Page 94 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 162  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,026
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 7:20 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:


I still maintain it's all about understanding the rules, reporting issues, and having them addressed as soon as possible.



I'd still like to know if it's personal attack to call someone a White supremacist , Nazi etc for being on the right


Of course it is. It's libel and defamation of character to make uneducated guesses or generalisations about another person, especially someone who has asked you to stop. It's an insult to suggest a member is affiliated with a hate group, or that they have committed mass kidnap, torture, and genocide. The people who said that refused to provide any evidence because none exists. The definition of a bigot is a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions. I hope the bigotry and prejudice will stop, so we can get back to the business of being a support site.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,026
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 7:23 pm

DeepHour wrote:
^ or regarding 'social conservative' as automatically equivalent to 'bigot'. Seems that quite a few members can get away with that in the current atmosphere.


Not on my watch. 8)


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 7:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:


I still maintain it's all about understanding the rules, reporting issues, and having them addressed as soon as possible.



I'd still like to know if it's personal attack to call someone a White supremacist , Nazi etc for being on the right


Of course it is. It's libel and defamation of character to make uneducated guesses or generalisations about another person, especially someone who has asked you to stop. It's an insult to suggest a member is affiliated with a hate group, or that they have committed mass kidnap, torture, and genocide. The people who said that refused to provide any evidence because none exists. The definition of a bigot is a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions. I hope the bigotry and prejudice will stop, so we can get back to the business of being a support site.


No offense Isabella , I'd like to hear that from a mod as personal attacks like that appear to be ignored thus actively encouraged.


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,026
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 7:29 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:


I still maintain it's all about understanding the rules, reporting issues, and having them addressed as soon as possible.



I'd still like to know if it's personal attack to call someone a White supremacist , Nazi etc for being on the right


Of course it is. It's libel and defamation of character to make uneducated guesses or generalisations about another person, especially someone who has asked you to stop. It's an insult to suggest a member is affiliated with a hate group, or that they have committed mass kidnap, torture, and genocide. The people who said that refused to provide any evidence because none exists. The definition of a bigot is a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions. I hope the bigotry and prejudice will stop, so we can get back to the business of being a support site.


No offense Isabella , I'd like to hear that from a mod as personal attacks like that appear to be ignored thus actively encouraged.


I agree, and I'll keep working on it. One comment of significant attack was finally removed today, after 10 weeks of being reported. I hope there will be a public statement about what happened.

You know I can be a little bit stubborn in that regard. :roll:


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 7:31 pm

^ great news , keep up the good work


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 7:37 pm

Its absolutely absurd and asinine to call someone a Nazi because one is a conservative.

It is absolutely asinine and absurd to call someone a socialist because one is a liberal.



Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 7:39 pm

So did a mod say calling someone a White Supremacist is an attack or not ? or is it not clear.


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

21 Aug 2020, 7:40 pm

Buckle up for round two guys


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 7:42 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Buckle up for round two guys


me no like it , it's all weird :(


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 7:43 pm

I’d feel attacked if I was called a white supremacist.

A white supremacist is someone who considers all members of the white race superior to all members of all other races—in all ways.



alex
Developer
Developer

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,216
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

21 Aug 2020, 7:45 pm

Intolerance of bigots is not "bigotry." It's literally the opposite of bigotry. This is a hate free community and bigotry won't be tolerated.

If someone expresses white supremacist ideals, they're a white supremacist. That isn't a personal attack. Their beliefs are literally that they're better than other people.

I wouldn't feel attacked if someone called me a white supremacist because I'm not one and it would be absurd to say that to me. I'd just say "you're incorrect."


_________________
I'm Alex Plank, the founder of Wrong Planet. Follow me (Alex Plank) on Blue Sky: https://bsky.app/profile/alexplank.bsky.social


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 7:46 pm

It’s a very extreme term—like Nazi is a very extreme term.

Trump is a jerk....but I doubt that he’s a white supremacist and a Nazi.

It’s obvious he doesn’t care for democratic institutions.



IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,026
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 7:47 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
^ great news , keep up the good work


Thank you Ferris.

It's been challenging for me because I'm trying to do what I believe is right, and what is in the best interest of the entire WP community. I want everyone to feel included regardless of their political affiliation, religion, gender, or ability.

I've had conflicting messages when I have reported people being called reichwingers, racists, or white supremacists based on incorrect generalisations about their political opinions, or even based on who their friends might be. Some mods agreed whole-heartedly that these words are against the rules (when not substantiated), but another said that the words are metaphors or idioms, and that they don't constitute personal attacks. It's been confusing and I would definitely like an official statement to be posted, because I know that this type of language alienates and hurts the membership.

It's important to have one clear message about what is and is not acceptable.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 21 Aug 2020, 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

21 Aug 2020, 7:47 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Buckle up for round two guys


me no like it , it's all weird :(


If whatever Alex is doing is going to sort out some of the infernal glitches we've got here for a while, I'll refrain from any complains :lol:


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


alex
Developer
Developer

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,216
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

21 Aug 2020, 7:50 pm

Most people are racist in some way, it's not a personal attack.

This is not always true, but usually the ones who get offended the most for being called racists are racists who don't realize they're racist.


_________________
I'm Alex Plank, the founder of Wrong Planet. Follow me (Alex Plank) on Blue Sky: https://bsky.app/profile/alexplank.bsky.social


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 7:51 pm

alex wrote:
Intolerance of bigots is not "bigotry." It's literally the opposite of bigotry. This is a hate free community and bigotry won't be tolerated.

If someone expresses white supremacist ideals, they're a white supremacist. That isn't a personal attack. Their beliefs are literally that they're better than other people.

I wouldn't feel attacked if someone called me a white supremacist because I'm not one and it would be absurd to say that to me. I'd just say "you're incorrect."


I agree with everything you have written but is it an attack to call someone who voted for Trump a White Supremacist? or someone who is on the right ?

Obviously finish your tinkering first before answering :lol:


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


Last edited by Oh_no_its_Ferris on 21 Aug 2020, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.