Page 91 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 162  Next

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

21 Aug 2020, 5:21 pm

Looks fine now.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,063
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 5:26 pm

Thank goodness. Thanks Alex!


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 5:28 pm

I did not like that :pale:


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

21 Aug 2020, 5:35 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:

Seeing exactly the same , it was funny reading your post then your signature as it seemed part of your post :lol:


Yeah, I was answering a post made by magz and due to her sig I was also trying to figure out if she's insinuating I'm insane or something :twisted:


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,063
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 5:38 pm

I do reverse order, with the newest posts at the top of Page 1.
I think it looked even weirder than the regular arrangement. I couldn't figure out top from bottom.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 5:38 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:

Seeing exactly the same , it was funny reading your post then your signature as it seemed part of your post :lol:


Yeah, I was answering a post made by magz and due to her sig I was also trying to figure out if she's insinuating I'm insane or something :twisted:


:lol:


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

21 Aug 2020, 5:44 pm

League_Girl wrote:
And on Reddit, when I did a comeback when I got insulted by telling someone "you are an idiot if you think you have to insult people to disagree" because they called me an idiot, they seemed shocked and surprised and played the victim and were like "but but but what you said was stupid" as if they thought they were justified. A spade is a spade you know.

It's wise to avoid general "you" in conflict situations.
"You are an idiot if you think <something>" can be legitimately read as "you are an idiot because you think <something>" and, thus, a valid personal attack.
"It's idiotic to think <something>" does not introduce such ambiguity.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 5:47 pm

I try not to use the communal “you.” I tend to say “one” in situations where the communal “you” might be appropriate.

One = one person.



Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 5:49 pm

It's idiotic to think using 'it's idiotic to think' does not cause ambiguity :wink:


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

21 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
It's idiotic to think using 'it's idiotic to think' does not cause ambiguity :wink:

Contrary to popular belief, it's not idiotic to think.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,063
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 5:52 pm

The word "people" is generic for "you".

Most of the time it should be prefaced with "some people", because it's seldom every "you" even in a blanket statement.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 5:55 pm

magz wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
It's idiotic to think using 'it's idiotic to think' does not cause ambiguity :wink:

Contrary to popular belief, it's not idiotic to think.


What I was getting at, is if you say that a 'point of view' is idiotic knowing that the person who posted before you holds that 'point of view' you are essentially calling them an idiot.


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 5:57 pm

“People” cannot be misconstrued as a single person.

“Those people” is often said when one wants to make an ethnically/racially insensitive statement, though.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,229
Location: Pacific Northwest

21 Aug 2020, 5:57 pm

magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
And on Reddit, when I did a comeback when I got insulted by telling someone "you are an idiot if you think you have to insult people to disagree" because they called me an idiot, they seemed shocked and surprised and played the victim and were like "but but but what you said was stupid" as if they thought they were justified. A spade is a spade you know.

It's wise to avoid general "you" in conflict situations.
"You are an idiot if you think <something>" can be legitimately read as "you are an idiot because you think <something>" and, thus, a valid personal attack.
"It's idiotic to think <something>" does not introduce such ambiguity.



In that sense, when I told someone "you're an idiot if you think you have to insult people to disagree," I did literally mean the person I was responding to because they had called me an idiot. So I did a comeback and that person and some other people did not like it.

Some people can dish it out but they cannot dish it back in.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 5:59 pm

It should be qualified, then.

It should be explicitly stated that the individual is not an idiot, but that you thought a certain statement or idea is idiotic.

I’m no idiot. I say idiotic things sometimes.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,063
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 6:00 pm

That reminds me of the advert "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

I never knew minds were terrible things.

Misplaced modifiers can make a lot of difference.

I'd agree that "It's idiotic to think .... " means "It's idiotic (for you) to think ... "

Idiot is a word from IQ testing, so it relates to people.

I'd just say "I think __________ is wrong because .. "


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.