Page 97 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 162  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 9:00 pm

I would do that, regardless of the race of the homeless person.

I still wouldn’t feel good about that, though.



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,229
Location: Pacific Northwest

21 Aug 2020, 9:01 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
alex wrote:
Most people are racist in some way, it's not a personal attack.

This is not always true, but usually the ones who get offended the most for being called racists are racists who don't realize they're racist.


I'm not racist and am very offended if I'm accused of racism or any other aspect of hate but I guess I should get me jack boots on and goose step to the shops :lol:



Honestly, people who accuse me of being racist, I just laugh about it. I have an online friend who is racist and he has tried to make me out to be the racist. I notice this is what the right wing tries to do. They try to flip it around and say liberals are the racist ones and the left wing. I have even seen comments on here saying "if you think it was a race issue because of skin color, that is racism."

I have not seen any libs flipping out for being called racist by the right wing.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,231
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 9:02 pm

alex wrote:
people shouldn't be attacked personally. that's not allowed.


We've all worked really hard on this thread to identify problems that are alienating some of the membership and causing distress. I think your words ^ will start to remind people of the principle rules. There have been problems with direct and indirect attacks, as well as unsubstantiated generalisations against groups of people for various reasons. It's not just about politics because many people are entirely apolitical. I hope that you agree it isn't OK to jump to faulty conclusions about other people or their character, or to judge the people who try to follow your rules.

I hope this thread will get back on track and that WP will continue to be a functional support site for us all.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


Last edited by IsabellaLinton on 21 Aug 2020, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 9:02 pm

Jakki wrote:
alex wrote:
sorry i'm fixing the site so the layout will look wonky for a bit


Thank you for ongoing efforts


I echo this sentiment and the fact you are taking time out to answer our questions :D


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


alex
Developer
Developer

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,216
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

21 Aug 2020, 9:03 pm

the moderators are doing their best to make the community positive. I don't know the context of what happened with you league girl. You'd have to appeal to them if you have an issue with it. But racism is pretty common in america. most people have done racist things at some point in their lives with or without realizing it.


_________________
I'm Alex Plank, the founder of Wrong Planet. Follow me (Alex Plank) on Blue Sky: https://bsky.app/profile/alexplank.bsky.social


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

21 Aug 2020, 9:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
alex wrote:
Most people are racist in some way, it's not a personal attack.

This is not always true, but usually the ones who get offended the most for being called racists are racists who don't realize they're racist.


I'm not racist and am very offended if I'm accused of racism or any other aspect of hate but I guess I should get me jack boots on and goose step to the shops :lol:



Honestly, people who accuse me of being racist, I just laugh about it. I have an online friend who is racist and he has tried to make me out to be the racist. I notice this is what the right wing tries to do. They try to flip it around and say liberals are the racist ones and the left wing. I have even seen comments on here saying "if you think it was a race issue because of skin color, that is racism."

I have not seen any libs flipping out for being called racist by the right wing.


I wish my shoulder were as broad as yours LG


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Nov 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 71,231
Location: Chez Quis

21 Aug 2020, 9:05 pm

alex wrote:
the moderators are doing their best to make the community positive. I don't know the context of what happened with you league girl. You'd have to appeal to them if you have an issue with it. But racism is pretty common in america. most people have done racist things at some point in their lives with or without realizing it.


If racism is that common, then I hope it can become a non-issue unless clearly racist or inappropriate comments are made.

Going out of one's way to call another person racist is hurtful, especially when it's meant to demean the person's character. If the person was truly racist, and there was evidence to support the claim, I'd assume they would have been banned by the moderators long ago.


_________________
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,229
Location: Pacific Northwest

21 Aug 2020, 9:06 pm

DeepHour wrote:
For the record, if there is a record, I enjoy listening to all sorts of extreme views and conspiracy theories from both the left and the right, without subscribing to very many, if any, of the views on offer. I can listen to Infowars, for example, and find it both ridiculously entertaining and at times offensive, but I wouldn't seek to suppress that sort of stuff.

I'm curious as to whether Mr Plank feels that people in general, or the membership of WP in particular, have the 'right not to be offended'. Maybe it's a Boomer vs Millennial issue. I'm one of the former, as some on this site may already be aware.



I do the same as you do. Listen to Kaitlin Bennet and Ben Shapiro and Candace Owens and Blair White. I also read TERF stuff too and gender critical stuff but I also read the other side too and listen to the other side.

I find it a shame that people will only listen to one side and judge anyone who follows and reads any right wing stuff or who even follows Donald Trump on social media. I say about that "I follow him because I need to keep tabs and know what he is saying." I follow his parody account on one account and the real Donald Trump on the other.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 10,807
Location: Outter Quadrant

21 Aug 2020, 9:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
alex wrote:
People really should just be nice and call out things they see as problems. If you say something about black people that's racist, you're probably at least a little bit racist, even if you didn't realize it.

It's like if you lock your car door when a black person walks by, you may not even realize you aren't doing it to white people.



I notice I lock my doors whenever I see a homeless person but yet I don't lock my doors if someone doesn't look homeless.

Very odd. My car automatically locks the doors when I turn on the ignition, and I double check , as a course of habit .
Traveling alone. Causes this habit .


_________________
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
where ever you go ,there you are


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 87,510
Location: Queens, NYC

21 Aug 2020, 9:16 pm

I feel it’s a functioning site now.

We just have to iron things out.

I’ve had racist things done to me....and I’ve also benefited from “white privilege.” Getting and keeping my job and apartment has had nothing to do with “white privilege,” though.

It’s nonsense to believe that an oppressed race cannot themselves be racist.



BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

21 Aug 2020, 9:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I don't care if it's a personal attack. If someone decides to insult me, they shouldn't be surprised what I say to them next. I see it as self defense.


Several people here were banned for doing this.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 80,195
Location: United Kingdom

21 Aug 2020, 9:20 pm

I may be repeating myself here, from a post I made in the Politics forum a few weeks back, but I can't help wondering if the official WP attitude on 'conservative opinions' is that they're fine as long as they're confined to support for free markets, low taxes, deregulation ('government getting out of the way'), and all the rest of it, but when it comes to social and cultural matters, it's a different story.

That would pretty much mirror what has become the default situation throughout the Western World over the past quarter of a century, with the almost unfettered application of 'neoliberal' economic policies (including the Clinton administration in the USA, Blair in UK), but increasing restrictions on expressions of conservative social views in the workplace, in social media, even in government. You now have a situation where someone arguing in favour of, for example, the traditional concept of marriage, can be accused of bigotry and hate speech and could quite likely lose his or her job for holding an opinion which was unexceptional a decade or so ago. No wonder the big corporations have bought into this state of affairs - they've been able to take advantage of the neoliberal free for all in the business environment, while at the same time being able to indulge in virtue-signalling by embracing the new orthodoxy of PC and identity politics.

So maybe WP is just a reflection of the wider society. Maybe inevitable, but still perhaps regrettable for more members here than one might at first imagine (the phrase 'silent majority' comes to mind....). But I could be wrong about that. I often am. LOL.


_________________
On a mountain range
I'm Doctor Strange


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,229
Location: Pacific Northwest

21 Aug 2020, 9:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel it’s a functioning site now.

We just have to iron things out.

I’ve had racist things done to me....and I’ve also benefited from “white privilege.” Getting and keeping my job and apartment has had nothing to do with “white privilege,” though.

It’s nonsense to believe that an oppressed race cannot themselves be racist.



No one has ever said the oppressed can't be prejudice. When they say they can't be racist, what they mean is their prejudice over people have no power. Racism holds power. If a black person or some other minority is prejudice about white people, we are not oppressed.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Dec 2014
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,303
Location: The Northern Waste

21 Aug 2020, 9:21 pm

alex wrote:
But racism is pretty common in america. most people have done racist things at some point in their lives with or without realizing it.


I think individuals are in denial about this issue because they were educated to think in terms of categories and not gradients/spectrums. They've formed a concept of what racism is based off of an arbitrary threshold.



Last edited by Feyokien on 21 Aug 2020, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,216
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

21 Aug 2020, 9:21 pm

Jakki wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
alex wrote:
People really should just be nice and call out things they see as problems. If you say something about black people that's racist, you're probably at least a little bit racist, even if you didn't realize it.

It's like if you lock your car door when a black person walks by, you may not even realize you aren't doing it to white people.



I notice I lock my doors whenever I see a homeless person but yet I don't lock my doors if someone doesn't look homeless.

Very odd. My car automatically locks the doors when I turn on the ignition, and I double check , as a course of habit .
Traveling alone. Causes this habit .


I turned that feature on but it was annoying so I turned it back off.


_________________
I'm Alex Plank, the founder of Wrong Planet. Follow me (Alex Plank) on Blue Sky: https://bsky.app/profile/alexplank.bsky.social


alex
Developer
Developer

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,216
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

21 Aug 2020, 9:23 pm

Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:
But racism is pretty common in america. most people have done racist things at some point in their lives with or without realizing it.


I think a good number of individuals are in denial about this issue because they were educated to think in terms of categories and not gradients/spectrums. They've formed a concept of what racism is based off of an arbitrary threshold.

Yes. If someone told me I was racist and explained why, I'd thank them for bringing it to my attention and make sure to check myself so it didn't happen again. I don't get called racist though because I'm very introspective in general.


_________________
I'm Alex Plank, the founder of Wrong Planet. Follow me (Alex Plank) on Blue Sky: https://bsky.app/profile/alexplank.bsky.social