Page 121 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 162  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 10:46 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I would much rather have a bipolar member of the Mustelidae family around than a bigoted member of the Canidae family.
And with a member of the grumpy infraorder Gekkota family we could all be a happy dysfunctional family although I don't know anyone from the bigoted Canidae family , as to a bipolar Mustelidae it's been ruled out.
I appreciate you, Ferris.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 10:47 am

Everyone is welcome here. If we all agreed 100% with each other on every point it would make for an exceedingly boring world. The thing is to disagree respectfully.

Sorry, meant to write disagree... my bad.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Last edited by envirozentinel on 24 Aug 2020, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.: typo

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 10:51 am

envirozentinel wrote:
The thing is to agree respectfully.

Also to disagree respectfully.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:03 am

Fnord wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I would much rather have a bipolar member of the Mustelidae family around than a bigoted member of the Canidae family.
And with a member of the grumpy infraorder Gekkota family we could all be a happy dysfunctional family although I don't know anyone from the bigoted Canidae family , as to a bipolar Mustelidae it's been ruled out.
I appreciate you, Ferris.

[sarcasm]Who are you and what have you done with Fnord :P [/sarcasm]

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:12 am

Nice to see both of you back posting, people thought you eloped :P

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:19 am

^ It's difficult for me to reply to that without being lewd and offending decent people's sensibilities :jester:

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:19 am

Who says they didn't? :wink:

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:20 am

So I've only just found this thread. I don't know if anything productive has been accomplished in it, but I'd like to bring something up.

Tldr version:

If you get banned, you have to go through the mod that banned you and if they don't want to, well tough luck. That should change. I think you should be able to get a second look at the issue from other mods, but if you can't, at the very least the mod in question should have to properly engage, and if they can't be bothered, then at the very least then other mods should be able to take over.

Does this mean mods are above reproach? And that they can't reverse something even if it's blatantly obvious it should be if the punisher doesn't want to?

Longer version:

A while back, I got banned for being "racist" when I wasn't by Skilpadde, and after the ban expired I went into the mod thread to seek answers. I didn't even know what I could have got banned for. There was no prior warning of anything either.

Ferris and Walrus both expected me to know who banned me and why, I knew neither.

She didn't show up in the mod thread and they eventually found out it was Skilpadde and told me to pm her, but I couldn't as she'd disabled the option to pm her.

So they got in touch with her for me, and she came to the thread, irritated, and posted basically what amounted to I banned you for being racist cuz you were, duh. And that was that.

So I continued seeking an explanation, and was getting brushed off by envirozentinal, until Smudge showed up in the thread concerned about the way I was being treated so the attitude changed and I got a pm for the explanation, but it wasn't really an explanation, though it was established what post triggered the ban. We did kind of make up with each other, but all in all it's just sloppy and shabby treatment, and it doesn't need to be if mods aren't above reproach from other mods.

At least the other three mods were willing to put in a not insignificant amount of time and effort, and I did learn a few things about how things work here. But I'm sure no one could have explained it because the ban was wrong.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:22 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
^ It's difficult for me to reply to that without being lewd and offending decent people's sensibilities :jester:

Do you see any decent people around? :mrgreen:

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:39 am

alex wrote:
the idea is an optional supporter thing so it wouldn't be required. i think you can get a special badge next to your name saying supporter.

alex wrote:
well i had a page you could donate on paypal for the old site but i'd have to tweak it and set it up. I'd also want to know what people thought the main default options as far as $$ per month or per year should be.

Unfortunately I make most of my money from speaking and acting now and that hasn't happened because of this virus but then also most people aren't making much now so I don't know if people would feel like becoming supporters.

Also, maybe there's something of value that could make it more like a freemium model (it's free unless you want the extra content like a podcast or something else but that would be a whole lot of more work for me and i'm sort of already busy with a lot).

Bump

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Aug 2020, 11:45 am

blooiejagwa wrote:
alex wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
alex wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=388536

Is this the thread that has everyone so riled up?

There's likely more than one, this has been a point of contention for years, even in the era BT. :lol:

BT = Before Trump I assume?

Has Sly ever actually supported white nationalist groups verbally? Are his responses meant as a critique to how some people perceive 'the Left' to be pure.

Sly I think this would be a good time to explain your point of view carefully and calmly as you can.

He used the N word in this thread.

Where did he say that?

I am not reading 116 pages to find it.

he equated people calling him a white supremacist with people calling black people the n word, but he wrote it out

In context that doesn't sound racist.. He's posing one insult alongside what he believes is the equivalent to show how offended he feels

We live in a country that enslaved Black people very recently and legally enforced racism even more recently. There were formerly enslaved people still alive when my parents were not only alive but were adults.

Consequently it’s going to be common for a lot of us to be racist when we were raised in a country that supported and encouraged racism and still does. We need to be vigilant and anti racist with each other (but especially with ourselves)

The idea that saying the n word is ok in any context is just not right.

You aren’t even supposed to sing it along when a black person uses it in a song.

Calling out others as racist is not an insult. I’d want to be called out as racist if I said something racist so I could make sure to never do that thing again.

People are looking at it the wrong way. It’s not even a left right issue.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:47 am

Hi Alex and welcome back. Do you think we can start over?

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Aug 2020, 11:50 am

Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:
the idea is an optional supporter thing so it wouldn't be required. i think you can get a special badge next to your name saying supporter.

alex wrote:
well i had a page you could donate on paypal for the old site but i'd have to tweak it and set it up. I'd also want to know what people thought the main default options as far as $$ per month or per year should be.

Unfortunately I make most of my money from speaking and acting now and that hasn't happened because of this virus but then also most people aren't making much now so I don't know if people would feel like becoming supporters.

Also, maybe there's something of value that could make it more like a freemium model (it's free unless you want the extra content like a podcast or something else but that would be a whole lot of more work for me and i'm sort of already busy with a lot).

Bump

My paypal is just my email [email protected] if people want to help out before I set up a recurring monthly supporter thing.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:55 am

Alex: do you have time now to consider other issues than the political one, including the financial aspect of things or is it too early in the day for you?

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Aug 2020, 12:04 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Alex: do you have time now to consider other issues than the political one, including the financial aspect of things or is it too early in the day for you?

How so?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:04 pm

First, I think what happened in here last night (my night) was in many ways a misunderstanding: the reactions and memes you've seen were a result of the recent and not so recent PPR wars where things went so far, people ended up having to defend themselves in unusual ways. They posted in here without realising that you haven't seen any of it or the way they have been treated (theory of mind I guess) and I realise how inappropriate and over the top they might seem taken out of context.

But I have a more pragmatical, solution-oriented kind of mind and I have a few thoughts regarding the site situation.