Page 92 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 162  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

21 Aug 2020, 6:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
Steve1963 wrote:
To clarify, I've never voted for a Republican either.  But I digress... let's get back to the point of this thread, which is apparently bashing Fnord.
Hold on until I've finished my coffee.


So, is that the real you?
You look happy.
Surely that is a fake avatar, then? 8O



BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

21 Aug 2020, 6:09 pm

Sometimes I just insert parenthesis or a *note mentioning I'm not referring to the poster I'm quoting when using "you" - English can be ambiguous in that way.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m no idiot. I say idiotic things sometimes.


Who doesn't?


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

21 Aug 2020, 6:13 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
magz wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
It's idiotic to think using 'it's idiotic to think' does not cause ambiguity :wink:

Contrary to popular belief, it's not idiotic to think.

What I was getting at, is if you say that a 'point of view' is idiotic knowing that the person who posted before you holds that 'point of view' you are essentially calling them an idiot.

I don't know, maybe others should judge it, but to me it sounds like a very strong disagreement but not personal attack - you don't have to be an idiot to think idiotic thoughts sometimes.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 6:13 pm

Idiotic ideas are extreme ideas that make no apparent sense objectively.

Saying that black people were “saved from themselves” by white people is idiotic.

Very few people express really extreme ideas here.



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

21 Aug 2020, 6:20 pm

League_Girl wrote:
In that sense, when I told someone "you're an idiot if you think you have to insult people to disagree," I did literally mean the person I was responding to because they had called me an idiot. So I did a comeback and that person and some other people did not like it.

Some people can dish it out but they cannot dish it back in.

What you describe sounds like responding to a personal attack with another personal attack.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,231
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 6:22 pm

I know I'm pedantic, but how can an idea be idiotic? Ideas are concepts. Idiot is a human term used to describe a level of IQ. An idea can be wrong, or faulty, or unsound, or I suppose even crazy, but idiot is a human quality.

A person can be idiotic, or an idiotic person can have idiotic thoughts in their own mind, but an idea on its own can't be idiotic if not attached to a person.

Yes I'm anal about language. :)


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

21 Aug 2020, 6:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know I'm pedantic, but how can an idea be idiotic? Ideas are concepts. Idiot is a human term used to describe a level of IQ. An idea can be wrong, or faulty, or unsound, or I suppose even crazy, but idiot is a human quality.

A person can be idiotic, or an idiotic person can have idiotic thoughts in their own mind, but an idea on its own can't be idiotic if not attached to a person.

Yes I'm anal about language. :)

Nie potrafię Ci odpowiedzieć, bo angielski nie jest moim ojczystym językiem :P


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 6:24 pm

magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
In that sense, when I told someone "you're an idiot if you think you have to insult people to disagree," I did literally mean the person I was responding to because they had called me an idiot. So I did a comeback and that person and some other people did not like it.

Some people can dish it out but they cannot dish it back in.

What you describe sounds like responding to a personal attack with another personal attack.


Is it a personal attack or a strong disagreement :lol:


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

21 Aug 2020, 6:25 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
In that sense, when I told someone "you're an idiot if you think you have to insult people to disagree," I did literally mean the person I was responding to because they had called me an idiot. So I did a comeback and that person and some other people did not like it.

Some people can dish it out but they cannot dish it back in.

What you describe sounds like responding to a personal attack with another personal attack.

Is it a personal attack or a strong disagreement :lol:

I'm waiting for League_Girl to judge.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 6:26 pm

It’s the evolution (or devolution) of the English language.

An “idiotic idea” can be said to be a metaphor.

“Idiot” has very little to do with IQ these days. It has come to mean “absurdly dumb” in general.



Last edited by kraftiekortie on 21 Aug 2020, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,231
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 6:26 pm

magz wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know I'm pedantic, but how can an idea be idiotic? Ideas are concepts. Idiot is a human term used to describe a level of IQ. An idea can be wrong, or faulty, or unsound, or I suppose even crazy, but idiot is a human quality.

A person can be idiotic, or an idiotic person can have idiotic thoughts in their own mind, but an idea on its own can't be idiotic if not attached to a person.

Yes I'm anal about language. :)

Nie potrafię Ci odpowiedzieć, bo angielski nie jest moim ojczystym językiem :P


W porządku. Żadna krzywda.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 6:29 pm

How many languages do you know?



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,231
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 6:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s the evolution (or devolution) of the English language.

An “idiotic idea” can be said to be a metaphor.

“Idiot” has very little to do with IQ these days. It has come to mean “absurdly dumb” in general.


Of course. I'm just explaining that it's still hurtful to call someone's idea "idiotic".

There are far nicer ways to say you disagree with an idea, so it won't sound insulting to their intelligence.

It's like when people are called "ignorant" on here. It surely implies they aren't smart, even though that's not the literal
meaning. People pull out their dictionaries to defend calling others ignorant.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 6:30 pm

magz wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
In that sense, when I told someone "you're an idiot if you think you have to insult people to disagree," I did literally mean the person I was responding to because they had called me an idiot. So I did a comeback and that person and some other people did not like it.

Some people can dish it out but they cannot dish it back in.

What you describe sounds like responding to a personal attack with another personal attack.

Is it a personal attack or a strong disagreement :lol:

I'm waiting for League_Girl to judge.


She has already said she meant it


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 6:30 pm

I get you.



BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

21 Aug 2020, 6:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That reminds me of the advert "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."


Ah, that lead to Ministry's "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste".

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know I'm pedantic, but how can an idea be idiotic? Ideas are concepts. Idiot is a human term used to describe a level of IQ. An idea can be wrong, or faulty, or unsound, or I suppose even crazy, but idiot is a human quality.

A person can be idiotic, or an idiotic person can have idiotic thoughts in their own mind, but an idea on its own can't be idiotic if not attached to a person.

Yes I'm anal about language. :)



I would replace anal with knowledgeable: you're raising the bar higher than a lot of people are willing to go, since most don't seem to understand that "thought" and "idea" have a different meaning.

My experience: avoid pointing it out on the internet or you'll be accused of being an anal language nazi, splitting hairs etc. There's always "semantics!" thrown as an insult or to mean that it's not important: one of the strangest bastardizations of language I've seen lately.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


Last edited by BenderRodriguez on 21 Aug 2020, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.