Page 8 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 162  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Jul 2020, 1:54 pm

^We'll accept that. Examples don't have to be for real and he would not be the member actually selected for such a task.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 1:57 pm

Personally I would vote BenderRodriguez or someone else who isn't sensitive yet is tactful and aware.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:02 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
We need you to stay, BR, and you always make valued contribution here. Thank you for sticking it out! We will be getting more proactive here. I already got one member to amend/delete a remark he made just yesterday.

Reporting per PM or on the Mod Att thread might be preferable, as the reports generated using the report button start resembling an online filing cabinet and action there often takes time as the mod team are few and often busy offline. But we see PMs and new posts on the Mod Att thread quicker.

At least one new person with admin tools will have to be appointed by Alex - two former mods, TallyMan and Cornflake had these but no one else since their time.

I'm aware that the buggy software and admin absence is the core of the issue and remember Tally and Cornflake, I got along with them just fine. Do you have any reason to believe we'll get a new admin?

Otherwise, for the last year or two, I had to take regular breaks to prevent the toxicity here spilling into my personal life and affecting my mood. This particular year and the current situation really made things unprecedently bad.

Many of us have a strong attachment to this forum and I think people might return or try to help if they saw actual positive change, but consistency will be needed.

Edit: a bit of transparency would also help us understand better how things go. Like sending a short message when posts get removed, just this broke this rule, please don't do it again. Autistic people often don't understand when they did something wrong, but this would also protect you from people who claim they don't. Do you guys still have that system 3 warnings=suspension? Do you issue both informal and formal warnings? The way it worked in the past, I could easily tell when someone was running on 3 warnings just by how civil and well-behaved they suddenly became :lol:

Alex_2x4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2020, 2:03 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
Alex_2x4 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
When valid reports are ignored or dismissed, people stop reporting, so what could be done if we don't have enough mods or they don't have enough time to keep up? We're already probably the first internet site to "function" without an admin and that's in itself causing endless problems.

Apart from the obvious answer that includes admin and new mods there is little that can be done except a bit of naval gazing.

Maybe some fastidious willing members could be promoted to a higher position than member but only in name. They should be treated with the same respect as a moderator.

So not quite self moderation but you could have a member in each sub section promoting harmony alongside the mods.

e.g. Fnord could be assigned PPR and given a set list of things to look out for and be allowed to step in and promote harmony

Don't shoot the messenger

This sounds a very good plan. There are already a few members I am thinking of and that are willing to, who don't quite want to accept mod duties but have volunteered.

Well it could be a good intermediate roll to get a small taste of moderating promoting harmony.

You could make them jazzy avatars and a kickass signature to show their status.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:14 pm

Alex_2x4 wrote:

Apart from Fnord what do you think of my idea ?

Amity suggested something like this in the past. I think some very clear guidelines would be needed for people to accept putting themselves in that position :wink:

smudge wrote:
Personally I would vote BenderRodriguez or someone else who isn't sensitive yet is tactful and aware.

What kind of trouble are trying to get me into now, young lady? :P

Alex_2x4
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2020, 2:21 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Alex_2x4 wrote:

Apart from Fnord what do you think of my idea ?

Amity suggested something like this in the past. I think some very clear guidelines would be needed for people to accept putting themselves in that position :wink:

For sure , it would have to be official and promoted by all the mods, and the volunteers would have to understand they would be under stricter rules themselves. It would all have to be hashed out by mods and volunteers.

As for Amity , we obviously think alike :D

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:28 pm

smudge wrote:

I assume you mean for a Mod,Yea I would vote BR also,he would be a great choice :)

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:36 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
smudge wrote:

What kind of trouble are trying to get me into now, young lady? :P

Hehe!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 2:52 pm

Moderating is not easy. It is like being a guard on the train (Here we call them guards or conductors). 9 times out of 10, it is best to do nothing as people sort themselves out. (I learn't that through 9 years of working on the railway where when one first takes on the job, one can easily overdo it when there wasn't an actual issue other then two people who had a little too much to drink just having a few words and that would be it... So if I came in and said something it would wind them up... But if I approached friendly and chatty all would be fine).
Now obviously the internet world is different from real life. (I am not saying this is not real life. I am saying online is different).

The difficulty is in knowing when to say something and when to let it go. Say something and one can be accused of being heavy handed and one can risk loosing members that way. Don't say something and one risks loosing others who feel sometjing should have been done. It is not an easy job.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 3:20 pm

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 3:22 pm

sly279 wrote:

Well raged.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 4:59 pm

Alex_2x4 wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
... I think some very clear guidelines would be needed for people to accept putting themselves in that position.
For sure , it would have to be official and promoted by all the mods, and the volunteers would have to understand they would be under stricter rules themselves. It would all have to be hashed out by mods and volunteers...
Agreed.  As long as the rules are very clear as to what can and cannot be posted; what constitutes bullying, harassment, obscenity, and spam; what criteria must be met before threads are locked and members suspended or banned; and swift, consistent enforcement thereof; I think we would have a more fair and equitable system.

Or we could stick with the way things are right now and wait for Alex to get tired of it all and simply do away with the entire website.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:13 pm

I honestly think people need to start reminding themselves when they post on here that no one here knows them in real life nor has been a part of any mistreatment they've gotten in real life. It seems like members often take out their pent up aggression at people on other members, and sometimes there's members that are used to people in real life mistreating them so they take any wrong word as a slight against them. Putting down someone on here isn't going to make other people stop putting you down nor erase the bullying you faced as a child, and acting like someone is putting you down when they're just disagreeing with you isn't going to stop that either. You don't become top dog just because you started throwing punches at no one in particular and you don't magically garner pity and shut off discussion just because you felt punches where there were none.

There's a few members who I know this applies to because whenever their behaviour is called out they have to mention being mistreated in real life so "that's why I can't check my own behaviour!". And no, this isn't directed at anyone in particular even though a few people have made it painfully aware they operate this way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:19 pm

We’ve been through storms before.

We will prevail.

WP is a strong Site.

I will do my best to help, in my small way, ensure that this is a Site that is safe for all users.

I will try to do a better job than I did previously.

WP HAS a future. Its doom has been prophesied for at least five years now.

Paradoxically, WP’s idiosyncrasies, I feel, has contributed to it thriving.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
Alex_2x4 wrote:
Devils Advocate: The Fnord issue ? has been resolved: he has changed , quit , been banned , whatever , use your imagination...
I have?  When did that happen?  Why was I not informed?

"you cant handle the truth" jack nickelson. lolololol. minor overtures of sarcasm implied . sorry my twisted humour could not be helped . :ninja:

where ever you go ,there you are

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2020, 5:22 pm

Great post, Kortie.

Leading by example.