Page 103 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 162  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,030
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

22 Aug 2020, 1:54 am

alex wrote:
You can't insult people but you can call them out for being something. Like you can say "you're being mean" but you can't say "you're an as*hole" or you're an idiot.

It should be pretty clear. If the word derogatory is in the definition of the word, it's not allowed.

It really isn't complicated and it has nothing to do with being on the left or right.

Another example: you can call someone a criminal but you can't call them a thug...

call someone a sex worker, can't call them a whore.

you all are making it seem like the rules are not fair but they apply equally.





I think Alex has taken the time to explain the rules pretty clearly. They apply regardless of one's political or religious persuasions. By these definitions, it's clear that a certain comment removed yesterday should have been removed ten weeks ago but was overlooked at the time. What Alex is saying is it's OK to attack an idea, but not the person expressing it. You can call out ideas you find unacceptable, but don't call anyone names. There's nothing ambiguous here.

He also explained that this is not a site on which hate will be tolerated.

We who are on the AS spectrum tend to get emotional very easily and are also sometimes misunderstood. People overreact at times so before pressing Submit, read your post and ask how you'd react if you were going to read it. We must make an effort to make this site inclusive so that everyone feels at home. Some of us may have introspection to do because we were taught racism - growing up in apartheid era South Africa made me eventually realize how unfair and dehumanizing it was - so we unintentionally develop racist concepts that need be changed. I think a SA perspective is useful in viewing the situations in other countries, almost all of whom are guilty of similar things - forced land removals (Native Americans), segregation etc.


_________________
Why is a trailer behind a car but ahead of a movie?


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 27,019
Location: Right over your left shoulder

22 Aug 2020, 1:56 am

My vicious anti-racism is literally my only redeeming trait.


_________________
“Anyone who wants to thwart the establishment of a Palestinian state has to support bolstering Hamas and transferring money to Hamas, this is part of our strategy” —Netanyahu
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う
GOP Predators


BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

22 Aug 2020, 2:09 am

funeralxempire wrote:

If I've come off as sounding like I'm constantly screaming like I've a telephone pole shoved through my body for the past two years it's because I've persistently been in the sort of pain equivalent to of having had a f*****g telephone pole shoved through my body.


Have you considered staying out of political discussions for a while or at least using more other parts of the forum?

Because I would be happy to engage you (I'm sure so would others) and not out of pity, but because I relate to quite a few of your experiences. If you remember, the first time we talked was when someone was spewing hateful BS about Native Americans and I was stunned by your composure because I still can't do it. One of my parents was Sami (treated around my parts in a very similar fashion to Natives in North America), I'm pushing 60 and grew up in the system: I'm sure you can do the math and it comes out just as ugly as you can imagine. I just don't talk about the racial part of the issue because I still can't keep my s**t together.

There are other things about your self-destructive frenzy that I've been intimately acquainted with.

One of the reasons I'd like to see some things here change is to allow people who are in pain or going through some really nasty stuff at the time to talk about some of it with those who can actually understand it without being shred to pieces. I think you could benefit from it too, some people here would relate to your experiences more than you think.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 2:32 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
alex wrote:
I don't think all the trump voters the first time around would be considered white supremacists but certainly if they vote for him in the 2020 election now that he's made it clear that he believes in those ideals.


I guess that answers my question then , thanks for chiming in.


There are blacks who are voting/campaigning for the Republican party because the Democrats have taken them for granted and they have been neglected.
It is *NOT* a Black & White situation, pardon the pun. ;)

I am neither Republican nor Democrat.
I am someone who hopes the party that wins the election will push back against the ccp.
Australia's existence may depend on it.
The last I heard, that is the Democrats. :wink:



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

22 Aug 2020, 2:44 am

alex wrote:
Intolerance of bigots is not "bigotry." It's literally the opposite of bigotry.
And what happens when one labels everything they disagrees with "bigotry"?
alex wrote:
This is a hate free community and bigotry won't be tolerated.
With all due respect: this community is intended to be hate free. We can't assure it without a lot of hard work.

alex wrote:
If someone expresses white supremacist ideals, they're a white supremacist. That isn't a personal attack. Their beliefs are literally that they're better than other people.

I wouldn't feel attacked if someone called me a white supremacist because I'm not one and it would be absurd to say that to me. I'd just say "you're incorrect."
Just as I wouldn't feel attacked if someone called me an idiot.
However, calling one an idiot is a personal attack.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 2:45 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
I guess it's open season now , all you Nazi's and White Supremacists are going to get it :lol:


Image



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 3:02 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My elderly trauma therapist lived through the Holocaust, and his family was murdered by Nazis. He takes great offence when the word is used lightly, or when random Trump voters are associated with that level of horror. I'm sure there are definitely Neo-Nazis in the world, and I'm not denying existence of hate groups, but I don't believe anyone on WP is affiliated with Neo-Nazi ideology or hate crimes.


Hitler embraced those on the spectrum into the master race.
Hang on.
That's not right. :scratch:



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 3:13 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
alex wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:


I still maintain it's all about understanding the rules, reporting issues, and having them addressed as soon as possible.



I'd still like to know if it's personal attack to call someone a White supremacist , Nazi etc just for being on the right

being on the right doesn't make someone a white supremacist.


I only wanted clarification as a lot of posters have had this insult thrown at them and much much worse.

I'm not even a fan of Trump but the treatment of some members here has been appalling.

A lot of members have left and I suspect the reason this thread was started was to address problems here.


Yup.



Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
Location: Melbourne, Australia

22 Aug 2020, 3:13 am

Pepe wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
alex wrote:
I don't think all the trump voters the first time around would be considered white supremacists but certainly if they vote for him in the 2020 election now that he's made it clear that he believes in those ideals.


I guess that answers my question then , thanks for chiming in.


There are blacks who are voting/campaigning for the Republican party because the Democrats have taken them for granted and they have been neglected.
It is *NOT* a Black & White situation, pardon the pun. ;)


Kim Klacik certainly looks like she has a similar opinion regarding that...I wish her luck in the upcoming election.



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 3:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s the evolution (or devolution) of the English language.

An “idiotic idea” can be said to be a metaphor.

“Idiot” has very little to do with IQ these days. It has come to mean “absurdly dumb” in general.


Of course. I'm just explaining that it's still hurtful to call someone's idea "idiotic".

There are far nicer ways to say you disagree with an idea, so it won't sound insulting to their intelligence.

It's like when people are called "ignorant" on here. It surely implies they aren't smart, even though that's not the literal
meaning. People pull out their dictionaries to defend calling others ignorant.



I disagree that it's fine to call peoples comments or opinions stupid and I agree with you there.

To me it looks like splitting hairs when someone says "what a dumb thing to say" and then back pedal and go "oh I didn't call you dumb, I said what you wrote was dumb." If this is how mods and admins think, then many members would get away with personal attacks because they would know how to word it and that was how someone got away with their attack on me on another forum.


If the person can't formulate a rational argument why another's argument is "dumb", then who is the, errr, dummy? :mrgreen:

Ask for the reason.
And if none is forthcoming, well... ;)



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 3:28 am

League_Girl wrote:
alex wrote:
People really should just be nice and call out things they see as problems. If you say something about black people that's racist, you're probably at least a little bit racist, even if you didn't realize it.

It's like if you lock your car door when a black person walks by, you may not even realize you aren't doing it to white people.



I notice I lock my doors whenever I see a homeless person but yet I don't lock my doors if someone doesn't look homeless.


I lock my door whenever I see an NT (apart from Teach51 ;)) come my way. :mrgreen:



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 3:36 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
alex wrote:
the moderators are doing their best to make the community positive. I don't know the context of what happened with you league girl. You'd have to appeal to them if you have an issue with it. But racism is pretty common in america. most people have done racist things at some point in their lives with or without realizing it.


If racism is that common, then I hope it can become a non-issue unless clearly racist or inappropriate comments are made.

Going out of one's way to call another person racist is hurtful, especially when it's meant to demean the person's character. If the person was truly racist, and there was evidence to support the claim, I'd assume they would have been banned by the moderators long ago.


Using "The Racist Card" is a well-known tactic *OF THE LEFT!! !! !! !!*
It is designed to shut the conversation down.
It is a form of emotional blackmail.
IT DOESN'T WORK ON ME!! ! :mrgreen:



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,283
Location: Poland

22 Aug 2020, 3:38 am

League_Girl wrote:
I don't care if it's a personal attack. If someone decides to insult me, they shouldn't be surprised what I say to them next. I see it as self defense.

So you don't care about breaking the rules after someone else broke them first?


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

22 Aug 2020, 3:45 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I don't care if it's a personal attack. If someone decides to insult me, they shouldn't be surprised what I say to them next. I see it as self defense.


Several people here were banned for doing this.



And I know someone who used to get people banned from here. He would do things to get them to break the rules and then report them to get them banned. (I have no idea how he did it) I think one of the mods caught on what he was doing and then he got banned after being here for like 6 years.

There was another member who was trying to get me to break the rules by saying stuff to me and saying things to accuse me of stuff to get me to react so she can report me to get me banned. She was bad at hiding it so it was obvious to everyone what she was doing. Then she stopped when I ignored it.


And I know several people who are still doing this here. The mods apparently didn't catch on this time.


Oh,
I assumed they were minions and sock puppets. :mrgreen:



League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,228
Location: Pacific Northwest

22 Aug 2020, 3:52 am

Pepe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s the evolution (or devolution) of the English language.

An “idiotic idea” can be said to be a metaphor.

“Idiot” has very little to do with IQ these days. It has come to mean “absurdly dumb” in general.


Of course. I'm just explaining that it's still hurtful to call someone's idea "idiotic".

There are far nicer ways to say you disagree with an idea, so it won't sound insulting to their intelligence.

It's like when people are called "ignorant" on here. It surely implies they aren't smart, even though that's not the literal
meaning. People pull out their dictionaries to defend calling others ignorant.



I disagree that it's fine to call peoples comments or opinions stupid and I agree with you there.

To me it looks like splitting hairs when someone says "what a dumb thing to say" and then back pedal and go "oh I didn't call you dumb, I said what you wrote was dumb." If this is how mods and admins think, then many members would get away with personal attacks because they would know how to word it and that was how someone got away with their attack on me on another forum.


If the person can't formulate a rational argument why another's argument is "dumb", then who is the, errr, dummy? :mrgreen:

Ask for the reason.
And if none is forthcoming, well... ;)



What if they said "How stupid of you to say it" and then wrote why it was dumb in one post?


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,228
Location: Pacific Northwest

22 Aug 2020, 3:55 am

magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I don't care if it's a personal attack. If someone decides to insult me, they shouldn't be surprised what I say to them next. I see it as self defense.

So you don't care about breaking the rules after someone else broke them first?



Precisely, Alex should add to the rules "no self defense, please use the mods against your attacker to get them into trouble." :mrgreen:

Crap, I think I just tipped my enemies off on how to get rid of me. :lol:


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.