Page 158 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162  Next

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 10:40 am

It's not an attack when by name he mentioned someone publicly here had the audacity to declare he was the victim of hate etc and the last posts. And alluded to them to ALL not some random person

What type of atmosphere is ok with you guys?

I've seen people here jump to defend racial slurs TOWARDS others - as well or ignore them entirely but jump to reassure the racist user later--

and excuse people who never apologized for anything let alone something like this .and merely observed this mind you and tried not be confrontational but on occasion pointed it out to the person when I felt it was obscene. not surprised milder or subtler bullying is ok with people.
Can see the distinction.

In any case have asked to be banned by the walrus dude.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 10:45 am

This thread has deteriorated into gossip.  It reminds me of a bunch of old church ladies arguing over who is at fault in the Pastor's divorce, when not one of them is related to the Pastor or his soon-to-be ex-wife.

I am not saying that any of you actually is an "old church lady"; but is there really nothing else to discuss?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 10:47 am

The current atmosphere is not okay, but the conversation is still ongoing. The forum would be lesser without you blooiejagwa. :)

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 10:49 am

Feyokien wrote:
The current atmosphere is not okay, but the conversation is still ongoing. The forum would be lesser without you blooiejagwa. :)
Agreed. Also the forum would be lesser without each and every one of you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 10:52 am

Yep. I would miss the avatar, Blooie.....and your perspective, too.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 11:14 am

Feyokien wrote:
wise ferret wrote:
my intention here is to not cause meltdowns but prevent them

the creator wrote:
I’m just trying to prevent racism and hate on the site not push a specific political belief.

Can we find a way to make these two mesh? :chin:

Just a suggestion to the rule writers.

Bump

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 12:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
WP has so much potential.

We should not abandon all the lonely people just because of mere politics.

Please.....let us seek to set aside our arguments for the sake of those for whom this Site was meant: all the people who feel disenfranchised because they feel like people disregard them because of their autism.

I know how these people feel. I feel disenfranchised to a certain extent.

Alex did a great thing in starting this Site. An essential thing.

Excellent comment.

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 11:38 am

alex wrote:
I came here with the intention of trying to help fix the issues I saw and tried my best to come up with a set of rules that reflected anti-racist principles and the pushback to this is absolutely shocking to me. I expected some dissent but the amount of people who are defending hate is just too hard for me to handle. And the attacks and bullying of me on this thread just because of me calling out racism and explaining my views are really hurtful.

The main problem is not 'racism' or 'tribalism' ~ but the permitted 'attacks' and 'bullying' that are enabled by the codes of conduct here. :pale:

A person's narrative or commentary can be for example in part or whole psychologically frameworked into the networks of their physiology, and hence the pain that was felt as being 'really hurtful' when your narrative on 'racism' was as permitted . . . attacked! 8O

If mild attacks remain acceptable as being exemplars for permitted conduct as a primary step, when pushes come to shoves then as have been allowed ~ secondary steps will be more severe attacks, and hence this website is not in principle a support website for vulnerable individuals. :cry:

Therefore in principle Wrong Planet is a social website that (during disputes) permits at best attacks on people's narratives and at worst facilitates attacks upon their persons, in concrete factual terms. :?:

The basic problem then seemingly is that by analogy 'limbs' (as representing members) are getting effectively 'amputated' (banned) or left to 'drop-off' (depart); whilst the causative 'infection' (the law for attack) just gets ignored as being the initiatory problem! 8O

Last edited by Deepthought 7 on 27 Aug 2020, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 11:51 am

@Deepthought 7: When does a difference of opinion become an attack?  If attacks are defined as any expressed difference of opinion between two people, then there is no "safe space", only an "echo chamber" where no disagreements can occur.

Taken further, if attacks are defined as any expressed difference of opinion between two people, then this post would likely be deleted, and I would receive yet another board warning from the mods.

Is that what you want?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Aug 2020, 11:52 am

Deepthought 7 wrote:
alex wrote:
I came here with the intention of trying to help fix the issues I saw and tried my best to come up with a set of rules that reflected anti-racist principles and the pushback to this is absolutely shocking to me. I expected some dissent but the amount of people who are defending hate is just too hard for me to handle. And the attacks and bullying of me on this thread just because of me calling out racism and explaining my views are really hurtful.

The main problem is not 'racism' or 'tribalism' ~ but the permitted 'attacks' and 'bullying' that are enabled by the codes of conduct here. :pale:

A person's narrative or commentary can be for example in part or whole psychologically frameworked into the networks of their physiology, and hence the pain that was felt as being 'really hurtful' when your narrative on 'racism' was as permitted . . . attacked! 8O

If mild attacks remain acceptable as being exemplars for permitted conduct as a primary step, when pushes come to shoves then as have been allowed ~ secondary steps will be more severe attacks, and hence this website is not in principle a support website for vulnerable individuals. :cry:

Therefore in principle Wrong Planet is a social website that permits at best attacks on people's narratives and at worst facilitates attacks upon their persons, in concrete factual terms. :?:

The basic problem then seemingly is that by analogy 'limbs' (as representing members) are getting effectively 'amputated' (banned) or left to 'drop-off' (depart); whilst the causative 'infection' (the law for attack) just gets ignored as being the initiatory problem! 8O

Agreed. We need to focus on stopping bullying here. I hadn't realized the full extent of that issue and now see why a lot of people are worried that my guidelines would enable people to bully.

I certainly don't want that to happen and have started thinking about creating another set of guidelines that makes it clear you can't use any rule as justification to attack people or make them feel unsafe. I've been trying to dialogue with a few members one on one to see how we can make that happen but feel free to use this thread to brainstorm ideas about that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:21 pm

One rule I'd like to see enforced:

Private and confidential information shared in trust between members and moderators, or any two people, should not be referenced or repeated to other members directly or indirectly, as jokes or in any other way, whether to shame the person as a passive-aggressive defamation of their character, as an abuse of power and confidence, or even for fun.

I think such instances should have a zero tolerance policy, especially if it's not the person's first infraction.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
One rule I'd like to see enforced: Private and confidential information shared in trust between members and moderators, or any two people, should not be referenced or repeated to other members directly or indirectly, as jokes or in any other way, whether to shame the person as a passive-aggressive defamation of their character, as an abuse of power and confidence, or even for fun. I think such instances should have a zero tolerance policy, especially if it's not the person's first infraction.
An even better idea would be to share nothing in private that you would not share in public.

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
@Deepthought 7: When does a difference of opinion become an attack?  If attacks are defined as any expressed difference of opinion between two people, then there is no "safe space", only an "echo chamber" where no disagreements can occur.

Taken further, if attacks are defined as any expressed difference of opinion between two people, then this post would likely be deleted, and I would receive yet another board warning from the mods.

Is that what you want?

That is what you imagine I might want, but an 'attack' is more generally defined in the objective sense as being:

1.) To set upon in a forceful, violent, hostile, or aggressive way, with or without a weapon; begin fighting with: He attacked him with his bare hands.

2.) To begin hostilities against; start an offensive against: to attack the enemy.

3.) to blame or abuse violently or bitterly.

Which is exactly what I do not want at all in the codes of conduct on Wrong Planet ~ as it keeps resulting in peoples feelings getting hurt, and members getting banned or being too frightened to post, or else leaving and finding other websites to frequent. But ~ rather than attacking a persons opinion, one can though 'criticise' it instead as objectively involving:

1.) To censure or find fault with.

2.) To judge or discuss the merits and faults of: to criticize three novels in one review.

Which makes more literal sense in terms of Wrong Planet becoming first and foremost a support website for vulnerable individuals, does it not?

Last edited by Deepthought 7 on 27 Aug 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:29 pm

Glad there has been progress.

Let the changes be fair and kind.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Aug 2020, 12:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
One rule I'd like to see enforced:

Private and confidential information shared in trust between members and moderators, or any two people, should not be referenced or repeated to other members directly or indirectly, as jokes or in any other way, whether to shame the person as a passive-aggressive defamation of their character, as an abuse of power and confidence, or even for fun.

I think such instances should have a zero tolerance policy, especially if it's not the person's first infraction.

Agreed. Had this happen to me and it really bothered me. And it was not even all that personal, just something I had thought about sharing publicly but ultimately decided not to. Still felt like a violation though.

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:31 pm

Temeraire wrote:
Glad there has been progress.

Let the changes be fair and kind.

Definitely! :heart: