Page 5 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 5:25 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
In this case, he was challenged, and just proceeded to scream insults at people and play the victim.

Just like other markets, the marketplace of ideas only works with sensible regulation.

Then surely give him a cooling of period?

He was a victim. For reasons i have already explained, but i understand the rules here.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 5:30 pm

Drake wrote:
The only thing I had any problem with in the thread was saying opposition to multiculturalism is forbidden. Since it's about culture, unless the culture itself was racist, then presumably anyone could become a part of the culture, so it wouldn't be racial discrimination it would be cultural. Discrimination based on beliefs and behaviour. These are things that a person can change and we can debate, unlike a person's race. Multiculturalism is fine by me as long as the cultures are compatible. Islam is really the only one I know of that in certain forms is not compatible with Western culture and exists in Western countries. Though I suppose you could also include something like the Mafia which certainly has it's own distinct culture. Criminal organisations have their own cultures that are not compatible with that of the nation they reside in.

Something that would have interested me but I was too late to ask was his saying that he believes at minimum 70% of a country should be of the host race. Now does this mean he thinks this should be something that's enforced, or merely that he thinks it's beneficial to a country to be that way and he'd only seek to persuade people to move to an appropriate country rather than force them? If so, I don't see anything wrong with that. People would be free to do as they pleased. We never got to find out why he felt that way.

It's his own fault what happened though. He asked the question and Walrus answered, and then he reacted very badly.

Uh, I'm sorry. It's only racist if the 70% is white.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 12:25 am

Suggestion: Create a new sub-forum where the rules would be interpreted somewhat more loosely than everywhere else on the board, where the rules would be interpreted in a strict sense.

Instead of just one "Politics, Philosophy, and Religion" sub-forum, we could have two. I'm not sure what the name of the second one should be, so for now I'll refer to the two sub-forums as PPR-1 and PPR-2.

In PPR-1, and everywhere else on the board except for PPR-2, the prohibition against racism would be interpreted strictly, e.g. no advocacy of ethnic nationalism. In PPR-2, on the other hand, it would be permitted to make abstract arguments in favor of ethnic nationalism as long as one does not insult any specific race, nationality, or religion. Any similar ambiguities in the rules against sexism and homophobia could likewise be interpreted loosely in PPR-2 and more strictly everywhere else.

To discourage people from joining Wrong Planet for the sole or main purpose of posting extreme views, I would suggest that the PPR-2 forum be members-only, not visible to the general public.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 8:57 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Suggestion: Create a new sub-forum where the rules would be interpreted somewhat more loosely than everywhere else on the board...
We do not need another PP&R subforum just to provide another outlet for racists, sexists, and other haters to bash the disabled, LGBTQ people, minorities, men/women, religions/atheism, the Left/Right/Center and America.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 9:05 am

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Suggestion: Create a new sub-forum where the rules would be interpreted somewhat more loosely than everywhere else on the board...
We do not need another PP&R subforum just to provide another outlet for racists, sexists, and other haters to bash the disabled, LGBTQ people, minorities, men/women, religions/atheism, the Left/Right/Center and America.

Hang on a mo , I'll just create a new sub forum called 'Hate' :twisted: ( I've always been tempted to change the D to an H in Love & Dating )

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 9:47 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Hang on a mo , I'll just create a new sub forum called 'Hate' :twisted: ( I've always been tempted to change the D to an H in Love & Dating )

Tallyman used to (publically) call it the "Hate and Loathing" :lol:

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 10:18 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

Tallyman used to (publically) call it the "Hate and Loathing" :lol:

Good name :lol:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 12:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

The point is to make the rules a bit stricter in all the other sub-forums while still providing these people with a limited outlet that lets them express themselves a little (but not much) more freely. Concentrating all this stuff in one part of the board would make it easier for the rest of us to deal with it (either by ignoring it or by arguing against it, as we prefer). Also, making the proposed new forum non-public (members only) would make the presence of these people less publicly embarrassing to the Wrong Planet community as a whole.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 22 Aug 2019, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 12:28 pm

How about just asking the moderators to be more strict? True, people like me would get more warnings, but the really bad people might eventually disappear.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 1:20 pm

I feel like there are good, useful threads in "love and dating"----in addition to those where men attack women, and women attack men.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 1:35 pm

Fnord wrote:
How about just asking the moderators to be more strict? True, people like me would get more warnings, but the really bad people might eventually disappear.

Simply making them disappear from WP doesn't address the larger social problem, which is that, as far as I can tell, large numbers of autistic men are getting drawn into (1) the Incel subculture (for obvious reasons) and then, from there, (2) the larger "Manosphere" and then, from there, (3) neo-Nazism or other forms of white nationalism.

So I think WP would be doing a great service to the larger autistic community by having a place where some of us could debate against these views directly without feeling overwhelmed. Having hints of these views in several different sub-forums all over the board, as is the case now, not only makes the board as a whole feel unfriendly to people of color, LGBT people, etc., but also makes the prospect of debating against these views feel (to me, at least) a lot more overwhelming than it would be if their views were confined to just one (relatively non-public) part of the board that I could go into only when I felt like it.

To me, the ethnic nationalist goal of cultural homogeneity is obviously against the interests of autistic people. The case for cultural homogeneity, as summed up in Rudyard Kipling's poem "The Stranger" (which can be found on lots of immigration-restrictionist and white nationalist websites) is basically that people from the same cultural background have the same body language and unspoken social rules, hence can more easily decide whether to trust each other. The problem with this, for autistic people, should be obvious.

Quite a few times here on WP (though not in the current PPR forum) I have sung the praises of my highly multi-cultural neighborhood with people from all over the world. It is just so much easier for autistic people to get along with other people in a highly multicultural neighborhood than in a culturally homogeneous neighborhood!

Currently, in both the PPR and News sub-forums (and occasionally the "Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation" sub-forum), I've often felt like I was dealing with a bunch of covert neo-Nazis who aren't allowed to express their views directly but are constantly talking around them, e.g. by griping obsessively about SJWs. I think it would be good if I and others could debate against the very heart of their ideology (the goal of cultural homogeneity) in a forum where they were also free to try to defend their goal (of cultural homogeneity) directly.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 22 Aug 2019, 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 1:53 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:

Quite a few times here on WP (though not in the current PPR forum) I have sung the praises of my highly multi-cultural neighborhood with people from all over the world. It is just so much easier for autistic people to get along with other people in a highly multicultural neighborhood than in a culturally homogeneous neighborhood!

I live in a city that works like that, plus it's full of eccentrics etc. I agree, it's wonderful and both a haven and heaven for NDs, BUT there's a general attitude of live and let live and nobody can hit me over the head with an aggressive rant. When people engage in that kind of discussion they do so willingly and from a position of calm and tolerance. Unfortunately, this is not exactly the situation on WP right now, these days most people run on frustrations, a very short fuse and a bag of chips.

Like you, I don't think people should be banned solely based on their views as long as they express themselves in a civilised manner and the discussion doesn't escalate into a shouting match. As I mentioned above, I doubt that would be possible right now on this forum.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 2:05 pm

I don't like stifling free speech. I believe this nation was founded on the right to free speech.

I feel like it would be a good challenge to refute the beliefs of folks who espouse something like neo-Nazi beliefs----or espouse beliefs which were found in the Khmer Rouge and the 1960s Cultural Revolution in Red China, to state a salient example of "radical left wing" beliefs.

However, there are people here who feel traumatized by those sorts of views----for whatever reason.

At least, put a disclaimer in the PPR or News section which would serve as sort of a "trigger warning"----that there might be discussions in these subfora which might upset some people.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 3:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like it would be a good challenge to refute the beliefs of folks who espouse something like neo-Nazi beliefs----or espouse beliefs which were found in the Khmer Rouge and the 1960s Cultural Revolution in Red China, to state a salient example of "radical left wing" beliefs.

Thanks for saying this. I very much agree.

kraftiekortie wrote:
However, there are people here who feel traumatized by those sorts of views----for whatever reason.

At least, put a disclaimer in the PPR or News section which would serve as sort of a "trigger warning"----that there might be discussions in these subfora which might upset some people.

I disagree with the latter solution. I feel that both the News section and the public PPR section should become more friendly to people of racial/ethnic minorities, more friendly to LGBT people, and more friendly to political moderates, so that people in these latter categories can have places where they can comfortably share news and talk about their political views without constantly bumping into thinly-disguised neo-Nazi dog whistles.

That's why I propose a separate new sub-forum which would be members-only (not visible to the general public) and would have a single big trigger warning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 4:21 pm

I agree in the necessity of a friendly, inclusive environment for all here.

I'm a political moderate myself.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 5:03 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Simply making them disappear from WP doesn't address the larger social problem, which is that, as far as I can tell, large numbers of autistic men are getting drawn into (1) the Incel subculture (for obvious reasons) and then, from there, (2) the larger "Manosphere" and then, from there, (3) neo-Nazism or other forms of white nationalism...
As the saying goes, "Not my monkeys; not my circus." The moderators are not responsible for what people do or say away from this website, only for dealing with what people post on it. If you want to deal with "the larger social problem", then go right ahead. Don't let me stop you. Don't try to involve me in it, either.