That's Great! The bots on this forum!

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2017, 11:54 pm

We wish it did too, Claradoon! Your reports help to guide us to whichever forum the spam is in, as well as alerting us to its arrival, so it does help our task of removing it.

The alternative of reporting spam via a post in the WP subforum on the mod attention thread can spead things up sometimes rather than using the report button on the actual spam posts though. This is because when there is new post from a member there, a link sends an email notification to the private email address of mods, for example: even if I am not logged on to Wrong Planet, but happen to be using my email, I see the report email arrive immediately and if other circumstances permit, can remove it then and there.

Conversely, reporting spam via the report button goes to a page that won't be seen automatically by any of the mods, until a mod logs on and visits that page - so there can be time lapses before any mod sees "button" reports.

Both kinds of reports assist though. We can't check all posts on all forums all the time (we have lives!!)

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 12:39 am

Thanks for the tip about the sub forum.

It seems as soon as the spammers create the bogus account they flood the target knowing the time is limited before they are spotted, deleted and banned.

Thank you for removing all the spammer's rubbish from the forum again.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 May 2017, 2:22 am

B19 wrote:
We wish it did too, Claradoon! Your reports help to guide us to whichever forum the spam is in, as well as alerting us to its arrival, so it does help our task of removing it.

The alternative of reporting spam via a post in the WP subforum on the mod attention thread can spead things up sometimes rather than using the report button on the actual spam posts though. This is because when there is new post from a member there, a link sends an email notification to the private email address of mods, for example: even if I am not logged on to Wrong Planet, but happen to be using my email, I see the report email arrive immediately and if other circumstances permit, can remove it then and there.

Conversely, reporting spam via the report button goes to a page that won't be seen automatically by any of the mods, until a mod logs on and visits that page - so there can be time lapses before any mod sees "button" reports.

Both kinds of reports assist though. We can't check all posts on all forums all the time (we have lives!!)

The alternative of reporting spam via a post in the WP subforum on the mod attention thread
Where is that? Can you give me an url? Do I post or send an IM to somebody? I'd much rather do whatever is speedier in result.

As for time and place, I can tell you that now - Sundays, 5am est. Edit: General Autism Forum. They might be elsewhere too but I've never seen them.

Last edited by Claradoon on 22 May 2017, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 2:28 am

Claradoon wrote:
B19 wrote:

The alternative of reporting spam via a post in the WP subforum on the mod attention thread
Where is that? Can you give me an url? Do I post or send an IM to somebody? I'd much rather do whatever is speedier in result.

As for time and place, I can tell you that now - Sundays, 5am est.

It's this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=237032

You can just post a link there to the spammer's profile, or to a problematic post, and when they have time the moderators will take a look. Since all posts in that thread are emailed to the mods, chatting there is discouraged -- it's just for the simple reporting of problems.

There Are Four Lights!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 2:31 am

Thanks for posting that link Darmok.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 2:40 am

It's because Bangladesh doesn't know how to stop these people so they allow them to flood WP instead.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 May 2017, 2:44 am

Now I'm a little grumpy. You don't want to authorize me to delete bots myself?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 4:18 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
It's because Bangladesh doesn't know how to stop these people so they allow them to flood WP instead.

bangladesh is muslim majority i believe.

all i'm seeing is hindu BS.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 5:27 am

Jaipur's more likely the indian spam-center, last time i checked it was
http://davebuesing.com/google-analytics ... ffic-bots/
but i know nothing (of IT)

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 11:19 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
wrongcitizen wrote:

bangladesh is muslim majority i believe.

all i'm seeing is hindu BS.

Oops :L
I just thought that because one of the messages I saw was from Dhaka and the rest were probably India anyways.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2017, 11:56 pm

Site needs more limited power moderators... Some of the bots posts would be left up for hours. I would be more then happy to assist in that aspect if needed.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2017, 12:09 am

SH90 wrote:
Site needs more limited power moderators... Some of the bots posts would be left up for hours. I would be more then happy to assist in that aspect if needed.

Me too. But gallumphing around WP in order to lay the bot post on Mods' plates (they have lives too!) doesn't fit very well. Is it something that would be difficult to create? I guess so - you'd feel obliged to flag bots so I wouldn't delete real posts or something? How about Report = Remove From Screen until Mods look at it. It takes a couple of hours and even so I don't get them all.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 2:26 am

Claradoon, I'm sorry if my earlier post comment upset you. It wasn't meant as a reference/reply to you in any way. I was making the point that it is impossible for a mod team to provide total coverage every hour of every year that some members want (not you); we would soon burnout if we tried to meet those expectations. I appreciate the help you recently gave us by reporting. I was not being critical of you in any way.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 10:50 am

Have the mods of this site made sure there is coverage at all times? On another forum I am on, they have a few mods active at all times (very active, currently 4,000 members logged on). Basically, responsible active posters and they see what time they are online the most. Some are more active in the morning, some in the afternoon. For example, when I log on in the morning, an section will be filled top-bottom with spam and may not be cleared for hours. You may need to fill an morning position, even if it's just to combat spam.

The other forum's method to combat spam is only allowing paid email accounts. Such as private domain or something offered by a service provider. They don't allow Google or Yahoo type. But this is not an option for this community.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 10:27 am

Personally I just go to page 3 or 4, wherever the spam stream stops and read and post as usual. It's really not that big of a deal to me to have to skip a couple of pages. I know it will get removed so meh.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jun 2017, 4:06 pm

I've implemented filters and the spam should stop for the most part. :mrgreen: