Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2019, 8:47 pm

When I joined this site in 2008 it was highly active. It seemed that no sooner than you made a post than someone else would post right behind you. And members were actively posting every second it seemed somewhere on the site. I have been away awhile and have since returned. Where is everyone? I know there are still a lot here, but not like before. I made a post on the Members Only section 45 minutes ago, and I am still the last person to post on Members Only. I don't see the activity here that I did several years ago. What is going on?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 9:06 pm

I've no idea as I have only joined in may, as I wanted to ask a question. I have found the people on this site amazing. So knowledgeable. I never knew I had autistic traits. I just wanted to find out about something which I now know to be partial and full shutdowns.
I don't know how things used to be.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Nov 2019, 9:27 pm

There were times back in the early days when the site was so busy with members posting that when you tried to send a post, you would get a message that said something to the effect that there were too many postings happening at the current time for the post to go through. There used to be a window like thing at the top of the various rooms here which showed what members were in there. Usually, there were many in each room posting one right after the other. Often times I recall posting a response to someone only to find that by the time I posted it, someone else had come in right before me. In the games area this was particularly evident. The amount of posting traffic is definitely down a lot since then. But I still love the site and am glad to be back. I used to get some anxiety about the hectic nature here, maybe I will find it more relaxing now.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 10:47 pm

The place is experiencing the same demise as any other forum I have been on. There are no forums of this type I know of that are very active these days. Other forms of social media are more popular it seems.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 3:05 am

EzraS wrote:
The place is experiencing the same demise as any other forum I have been on. There are no forums of this type I know of that are very active these days. Other forms of social media are more popular it seems.

What EzraS says and also this site has had a lot of bugs and usability issues over the years.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 4:47 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I've no idea as I have only joined in may, as I wanted to ask a question. I have found the people on this site amazing. So knowledgeable. I never knew I had autistic traits. I just wanted to find out about something which I now know to be partial and full shutdowns.
I don't know how things used to be.

You only started in May and already you have nearly 5,000 posts? Impressive! :D

Yes I'm finding it frustrating that there is so little activity on WP nowadays. I know the site can be buggy but I haven't had many problems with it, and I use this site a lot (every day).
And 45 minutes is nothing to still be waiting for a reply. I've waited DAYS before I got a reply - and I was the last posted in the particular whole subforum for at least 2 days!

The only subforums that are active are the off the wall and the PPR.
And often the most boring threads stay active with numerous pages, like for example a thread titled "I love bananas". I mean, yes I love bananas too, but there's only so much discussion you can have about bananas.

Lastly I hate it when you get 10 replies all in one hour only to find that everyone has gone off-topic from your OP, like someone has complimented someone's avatar and the thread turns into a discussion about the avatar instead of about your OP. Or if you use a word that doesn't get used in the US and you get Americans discussing that word, or the thread even turns into a debate about it. I'm like, "I'm excuse me but that word isn't important, can we please stay on topic?!"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 6:05 am

I noticed that those lovely bird descriptions didn't last long before it said veteran. I just post the normal amount I guess. I stop posting when I am asleep. :D
I like bananas too! Did I mention how bananas can de-rail a thread? :P

I think it was May I started. I seem to remember May. What month are we on now? Uhmmm.

Social media. Is this social media? Where do people usually go as this site is the most well used site I am on I think.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 8:04 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I noticed that those lovely bird descriptions didn't last long before it said veteran. I just post the normal amount I guess. I stop posting when I am asleep. :D
I like bananas too! Did I mention how bananas can de-rail a thread? :P

I think it was May I started. I seem to remember May. What month are we on now? Uhmmm.

Social media. Is this social media? Where do people usually go as this site is the most well used site I am on I think.

It's still got some kick left for this type of format. People go where I don't like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Instagram, Snapchat, Tumblr.

I did actually make a post to Reddit for the online game I play, haven't logged back in since then.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 2:20 pm

I know one way of getting people to notice your threads quicker: put "Trump" in the title. That will get every US member's attention.
:lol:

Note: don't really do it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 2:48 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I know one way of getting people to notice your threads quicker: put "Trump" in the title. That will get every US member's attention.
:lol:

Note: don't really do it.

Especially if it's positive, like, "TRUMP the gift that keeps on giving"

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2019, 4:28 pm

My favorite forum is dying. :cry:

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 5:25 pm

If you look in "getting to know each other, you'll see a lot of new people. Obviously, not all of them will post very often, it's something to point to for solace.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 6:03 pm

TheCherokeeRosePrince wrote:
My favorite forum is dying. :cry:

I feel upset about it too. I mean I use other social media like Facebook but I still visit here often. It's just as easy to get here as it is to get to Facebook or other social media sites, at least for me because I have the WP Index page bookmarked. Checking here is as impulsive as checking Facebook. I don't think I'll ever leave this site.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 8:36 pm

it's simply going towards the same fate as all other phpbb forums made around it's time. i'm surprised its even active at all, as it is

even if it were to die tomorrow 15.5 years is nothing to scoff at. we had a good run i'd say technical issues notwithstanding.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 9:19 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
it's simply going towards the same fate as all other phpbb forums made around it's time. i'm surprised its even active at all, as it is

even if it were to die tomorrow 15.5 years is nothing to scoff at. we had a good run i'd say technical issues notwithstanding.

It would take a big chunk out of my online life if it did. Where else will I go anonymously to talk about Aspie issues and stuff without an autism forum like this? :cry:

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 11:22 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:

Oh man, that’s a depressing thought. Say what you will about what this site used to be but it’s still useful for lots of people.