one fundamental observation that is clearly the variocal difference of one and the same. Actually, its Americans asking Europeans how to get a diagnosis in the U.K from what I remember when all hope is being denied to them back home. Perhaps compassionate observation and not brain washing would fix the ordeal for them.

I'm not so sure that anyone wants jobs with the law who's not affectively seeking the law on personal judgement and through bias common stratedgies.

As for other workplace issues, I don't think it matters what the position is called, its clarifying the description that counts. Whether or not that description is available in most European countries, who cares?

Whats the difference is terms of getting an assessment for your health as I can't grasp why matching people up through self diagnostic criteria would base any impact on calling up for a referral? It doesn't match up the way you state as a person with traits needs to present themselves as their own case witness, or include a guardian for that effective referral to be made. This includes all job assessments and collaborative 'evidence' from a G.P.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jun 2017, 7:01 am

Not much point in further splits (personally I'd like to reduce the number of forums to four or five, but please note that I have no power to enforce that). After all, someone in Germany knows no more about Scotland than Oregon, and what's relevant to Albany might not be relevant to the Bronx. Better if people simply quote their jurisdiction in their posts to weed out the inappropriate replies.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 7:13 am

I don't think it's necessary. All that is necessary is for everyone to remember to mention their general location, if it isn't in their profile info at the side.

"I've just been unfairly fired from my job for not being able to do a task due to my processing disorder, and I think it may be illegal for them to do that, can anyone tell me? I'm in North Carolina/ I'm in the UK / I'm in France."

"I'm seeking adult diagnosis, what is it going to cost and how long is it going to take to get to see someone? I'm in the UK / I'm in the US in California / I'm in Australia."

By the same token, if nothing is specified, it's up to the responder to ascertain. "Where are you? If you're in the UK/ If you're in the US / I can help/ I don't know but I've read that there is a . . ."

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I don't think it's necessary. All that is necessary is for everyone to remember to mention their general location, if it isn't in their profile info at the side.

"I've just been unfairly fired from my job for not being able to do a task due to my processing disorder, and I think it may be illegal for them to do that, can anyone tell me? I'm in North Carolina/ I'm in the UK / I'm in France."

"I'm seeking adult diagnosis, what is it going to cost and how long is it going to take to get to see someone? I'm in the UK / I'm in the US in California / I'm in Australia."

By the same token, if nothing is specified, it's up to the responder to ascertain. "Where are you? If you're in the UK/ If you're in the US / I can help/ I don't know but I've read that there is a . . ."

How you can go about getting a diangosis here in the United States you call your insurance company and you get a referral and the cost for in network is always your co pay in which mine is $20.00 and your typically seen within the week at the earliest or if the place is crowded a month.

So when Europeans post back the length of time it can be seen and having to pay out of pocket because it takes so long that's the case here and it does a disservice here.

In the work forums for about a year I've witnessed people asking about workplace law with Europeans convincing some people this is the route they need to go with one person paying for a lawyer consultantation only to be told that what that European told him was false and is legal in the state he lives in and could not take legal action.

I've had to in some cases try to point out that the european giving the advice doesn't know what he is talking about with US law as I posted the Department of Labor FAQ for a certain state showing what you can and cannot do.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:44 am

This is a problem with the person that asks the question. If you ask about diagnosis or legal matters and don't say what country it is for then you deserve all the bad advice you get, learn how to ask a question.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:51 am

To HisShadow --

My point is still valid. The person asking the question simply needs to state right away where they are.

And then whoever responds will know upfront "oh wait, he's in the UK, I'm in Australia....my answer about that won't be the right details for his country. . ."

That's all.

And if people from another country DO respond anyway with what happens in their country, well the OP can obviously just say thanks but I did say I'm in ____ (state the country).

I don't see what the problem is.

I don't think this needs separate forums boards. Just say where you are and listen to the people who say they're in the same country. EDIT --- by which I mean, if it's a question asking specifically about a law, diagnosis, a store chain, and they are seeking information they will probably only get from their own countrymen and women. I didn't mean general discussion. :)

Last edited by BirdInFlight on 16 Aug 2017, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 11:52 am

IDK I don't want to just talk to people in the U.S...granted you do bring up a good point about advice not being exactly relevant due to region differences.

Perhaps there is some way to make it more obvious what region someone is from like some tag attached to the avatar/profile name, or maybe the flag of whatever country...then again perhaps some people don't want to have their region obvious not sure what the consensus is on that.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 1:27 pm

Hi Sweetleaf --- no no, I didn't mean just listen or talk to only the people who are in your own country, lol!

I meant specifically in the case of advice that has to do with something practical, where different countries will have different laws or guidelines. Like, for example, if someone asks what the law is on if you get arrested or how to seek a diagnosis when you're an adult. It won't be the same information depending on which country they're in. It's often happened that they didn't get a reply with the information that applies to their own country.

That's the only time when it would be important to know where someone is and have replies that are from other people in that same place.

For all other purposes of course we all want to talk about all other things with anyone from any country.

Bur for practical advice is what I inferred the OP was talking about. He thinks it's a problem when someone asks about laws or obtaining a diagnosis, for example, and nobody knows what country the person is in, and people receive the wrong advice because it's different in their country.

The OP wants separate forums for countries.

I was saying I don't think that's necessary. I think if someone has "nation specific" questions they should just make sure to mention which country they're living in so that people who also live there will know right away they might have the information.