Page 120 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 162  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2008
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,019

23 Aug 2020, 6:39 am

Brictoria wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
And this is a small sample of what has been permitted (either through leaving it when reported, or allowing a precedent through other posts that were ignored (even worse is when a moderator is a part of the thread and doesn't see the issue themself and act accordingly on it, instead needing it to be "reported" and then maybe acted on), leading to it becoming "normalized").
We don't moderate threads we have participated in (the mod attention thread being an exception because we've all been there, and it's not political or similarly hot topic).


If you can't moderate a thread you participate in, though, do you forward possible infringements to another moderator to look at\evaluate, or is it up to someone else to report it?

I'd like to think it was the former, as otherwise seeing those sorts of posts, along with moderator contribution to the thread, would give the impression to anyone reading the thread that the words\behaviour are encouraged\endorsed, particularly if all those who may have disagreed with the sentiments have left the thread and so would be unable to see and then report them.


I've done both, and things have also happened after I have posted that I haven't seen until they get reported. I only subscribe to a few threads, I don't want my email getting cluttered with thread notifications, especially not of threads I probably won't revisit as I don't have anything else to add to the topic.
Other mods have also alerted the mod team to threads they can't moderate.


_________________
BOLTZ 17/3 2012 - 12/11 2020
Beautiful, sweet, gentle, playful, loyal
simply the best and one of a kind
love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 34,681
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

23 Aug 2020, 6:39 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Now, however, the terms "racist", "bigot", "facist", "white supremecist", "nazi", "alt-right", etc. are being used in the same way (and with the same "stain" they apply to their target) as "communist" was back then, to silence those with whom people disagree with (or their opinions) regardless of the appropriatness of the accusation, and with no justification for their use being required. And as none of them (as far as I can tell) contain "derogatory" in their definition, there is apparently nothing wrong with throwing them around at anyone a person on the site disagrees with (see second quote above).


The problem is that those terms aren't used to silence discussion, they're used to describe views that would meet the definition. If someone is advocating for a position that would make the interests of PoC inferior to those of others, it's not unfair to describe that position as white supremacist. Trying to force moderation to ban the use of terms you don't like because muzzling your opponents will make it harder for them to argue their positions is the actual attempt at silencing.


If it is a specific position I do not perceive any rule violation. People are free to disagree. Same thing when describing public figures.

It gets a little tricky when labeling groups as pejoratives. If you write “All conservatives would get rid of blacks if they could” that is a clear rule violation. But what if the definition of the group is a pejorative such a “Nazi” or “SJW”?


Yes but if you say liberals rather than some liberals when making a nasty generalization that goes fine here. Like you probably cannot say conservatives are nazis as a general statement without it being problematic...but its fine to imply that liberals are all closet racists...because affirmative action is a policy that exists.

Or maybe I am bitter but sometimes does seem like generalizations of conservatives are taken more seriously than generalizations about liberals. I got in trouble for telling an individual poster I thought they were being ignorant but also I have participated in threads were countless mean generalizations are made of liberals and nothing happens at all. I guess in some peoples opinions they think any and all right wing view is being censored but I have the impression that conservatives and right wingers here get more of a pass to talk crap on liberals than liberals here get a pass to talk crap on right wingers. LIke I do sometimes feel like it almost needs to be said here that 'hey some of us autistic people lean more liberal than conservative, this site isn't meant as a right wing echo chamber.' Like particularly the politics and religion forum kinda feels heavily dominated by right wing stuff. And the admission that the mods are perfectly ok with actual neo nazis posting here was kind of disturbing...I mean even if a neo nazi doesn't actively violate rules the whole goal of neo nazis is to get more people into their cause so probably better if we don't allow neo nazis wishing to twist the minds of people who could be in a vulnerable place(many of us with autism have co-morbid mental health issues) to post here. There is no such think as an ok or decent neo nazi...like I am sorry for anyone that offends but its true. And I wouldn't even say they are all entirely irredeemable but wrong planet the place for autistics is not the right avenue to try and redeem them through. Like how am I as an autistic person with other issues supposed to feel comfortable posting here if we have people who think minorities and people with disabilities should be done away with or at least sent away. My opinion is wrong planet should not be a place that welcomes neo-nazis period but I guess the mods at least enough of them feel differently based on that post where they did admit that they allow neo-nazis and white supremacists to post here.


_________________
We won't go back.


Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,998
Location: Melbourne, Australia

23 Aug 2020, 7:18 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
LIke I do sometimes feel like it almost needs to be said here that 'hey some of us autistic people lean more liberal than conservative, this site isn't meant as a right wing echo chamber.' Like particularly the politics and religion forum kinda feels heavily dominated by right wing stuff.


Image



envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,030
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

23 Aug 2020, 7:27 am

My opinion is wrong planet should not be a place that welcomes neo-nazis period but I guess the mods at least enough of them feel differently based on that post where they did admit that they allow neo-nazis and white supremacists to post here.[/quote]

where was this stated?

we have conservatives, but I don't think any of them are neo nazis or supremacists. If such exist, they can probably post here provided they don't push their agenda or post racist stuff or anything else against the rules. In other words they should keep their poison to themselves. Some of the conservative members feel they aren't welcome here and that's not true. I espouse generally liberal values but believe people should have freedom of expression provided they keep withing the rule guidelines. Some posters of all political persuasions, tend to get worked up or emotional, which is a frequent spectrum response. If snapped at we want to snap back. I'm very emotional too, but try not to allow it to influence my posting on here.


_________________
Why is a trailer behind a car but ahead of a movie?


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,976
Location: Sweden

23 Aug 2020, 7:30 am

Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
LIke I do sometimes feel like it almost needs to be said here that 'hey some of us autistic people lean more liberal than conservative, this site isn't meant as a right wing echo chamber.' Like particularly the politics and religion forum kinda feels heavily dominated by right wing stuff.


Image


Yeah, gonna have to join in on that one.


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 26,635
Location: Australia

23 Aug 2020, 7:32 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
LIke I do sometimes feel like it almost needs to be said here that 'hey some of us autistic people lean more liberal than conservative, this site isn't meant as a right wing echo chamber.' Like particularly the politics and religion forum kinda feels heavily dominated by right wing stuff.




Yeah, gonna have to join in on that one.


Same.



Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

23 Aug 2020, 10:03 am

alex wrote:

I hadn't seen that but it does appear pretty damning. I also looked through sly's history and just scrolling through the first few pages, saw he even used the N word in this thread (although misspelled so it slipped through the filters).

This is pretty damning and now I feel sort of silly for engaging with him when it's pretty evident that there's no question that he's racist. And this is not an insult, I'm just saying that when you're not black, using the N word is generally universally seen as racist.


I wasn't going to post again :evil:

You may not see it as an insult but what you have said is libelous Alex ( I have a screen shot), you should make a public apology to Sly if you are indeed willing to make things better on WP.


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 70
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,234

23 Aug 2020, 10:11 am

Pepe wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
LIke I do sometimes feel like it almost needs to be said here that 'hey some of us autistic people lean more liberal than conservative, this site isn't meant as a right wing echo chamber.' Like particularly the politics and religion forum kinda feels heavily dominated by right wing stuff.




Yeah, gonna have to join in on that one.


Same.



I don't know what that means?


_________________
The river is the melody
And sky is the refrain
- Gordon Lightfoot


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 67
Gender: Male
Posts: 60,305
Location: Stendec

23 Aug 2020, 10:11 am

I would much rather have a bipolar member of the Mustelidae family around than a bigoted member of the Canidae family.


_________________
 
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.


blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

23 Aug 2020, 10:12 am

alex wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
alex wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=388536

Is this the thread that has everyone so riled up?


There's likely more than one, this has been a point of contention for years, even in the era BT. :lol:


BT = Before Trump I assume?

Has Sly ever actually supported white nationalist groups verbally? Are his responses meant as a critique to how some people perceive 'the Left' to be pure.

Sly I think this would be a good time to explain your point of view carefully and calmly as you can.


He used the N word in this thread.


Where did he say that?

I am not reading 116 pages to find it.


he equated people calling him a white supremacist with people calling black people the n word, but he wrote it out


In context that doesn't sound racist.. He's posing one insult alongside what he believes is the equivalent to show how offended he feels


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

23 Aug 2020, 10:22 am

Fnord wrote:
I would much rather have a bipolar member of the Mustelidae family around than a bigoted member of the Canidae family.


And with a member of the grumpy infraorder Gekkota family we could all be a happy dysfunctional family although I don't know anyone from the bigoted Canidae family , as to a bipolar Mustelidae it's been ruled out :twisted:


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

23 Aug 2020, 10:32 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
alex wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
alex wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=388536

Is this the thread that has everyone so riled up?


There's likely more than one, this has been a point of contention for years, even in the era BT. :lol:


BT = Before Trump I assume?

Has Sly ever actually supported white nationalist groups verbally? Are his responses meant as a critique to how some people perceive 'the Left' to be pure.

Sly I think this would be a good time to explain your point of view carefully and calmly as you can.


He used the N word in this thread.


Where did he say that?

I am not reading 116 pages to find it.


he equated people calling him a white supremacist with people calling black people the n word, but he wrote it out


In context that doesn't sound racist.. He's posing one insult alongside what he believes is the equivalent to show how offended he feels


Some people here actually use the word in everyday life , I seriously doubt XFE is racist. Context is everything.

funeralxempire wrote:
There's people who might refer to me as their n***a on occassions, but I'm not very comfortable reciprocating unless we're close enough to know that the person uses it with everyone and broadly accepts usage.


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

23 Aug 2020, 10:34 am

How ironic that a thread meant to make things better and that has been initially slowly moving towards its goal has recently and so swiftly changed into one of the biggest fiascos this site has ever seen 8O


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Aug 2020
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 728

23 Aug 2020, 10:34 am

My fault , I instigated it


_________________
Release me from moral assumption
Total rejection total destruction


BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

23 Aug 2020, 10:41 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
My fault , I instigated it


No dude, it's wasn't you.

Asking and answering clear and direct questions in here and understanding where we stand is a necessity.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

23 Aug 2020, 10:45 am

Yeah. Sounds entirely Like a huge misunderstanding exacerbated by political extremes and tensions seeping in n colouring our views and covid19 tension.. Using irony to prove a point ....
but somehow was taken as sonething totally different ..sigh
Bring ASD into the mix..


Believe me ive had such issues with my brother and mom or seen them do it to each other without at all seeing it.. Just cuz they have totally opposing belief systems


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


Last edited by blooiejagwa on 23 Aug 2020, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.