Page 118 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121 ... 162  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:50 am

That is a racial slur that evokes a very troubling past leading into the present. I don't agree with Sly's political stances or his methods, but I just spoke with my wife a little and she reminded me of Sly's history. He's had a really rough time in life by his own account (which is all we can go off of). He describes himself as a centrist (I think or others do?) who has be mistreated by 'liberals' in his life and accepted by 'conservatives'. He seems to trust right wing news sources more. I'm not sure he endorses hate groups even though his actions could be interpreted that way.

I am an older generation Australian who grew up with American "Cowboy and Indians".
Are we good now?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:52 am

Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=388536

Is this the thread that has everyone so riled up?

Nope.
First time I saw it, so you can't say "everyone". 8)

Interesting that Sly never explained his intentions on why he posted that picture.
There was some heavy-handed assumptions, tho.

Cause I had mental break down and went mute. Haven’t posted much since until this thread.

What bothers me is Alex has mods and he’s not even nothing to talk to them about what’s been happening. It’d be like Corp coming to my store and talking to the shoplifters instead of his mangers.

Last edited by envirozentinel on 23 Aug 2020, 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.: the offending remark he refers to has been deleted

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:52 am

alex wrote:
I'm going to say that writing out the N word is unequivocally racist. And your lynching comment, while not as blatant, is pretty bad too.

Not using the context I provided in my last post.
It was a cultural misunderstanding, that is all.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:55 am

alex wrote:
I'm going to say that writing out the N word is unequivocally racist. And your lynching comment, while not as blatant, is pretty bad too.

Sorry so all historians are racist then? Cause they use the word it’s only racist to call black people that word. It’s a word that exists and I don’t see why it can’t be discussed, so where did I call black people the n word?

As fnord would say where’s your evidence?

As others are saying do you want all the good kind people to leave wp?

Where’s enviro?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:55 am

Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
That is a racial slur that evokes a very troubling past leading into the present.

Please explain how it was racist?
He was using an analogy unwisely.
It was a mistake, but not racism.

I seriously want to know why you can't see this, or where my thinking is incorrect.

People are very sensitive about the word and when it gets said by a non black person, people will think you are racist.

If you know how black people have been treated in the past, you will understand how this word would get used to degrade them, put them in their place so when a white person says this word or writes it out, it puts black people in their place because of history of how they were treated then.

So if white people use this word, that is a big ouch and people will think you are racist.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:58 am

League_Girl wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
That is a racial slur that evokes a very troubling past leading into the present.

I seriously want to know why you can't see this, or where my thinking is incorrect.

People are very sensitive about the word and when it gets said by a non black person, people will think you are racist.

If you know how black people have been treated in the past, you will understand how this word would get used to degrade them, put them in their place so when a white person says this word or writes it out, it puts black people in their place because of history of how they were treated then.

So if white people use this word, that is a big ouch and people will think you are racist.

Only heard it’s offense to call them it. Never heard anyone take offense to being in 1860 black people were called rhe n word. Likewise you can’t call or use r word about people but we can discuss the r word and why it’s bad to use. Which you can’t even do without using it.
Kids don’t use the f word but we can’t tell you what it is, so you won’t know what word to not use.

And it’s all hearsay at this point. Where’s all the peopl from my thread who said they got my back? Where’s all the mods?

Last edited by sly279 on 23 Aug 2020, 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:59 am

League_Girl wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

You do realise it was simply an analogy.
Yes, it was a mistake to make it, but making a mistake, does not equate to racism.

Ask him.
Ask him is he is a racist.
If you understand what he is saying, he is actually saying he *isn't* a racist and is *offended* by being called one.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:05 am

League_Girl wrote:
Also he must have edited it because I can't find it when I looked and he has many edited posts in this thread. I assume Alex has the ability to see posts unedited after them being edited by the user or mod or admin. I have been keeping up with this thread and following it and I didn't see it so he must have edited it before I could even read it.

Only posts I edited were our political fight so as to not derail the thread and for thst I’m being accused of horrible stuff by the site admin.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 1:06 am

sly279 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Only heard it’s offense to call them it. Never heard anyone take offense to being in 1860 black people were called rhe n word. Likewise you can’t call or use r word about people but we can discuss the r word and why it’s bad to use. Which you can’t even do without using it.
Kids don’t use the f word but we can’t tell you what it is, so you won’t know what word to not use.

Actually when I was a kid, my mom would even refuse to teach me a word if it was said and I missed the word. She didn't want me to hear the word because it was bad and she didn't want me to know that word either.

There is a concept about keeping children innocent so that means you must not use bad language around them and teach them any of the words.

Instead, they learn them on their own because they will hear it in school from their peers or friends, they might hear their best friend's father say it or might over hear it in public or hear it on TV and then they ask their mom or dad what that word is. I used to just get told "It's a very bad word and you must never say it or your mouth gets slapped" and also being told "it's a grown up word and kids can't say it."

So parents would rather wait until their kid learns the word and says the word when they ask them about it or hear them say it. Then they tell them it's a naughty word and they must never say it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Aug 2020, 1:06 am

Pepe wrote:
alex wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:
he equated people calling him a white supremacist with people calling black people the n word, but he wrote it out

Honestly I'm surprised that didn't get scrubbed until now. I didn't even think to mention it to a mod, thought they would have covered it. :oops:

That is a racial slur that evokes a very troubling past leading into the present. I don't agree with Sly's political stances or his methods, but I just spoke with my wife a little and she reminded me of Sly's history. He's had a really rough time in life by his own account (which is all we can go off of). He describes himself as a centrist (I think or others do?) who has be mistreated by 'liberals' in his life and accepted by 'conservatives'. He seems to trust right wing news sources more. I'm not sure he endorses hate groups even though his actions could be interpreted that way. The problem may be poor choices of 'attack' (i.e. posting a picture of an armed group of black americans)/lack of communication and people 'pouncing on him'. I'm not sure though and I don't know the full history.

look above you. the last post brings up lynching...

This was "The Lynch Mob" I was referring to:

I am an older generation Australian who grew up with American "Cowboy and Indians".
Are we good now?

So you're equating people on Wrong Planet calling you racist with a photo of white mob grotesquely lynching a black man by slowly burning him for an hour before he died?

This is also unequivocally racist. I'm locking this thread now.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 3:19 am

(MOD NOTE) UNLOCKED ON CONDITION THAT NO ONE POSTS ANYTHING DIVISIVE, OFF TOPIC OR RACIST CONTENT. I am making an appeal for respect. There have been many misunderstandings here lately, often due to the way different people process information.

Will relock if any dubious posts are posted here, or if personal or offensive remarks are made.

Lynching was/is a terrible thing and should not be referred to even in jest or analogy.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Last edited by envirozentinel on 23 Aug 2020, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.: addition

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 3:29 am

Where’s enviro?[/quote]

I was sleeping. We're in totally different time zones. Been catching up on the threads.

I've also found much of the vitriol on here pretty upsetting. This needs to be a safe space for those of us on the spectrum. I don't believe we have white supremacists in our midst, but some of us may often be unintentionally thoughtless or racist.

my blog:

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 3:55 am

Where did my YouTube option disappear to on the Task Bar???? I just learned how to use it and now it's gone lol. I can post the URL but not lead straight in to the video. Mercy on me, mercy. :lol:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 4:00 am

Just typing "[youtube]" and finishing with "[/youtube]" with the URL inbetween works.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 4:04 am

Oh dear I wonder if Alex plans on keeping it that way. Most of us on the spectrum don't like needless changes and only fix what needs improving!

my blog:

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 4:13 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Just typing "[youtube]" and finishing with "[/youtube]" with the URL inbetween works.

What would I do without you you adorable, sword loving creature you. How about pics?

tried but no success. I'll have another go later when I have time.

Actually my lover is an accomplished fencer and won a scholarship to an American university by merit of his swordsmanship :D

Last edited by Teach51 on 23 Aug 2020, 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.