Page 151 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 162  Next

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:28 am

Teach51 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:
magz wrote:
alex wrote:
I see all of these but it seems like par for the course. PPR has always been a place where people speak freely and are allowed to share their beliefs. And it’s generally been accepted that if you can’t stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. And by that I mean members sensitive to things like “all conservatives are nazis” should probably avoid the ppr forum.

How about "all liberals love Stalin"? Or maybe "All the Jews want genocide on Arabs"? "All men are agressive"? "All women are gold diggers?" "All left-wingers are hypocritical"? "All centrists are spineless"?

All progressives are sanctimonious, self-righteous virtue signallers. 8)

"All BLM protesters want to just demolish and loot"? <- I strongly disagree with that one but I'm asking about boundaries of the acceptable.

magz, you "blinked" first. :mrgreen:

All Antifa members are left-wing fascists. 8)
Hey,
This is fun! :mrgreen:

All kangaroos are marsupial supremacists! (Ye gods, the shame of it!) fight for KLM (not the airline, kangaroo lives matter!! ! !) I'm just suffering from conflict fatigue, don't mind me.

Too amiable.

Not enough picking on your own species.

Conflict, grabbing onto minutiae, making a mountain over them, and intentional meanness,
Unrepentant rudeness, etc
is what has spurred the past few pages of tthis thread it seems.

Esp I'm guessing with the tension from this past covid19 lockdown and the fallout from that...

Make it worse. 10 times more hurtful. I'll volunteer as a target.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:29 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
@Alex: When you go about re-writing The Rules, please take care to not define racist, sexist, and generally bigoted speech so narrowly that anyone with only a little savvy can be as racist, sexist, or generally bigoted as they want and still not technically violate The Rules.  Also, please do not make the definitions so broad that quoting racist, sexist, or generally bigoted statements, or using those same statements to describe racism, sexism, or bigotry would unintentionally violate the rules.  Thank you.
After the edit, I no longer interpret your post as sarcastic.
Yes, I considered Beria's Principle after I had clicked the 'Submit' button.

I've been trying to word the definitions just complex enough to cover most any incident, without making them so complex as to not be understood.  Of course, there is little one can do to defeat the efforts of armchair lawyers who can wring out any justification they need from even the most draconian set of rules.

And the other way around - compose an accusation of being evil because "it was his intent to be evil when he did this innocent thing". Sounds familiar?

I don't want people to freely express harmful content because under narrow definition of "harmful", they are within the rules. I don't want people get massively attacked for being poor in communication so people interpret their words as harmful.
In dubious cases, I believe in clarification and if someone needs help with it, I am volunteering.

I think this started a long time ago but some members have engaged in covert bullying - that is a fact.

It is also a fact that some people misinterpret behaviour as covert bullying.

toxic behaviour has a caused an atmosphere of paranoia for some.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:31 am

Let me try a few of these sweeping generalizations ...

• "All successful people lied, cheated, and stole their way to the top."

• "All neurotypicals are shallow, vain, and lacking in empathy for others."

• "All smart people derive great pleasure from making others look stupid."

• "All people in relationships are that way only because of luck, not attractiveness."

• "All employed people are hired and/or promoted only because of luck, not skill or ability."

I have read these, or variations of these, on this website, and no one has been banned for saying them.  So how far should bigotry be prosecuted?  Is it only women and minorities that should enjoy the benefits of anti-bigotry laws or rules?  Should sweeping generalizations be banned as well?  How about other fallacies of reason?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:34 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
I think this started a long time ago but some members have engaged in covert bullying - that is a fact.
If the alleged bullying was indeed covert, then how was it "discovered"?
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
It is also a fact that some people misinterpret behaviour as covert bullying.  Toxic behaviour has a caused an atmosphere of paranoia for some.
Ah-HAH!  I have my answer!

Some people imagine personal attacks where there are none.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:36 am

Fnord wrote:

• "All people in relationships are that way only because of luck, not attractiveness."

• "All employed people are hired and/or promoted only because of luck, not skill or ability."

I have read these, or variations of these, on this website, and no one has been banned for saying them.  So how far should bigotry be prosecuted?  Is it only women and minorities that should enjoy the benefits of anti-bigotry laws or rules?  Should sweeping generalizations be banned as well?  How about other fallacies of reason?

Fallacies of reason are to be expected when any group of people chat. They also spark discussions to put things in a broader perspective and explore aspects with people's own experiences added on.Discussions are fluid.
Walk around in normal life and see how it goes.
Most of what you've written seems to have been examples of people venting and a portion of what is then discussed and gone over not something written in stone or printed in a freaking textbook.

But some take the opportunity to pretend that is not the case-- to get out whatever moral superiority and poisonous sanctimony they needed to expunge probably in real life but online it's easier to do it

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 9:37 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:

It is also a fact that some people misinterpret behaviour as covert bullying.

toxic behaviour has a caused an atmosphere of paranoia for some.

Yes, there is covert bullying and there is misinterpretation of innocent behaviors as covert bullying.
There are also a lot of triggers that may have effect of real covert bullying despite no such intention.
These situations need to be clarified, so the accidental bully can learn how to correct their behaviors.
In drastic cases, some users may be told not to interact with some other users.

If a case of real covert bullying was managed that way and it led to improvement of behavior, I don't give a damn about the original evil intention. Yes, I'm pragmatic.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:39 am

Fnord wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
It is also a fact that some people misinterpret behaviour as covert bullying.  Toxic behaviour has a caused an atmosphere of paranoia for some.
Ah-HAH!  I have my answer!

Some people imagine personal attacks where there are none.

They do. Or they read something applied to a group and take it as a personal attack. In which case they are free to fire back or free to....Here's the word... In shimmering rainbow colours... Could it be...

IGNORE

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:41 am

magz wrote:
Yes, there is covert bullying and there is misinterpretation of innocent behaviors as covert bullying.  There are also a lot of triggers that may have effect of real covert bullying despite no such intention.  These situations need to be clarified, so the accidental bully can learn how to correct their behaviors.  In drastic cases, some users may be told not to interact with some other users.  If a case of real covert bullying was managed that way and it led to improvement of behavior, I don't give a damn about the original evil intention.  Yes, I'm pragmatic.
Yes, that would be a far better way of handling alleged cases of "covert bullying" than 50+ pages of accusations and no proof.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:42 am

Fnord wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:

Probably the same way anything is discovered , reports , PM's and moderator interpretation

I don't have access to my old account otherwise I could send you the PM's I have for evidence.

If you want one example:

A member here gaslighted and manipulated me , they then created a sock puppet to claim I was a sock puppet of another member they thought I was. This is all proved and documented.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:47 am

Fnord wrote:

Yeah, people generalizations have been banned for a long time.

Be the hero of your life.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:54 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
... This is all proved and documented.
I'm sorry that happened.

Still, I take issue with the idea of "covert" activity that everybody (except me) seems to see everywhere, especially that the word "covert" means "hidden".  How can something be so obvious to so many people if it is hidden?  If it is so obvious, then why refer to it as "hidden" in the first place?

It's like saying that a hidden 18-wheeler sneaked up behind me, covertly sounded its 140-dB air-horn, and I was the only one who didn't hear or see it.

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 9:58 am

Fnord wrote:
Still, I take issue with the idea of "covert" activity that everybody (except me) seems to see everywhere
Granted, I haven't been here that long, but I don't see this covert activity either. So much so that I reached out to someone here to point me to it. Still couldn't see it though.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:11 am

Sorry but I don't have the energy to explain in detail what covert bullying and it's many forms are but if you are a victim of it eventually you will be mentally affected by it , you are sometimes the last to know that it is happening.

If you are genuinely interested , there are numerous articles that could explain it better than I could.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:12 am

Fnord wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
I'm sorry that happened.

Still, I take issue with the idea of "covert" activity that everybody (except me) seems to see everywhere, especially that the word "covert" means "hidden".  How can something be so obvious to so many people if it is hidden?  If it is so obvious, then why refer to it as "hidden" in the first place?

It's like saying that a hidden 18-wheeler sneaked up behind me, covertly sounded its 140-dB air-horn, and I was the only one who didn't hear or see it.

Maybe you were the one driving the 18-wheeler and too used to the sound to notice or deaf to it?

although...
apparently that is my case in regular life but have noticed it's stated by the ppl who dont want to see what I've pointed out about their actual bullying over time...or 2 cases actual gaslighting. (Yess.. With proof :roll: )

I did not think on WP people are generally given to such accusations with manipulative intent like 'gaslighting'...

except possibly when talking about politics ...which I guess is only because of how divisive and combative things have become in real life. Or because a certain person represents to them ppl they have had issues with in real life even if that person is coming from an entirely different place

By osmosis things take on that tone here too but the trouble is we are not intrinsically skilled enough to know what we're doing half the time if we actually attempt to mimic it, so it becomes a muddled mess and lots of theory of mind and other actual Autistic issues present themselves no matter how intelligent the person thinks they are we all have blind spots .. As it's a spectrum, the interpretations and harsh views and emotional ranges keep conflicting because in each persons mind, their reality is truth.

Those who seem more affected by ASD in this regard don't see the point of those who aren't and vice versa. But 'more/less' also varies. .

in all that mess ppl who are expert assh0les/manipulators/bullies/intentionally cruel jerks.. have a 'free for all' as they wish and can use whatever explanation (above) to defend themselves

Writing on phone in a rush as usual so plz understand that too

Last edited by blooiejagwa on 25 Aug 2020, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:15 am

^^^No worries, Ferris.  I guess it's good for me that any "covert bullying" directed at me flies so low under my radar that I simply don't notice it.  Heck, I don't usually know that I'm being gaslighted until someone else points it out!

Last edited by Fnord on 25 Aug 2020, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 10:15 am

Fnord wrote:
Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
I'm sorry that happened.

Thanks dude :heart: