Page 107 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 162  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 10:42 am

envirozentinel wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
The answer is simple and obvious as when this thread started back when my great grandfather owned the Inn in Belchertown.

"Do onto others"
Treat WP members how you want to be treated.
Not complicated at all :wink:

Your sig doesn't make sense because you said in another thread that you planned on voting for a third party.

I voted for Bill Weld in the Republican primary,against Donald Trump,you could call Weld somewhat of a third party.A somewhat liberal republican.

I never said I would vote third party in national election,they have no chance of winning.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 10:43 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
The answer is simple and obvious as when this thread started back when my great grandfather owned the Inn in Belchertown.

"Do onto others"

It's simple but it ain't easy it seems :wink:

And who will account for all the masochists here? :jester:

What is meant by that?

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 10:48 am

vermontsavant wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

"Do onto others"

What is meant by that?

It means some people like pain so they're eagerly willing to dole it out.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 10:58 am

Teach51 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
I think it's a great pity that toxic American Politics is causing the ambience here to go belly up.

Some of us just want our popcorn and only say something when necessary.

That does seem to be the root of the problem, the question is should WP be an American political platform? There are so many platforms specifically for this, or is its purpose to unite autistics from around the globe under one protected umbrella and focus on mutual assistance, combating isolation, healing and strengthening the sense of well- being.
Political combat does none of these.
Non-Americans will leave otherwise, and also those on the bad end of the most popular political trend. It would be a tragedy for WP to go belly-up just because people can't live with each others' diversity of thought. That doesn't bode well for America or the rest of the world either.

It sounds to me like this:
" I am going to kill you, I hate you because you don't like pretzels and don't agree with me that pretzels are better than Pringles, you are bigoted because you don't agree with me and I will shame you because I can't tolerate anyone who prefers Pringles when I know pretzels will be better for you and the whole world. I will control how you think according to my values and life experience, what do you know about snacks? and I don't care if you have Celiac's disease I know what you should prefer and I will dictate to you what you should think.

I hate politics, they divide and destroy. All we need is mutual respect.

It does sound a bit like that :lol:

Tolerence of those different to us shouldn't be an impossible goal, really; especially if the focus is on Autism and American politics is placed in the small segment it could belong to, in PPR, allowing space for the silent majority.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2020, 11:12 am

vermontsavant wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

"Do onto others"

Your sig doesn't make sense because you said in another thread that you planned on voting for a third party.

I voted for Bill Weld in the Republican primary,against Donald Trump,you could call Weld somewhat of a third party.A somewhat liberal republican.

I never said I would vote third party in national election,they have no chance of winning.

OK, maybe I was thinking of someone else then who said so.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2020, 11:15 am

vermontsavant wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

"Do onto others"

What is meant by that?

People should vote with their conscience even if a party has no hope of winning. That's why our PR system is so much better. It allows for numerous parties.

I'd change your sig if I were you though - it could be viewed as controversial. I personally don't think any form of political sigs, left or right, should be permitted.

my blog:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:21 am

Since Alex has been putting in an appearance on this thread of late, and has clearly been reading it, could I please ask him to consider reinstating the 'List of Registered Users' which used to be available for members to read (via My Account > Options > Registered Users). Failing this, could you please tell us why it was removed, Alex?

Last edited by DeepHour on 22 Aug 2020, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2020, 11:22 am

My BF's input is that WP shouldn't be a political forum, but somewhere where fellow autists can get together in friendship to have a "chat".

my blog:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:28 am

^ You could argue though that pretty much everything is 'political'. One of the left-wing groups with which I was associated many years ago had a slogan 'The personal is political', and I wouldn't disagree with that even now. I think that many of the guidelines that affect WP moderation, such as the concern about 'safe spaces' are very political, whether people realize that or not.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:31 am

DeepHour wrote:
Since Alex has been putting in an appearance on this thread of late, and has clearly been reading it, could I please ask him to consider reinstating the 'List of Registered Users' which used to be available for members to read (via My Account > Options > Registered Users). Failing this, could you please tell us why it was removed, Alex?

Great point, thank you for bringing it up!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:32 am

envirozentinel wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

"Do onto others"

OK, maybe I was thinking of someone else then who said so.

Steve1963 said he was voting third party.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:36 am

Feyokien wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

"Do onto others"

What is meant by that?

It means some people like pain so they're eagerly willing to dole it out.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant.

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Aug 2020, 11:40 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

When did that stop worki g

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2020, 11:45 am

Romofan wrote:
Anyone else notice that while every criticism of Trump, fair or ludicrous, is allowed, even encouraged, any criticism of Biden is scrutinized?

In fact, if you begin to criticize the Democratic choice, certain moderators will materialize and begin to "put you in your place", something which I frankly had not noticed in the Trump threads.

Even worse...certain of the moderators will bait you, perhaps hoping to zap you later for some infraction. Here are examples:

...is misrepresentations of decades-old policies all you have?

...It’s not quite “Kamala Harris is bad because she might be descended from a slave owner” but it’s heading in that direction.

...Generally I find people raising the "you're not American" line end up embarrassing themselves in short order.

Now, I am not going to tussle with a moderator, no matter what their current status. So they "take off their hat" to engage in your thread, why would you argue with them knowing that they can zap you in a different thread? But this does not strike me as fair, especially since, as I have already noted, you can post literally anything negative about Donald Trump and nothing happens to you (except perhaps applause). And as a person that is fairly new to Wrong Planet, I found the "moderator" tussles to be disconcerting.

It is relatively trivial to view my recent posts. Within the last ten, there is one where I defend Trump against an accusation that his handling of COVID-19 is comparable to Stalin’s Ukrainian genocide, and another where I defend the British Conservative Party against accusations that it is unduly pro-Putin.

In one of the posts you have quoted, I offer my own criticism of Joe Biden. I criticise him from the right.

Long-standing users will be able to tell you that I am a strident critic of the left, both in policy terms and leading figureheads like Bernie Sanders and Jeremy Corbyn. I am a centre-right liberal who amongst other things is a passionate believer in the free market as the greatest invention in humanity’s history. (Don’t want to derail the thread but if you like then I can PM you a list of my right-wing views that have annoyed other users over the years). I have even on occasion offered unconditional praise of Donald Trump. On two specific areas - his approach to Bashar Al-Assad and corporate taxation - he has comprehensively outperformed his predecessor.

In short, it is very rare for me to find another user on here who doesn’t find at least one of my views offensive. I have disagreed with almost everyone who has offered a political opinion on this site. I’ve never let that disagreement affect how I have dealt with another user, except when I have felt it necessary to recuse myself due to a recent passionate disagreement. Naturally, I will recuse myself from any short to medium term cases involving you.

Of the three quotes you posted, I note that one is a rebuke to a personal comment you made, and the other two are actually the same comment. I wouldn’t personally characterise them as bait. Obviously this isn’t about you, and moderators should be held to a somewhat different standard to other users, but would suggest generally it is ill-advised to throw stones while inside a greenhouse.

Again, the mod team has failsafes. If anyone does not believe they have been treated fairly then please do feel free to contact the other moderators. Our relationship is cordial and pleasant rather than buddy-buddy and we have no problem challenging each other when necessary.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:47 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel it’s a functioning site now.

We just have to iron things out.

I’ve had racist things done to me....and I’ve also benefited from “white privilege.” Getting and keeping my job and apartment has had nothing to do with “white privilege,” though.

It’s nonsense to believe that an oppressed race cannot themselves be racist.

No one has ever said the oppressed can't be prejudice. When they say they can't be racist, what they mean is their prejudice over people have no power. Racism holds power. If a black person or some other minority is prejudice about white people, we are not oppressed.

While many more black people are oppressed then white people individual white people can be oppressed. Individual white people can be oppressed and individual black people can be racist.

Oxford definition of racism
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

the belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.“

By definition saying only white people can be racist is a racist statement in that it ascribes a negative characteristic to one race.

In regards to an earlier post of yours, yes people absolutely use words and phrases differently then dictionary definitions. That does not make them correct. For instance despite dictionary and professional definitions of Autism autistic is often conflated with intellectual disability, ie ret*d.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentu ... ctionarium

"But the dictionary says you can be racist by saying only white people can be racist."

*Uses the R word and people take great offense to it*

"But the dictionary says ret*d means 'delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment' so it's not an insulting word, I used it the correct way in a none slur way."

No one is going to buy your dictionary argument.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 11:49 am

alex wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

When did that stop worki g

DeepHour spotted the problem on the 28th of June

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=388338

Edit: Actually, I found the link saved in my browser and it seems to redirect now to the Mod-only forum :?

https://wrongplanet.net/forums/memberlist.php

Last edited by BenderRodriguez on 22 Aug 2020, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.