Page 162 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It is very interesting that many of the users who are leaping to the defence of the use of the n-word have also been campaigning for a ban on the use of the word “racist”.

It is very interesting to me that many of the users today arguing that users should be interpreted charitably have been campaigning for users to be banned based on extraordinarily uncharitable interpretations of their posts.

Take a good hard look at yourselves. I’d love for WrongPlanet to be a place where mistakes are tolerated and we try to be nice to each other, but at the moment you’re extending charity extremely unevenly. This isn’t going to be a popular comment, but I feel morally bound to make it. It’s completely fair to call this white supremacy in action.

I appreciate that not all of you are being toxic, some of you are genuinely being really nice to everyone! But I really do wish some of you would extend the warmth you have towards Sly to people who raise concerns about racism. The last few days have shown a really ugly side of some people I have only ever had respect for, and it’s so disappointing.
I would like to apologise to anyone who felt hurt by these comments. They had to be said, and I feel they are clear, but I didn’t want you to be hurt and if you were then that is on me.
There is never any need to apologize for telling the truth.  If you had not said it, I would have, and nobody would have liked the way I would have said it.

Somebody's "Truth" may not be a True reflection of reality.
It is wrong to ignore this possibility.

Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It is very interesting that many of the users who are leaping to the defence of the use of the n-word have also been campaigning for a ban on the use of the word "racist". It is very interesting to me that many of the users today arguing that users should be interpreted charitably have been campaigning for users to be banned based on extraordinarily uncharitable interpretations of their posts. Take a good hard look at yourselves. I'd love for WrongPlanet to be a place where mistakes are tolerated and we try to be nice to each other, but at the moment you’re extending charity extremely unevenly. This isn't going to be a popular comment, but I feel morally bound to make it. It's completely fair to call this white supremacy in action. I appreciate that not all of you are being toxic, some of you are genuinely being really nice to everyone! But I really do wish some of you would extend the warmth you have towards Sly to people who raise concerns about racism. The last few days have shown a really ugly side of some people I have only ever had respect for, and it's so disappointing.
I would like to apologise to anyone who felt hurt by these comments. They had to be said, and I feel they are clear, but I didn’t want you to be hurt and if you were then that is on me.
There is never any need to apologize for telling the truth. If you had not said it, I would have, and nobody would have liked the way I would have said it.
I was given a warning and told to drop this subject so I presume everybody should? It would be grossly unfair to continue wouldn't it?
Those seem like reasonable conclusions.

I do love you Fnord :wink:

I can recommend a good psychiatrist, for you, if you want. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:48 pm

magz wrote:
Oh. You want to stress on "criticizing" vs "attacking" distinction.
I'm not proficient in English enough to judge and I think the line is too blurred to make the distinction a law.
I would generally discourage any form personal adressing when expressing disagreement, just to stay on the safe side.
Disagreement with opinions is always best when presented in a calm and eloquent manned but let's be real - we can't expect it from every user at every time. Honestly - we can't expect it from any user at every time.

Except me. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:52 pm

League_Girl wrote:

And the problem is, there are people who cannot take any sort of criticism at all and may take any disagreement as criticism so in their mind, they got attacked.

There are people who embrace their emotions, rather than their rationality, yes.

League_Girl wrote:
We can't make everyone happy.

Given enough time, *I* can. 8)

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 4:02 am

magz wrote:

Yes ~ less visceral involving more the intestinal gut-brain axis when it comes to attacks, and more rational involving not only the intestinal gut-brain but also the cardial heart-brain and cerebral head-brain as the trinity of axial brains when it comes to critiques.

Otherwise with just the intestinal gut-brain activity being more the case involving attacks ~ only the sensational, reproductional and imaginal sensibilities are directly active or even overactive, whilst the emotional, communicational, sentimental and rational sensibilities are indirectly active, or 'latent' (in standby mode).

Thus it is that groupthought involving quasi-rational and foe-rational sensibilities come to the fore, with tribal battles taking place between the most upset and the most angry ~ with individual departures and collective exoduses resulting.

magz wrote:
I'm not proficient in English enough to judge and I think the line is too blurred to make the distinction a law.

When someone goes from attacking one or more peoples comments to attacking them as an individual or group ~ it is more serious in law than would be the case of criticism. Attacks are for example more dangerous because they facilitate to a greater extent the aggressive Id, as involves more regret and apologies after which, and critiques are safer as they facilitate the rational self and involves more learning and self moderation during and after which.

So for example that was a critique of your statement, where as an attack would be "In not being proficient in English, and thinking that the line is too blurred to make a distinction between attacks and critiques for the sake of law, there is little point in taking part in this discussion, because defining the differences between critiques is the whole point of which." as being sarcastically polite, or more simply as rude "If you can't understand English get out of here!" At which point a report to a moderator who has not posted on this thread would be appropriate, by way of either the report tab at the bottom left of that post ~ selecting "[Personal attack >> this message contains a personal attack]" because no one has the right to discriminate against you because English is not your first language, and dismissing you is hardly going to be supportive in terms of better understanding English. If of course you feel particularly upset by the personal attack and feel that an immediate response is necessary (such as the thread is getting increasing hostile) send a Private Message to one of the moderators who has not posted on this or the thread in question, via the "MODERATOR ATTENTION: How To Get Help When You Need It" thread, or else leave a post reporting the issue and the thread title and or a link to the thread.

So very simply attacks aim to incapacitate or knock out, and critiques aim to educate or inform, sort of thing.

magz wrote:
I would generally discourage any form personal adressing when expressing disagreement, just to stay on the safe side.

Addressing people personally when expressing disagreement is definitely worth discouraging, especially when it comes to imaginatively assumed and dismissively projected states of mind:

Fnord wrote:
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature, nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others, individuals should only be judged or defined by their actions and choices, and not by what we imagine their intentions and motivations to be.

What with an awful lot of which having gone on earlier in this thread.

magz wrote:
Disagreement with opinions is always best when presented in a calm and eloquent manned but let's be real - we can't expect it from every user at every time. Honestly - we can't expect it from any user at every time.

That "calm and eloquent mannerisms being expected of every one at every time" is rather an argumentum ad hominem and a straw-man state of affairs ~ being that as you state we cant accept it even though having introduced it, whilst the point I was making is about replacing attacks with critiques so that they can be increasingly differentiated from one another in more peaceful times, as would provide a scale of self moderation and developmental learning where attacks can be identified and rectified earlier (rather than later) ~ making the first scale into the second scale involving domineering argumentation, and the second scale into the third scale involving membership departures and exoduses.

As such critiques as facilitating discussion become then the first scale of acceptable behaviour, attacks as domineering argumentation become then the second scale of unacceptable behaviour, and departures and exoduses as membership terminations or exclusions become then the third scale of undesirable outcomes.

Thus during the primary scale of interactions involving rational critiques ~ there are much lower levels of stress or fear for members when thinking about posting, just before posting or until responded to, because even when disagreements are on the go they would be more informative discussions ~ as is generally the case with support websites for vulnerable individuals, with of course the Wrong Planet website of forums having been the exception to the rule as it has been first and foremost a social website. If though this website was as much a support website as well as a social website, it would be absolutely amazing without so many membership departures or even any exoduses. :heart:

A respectful supportive mannerism is achieved elsewhere and can therefore be achieved here also! :heart:

Otherwise as previously stated:
Deepthought 7 wrote:
The basic problem then seemingly is that by analogy 'limbs' (as representing members) are getting effectively 'amputated' (banned) or left to 'drop-off' (depart); whilst the causative 'infection' (the law for attack) just gets ignored as being the initiatory problem! 8O

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2020, 4:41 am

Deepthought 7 wrote:
magz wrote:

Yes ~ less visceral involving more the intestinal gut-brain axis when it comes to attacks, and more rational involving not only the intestinal gut-brain but also the cardial heart-brain and cerebral head-brain as the trinity of axial brains when it comes to critiques.

Otherwise with just the intestinal gut-brain activity being more the case involving attacks ~ only the sensational, reproductional and imaginal sensibilities are directly active or even overactive, whilst the emotional, communicational, sentimental and rational sensibilities are indirectly active, or 'latent' (in standby mode).

Thus it is that groupthought involving quasi-rational and foe-rational sensibilities come to the fore, with tribal battles taking place between the most upset and the most angry ~ with individual departures and collective exoduses resulting.
While I completely agree that this is the main problem, I doubt it can be effectively adressed by proposed changes in the rules. Making the rules more open to interpretation gives more space to gut reactions of the moderators, which makes the described problem worse instead of better.

Deepthought 7 wrote:
magz wrote:

When someone goes from attacking one or more peoples comments to attacking them as an individual or group ~ it is more serious in law than would be the case of criticism. Attacks are for example more dangerous because they facilitate to a greater extent the aggressive Id, as involves more regret and apologies after which, and critiques are safer as they facilitate the rational self and involves more learning and self moderation during and after which.

So for example that was a critique of your statement, where as an attack would be "In not being proficient in English, and thinking that the line is too blurred to make a distinction between attacks and critiques for the sake of law, there is little point in taking part in this discussion, because defining the differences between critiques is the whole point of which." as being sarcastically polite, or more simply as rude "If you can't understand English get out of here!" At which point a report to a moderator who has not posted on this thread would be appropriate, by way of either the report tab at the bottom left of that post ~ selecting "[Personal attack >> this message contains a personal attack]" because no one has the right to discriminate against you because English is not your first language, and dismissing you is hardly going to be supportive in terms of better understanding English. If of course you feel particularly upset by the personal attack and feel that an immediate response is necessary (such as the thread is getting increasing hostile) send a Private Message to one of the moderators who has not posted on this or the thread in question, via the "MODERATOR ATTENTION: How To Get Help When You Need It" thread, or else leave a post reporting the issue and the thread title and or a link to the thread.

So very simply attacks aim to incapacitate or knock out, and critiques aim to educate or inform, sort of thing.
That's absolutely right.
I'm adressing the problem from more practical point of view, imagining users engaging in endless exchanges like "That was an attack" - "No, that was a critique" - "No, that was an attack" - repeat.

That's why introducing some tolerance in the grey area may be beneficial. If it was directed at the views (say, "atheism is lawless") - tolerated despite being in a bad tone; if at persons ("atheists are lawless") - against the rules. If at a poster personally ("you're an atheist so you're lawless") - not tolerated.
Best etiquette has to be encouraged and promoted but not enforced or we will get drawn into never ending circles of reinterpretations.

Deepthought 7 wrote:
magz wrote:

Addressing people personally when expressing disagreement is definitely worth discouraging, especially when it comes to imaginatively assumed and dismissively projected states of mind:

Fnord wrote:
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature, nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others, individuals should only be judged or defined by their actions and choices, and not by what we imagine their intentions and motivations to be.

What with a lot which going earlier in this thread.

magz wrote:

That "calm and eloquent mannerisms being expected of every one at every time" is rather an argumentum ad hominem and a straw-man state of affairs ~ being that as you state we cant accept it even though having introduced it, whilst the point I was making is about replacing attacks with critiques so that they can be increasingly differentiated from one another in more peaceful times, as would provide a scale of self moderation and developmental learning where attacks can be identified and rectified earlier (rather than later) ~ making the first scale into the second scale involving domineering argumentation, and the second scale into the third scale involving membership departures and exoduses.

As such critiques as facilitating discussion become then the first scale of acceptable behaviour, attacks as domineering argumentation become then the second scale of unacceptable behaviour, and departures and exoduses as membership terminations or exclusions become then the third scale of undesirable outcomes.

Thus during the primary scale of interactions involving rational critiques ~ there are much lower levels of stress or fear for members when thinking about posting, just before posting or until responded to, because even when disagreements are on the go they would be more informative discussions ~ as is generally the case with support websites for vulnerable individuals, with of course the Wrong Planet website of forums having been the exception to the rule as it has been first and foremost a social website. If though this website was as much a support website as well as a social website, it would be absolutely amazing without so many membership departures or even any exoduses. :heart:

A respectful supportive mannerism is achieved elsewhere and can therefore be achieved here also! :heart:

Deepthought 7 wrote:
The basic problem then seemingly is that by analogy 'limbs' (as representing members) are getting effectively 'amputated' (banned) or left to 'drop-off' (depart); whilst the causative 'infection' (the law for attack) just gets ignored as being the initiatory problem! 8O
If you interpreted my answer as ad hominem and straw man, then it was a clear misunderstanding. My point was, we need some tolerance or otherwise moderation tools can be easily abused against users that for any reason got agitated and lost their calm.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 7:53 am

magz wrote:
Deepthought 7 wrote:
magz wrote:

While I completely agree that this is the main problem, I doubt it can be effectively adressed by proposed changes in the rules. Making the rules more open to interpretation gives more space to gut reactions of the moderators, which makes the described problem worse instead of better.

Well as long as attacks are permitted as far as comments go, this will keep on leading to people making comments such as those Alex reported as being “really hurtful”, as therefore perpetuates the problem of membership departures and exoduses.

The only other suggestion is to change TallyMan’s statement that “This site is first and foremost a support site” to “This site is first and foremost a social site, and second most a support site” so that the social right to attack precedes the personal right to support, with people then being free to seek other websites if they need or expect a supportive environment first and foremost.

magz wrote:
Deepthought 7 wrote:
magz wrote:

That's absolutely right.
I'm adressing the problem from more practical point of view, imagining users engaging in endless exchanges like "That was an attack" - "No, that was a critique" - "No, that was an attack" – repeat.

An attack is here contextually a negation of the written commentary so as to dominate or disqualify the writer. This should not be permitted on account of being unacceptable ‘antisocial’ (harmful) conduct.

A critique is by contrast an evaluation of the written commentary so as to facilitate or qualify the writer. This should be permitted on account of being acceptable ‘prosocial’ (helpful) conduct.

Just repeating that an attack is an attack without explanation is an attempt to dominate and disqualify the previous comment as not having relevance, and is therefore ‘antisocial’ (harmful) conduct which should not be permitted.

magz wrote:
That's why introducing some tolerance in the grey area may be beneficial. If it was directed at the views (say, "atheism is lawless") - tolerated despite being in a bad tone; if at persons ("atheists are lawless") - against the rules. If at a poster personally ("you're an atheist so you're lawless") - not tolerated.
It should follow that if “atheism is lawless” that those who practice atheism are not legally responsible, so it is rather a contradiction not to tolerate that “atheists are lawless” because that is exactly what is being described by stating that “atheism is lawless”!

In though that theists believe in God and atheists do not, and given that theists and atheists report crimes to police rather than local vicars or priests to be legally resolved ~ to state that “atheists are lawless” is an untrue mass generalisation, and hence it being bad in tone, in that it facilitates by example yet worse tones of discrimination to be expressed.

Best etiquette has to be encouraged and promoted but not enforced or we will get drawn into never ending circles of reinterpretations.

Yet the permitted attacks and the toleration of which involves worse etiquette being promoted and worse conduct being enforced as ‘repeating cycles’ of normalised abuse ~ with the moderation team and membership number departures and exoduses demonstrating that the problem is repetitive. And the whole point of suggesting the change was to get feedback on what could be clearly defined ~ not just to leave it and have more of the same.

magz wrote:
Deepthought 7 wrote:
magz wrote:

Fnord wrote:

What with a lot which going earlier in this thread.

magz wrote:

Deepthought 7 wrote:
If you interpreted my answer as ad hominem and straw man, then it was a clear misunderstanding. My point was, we need some tolerance or otherwise moderation tools can be easily abused against users that for any reason got agitated and lost their calm.

This seems to be more about tolerating the abuse that leads to membership departures and exoduses, rather than doing much or anything about the cause, just as was the case with the unrealistic concept introduced about being ‘calm and eloquent when posting every time by ever user’ which was also itself dismissed as being unrealistic in the same sentence, and dishonest as a consideration in the next sentence as follows:

magz wrote:

The thing is though it is both realistic and honest to expect changes to be made in the codes of conduct in order to reduce the prevalence of abuse, on account of it priming those who end up emotionally detonating and mentally exploding, and hence all the upset and anger that causes the membership departures and exoduses that are a repetitive problem here.

Other support sites do not have anything close to the scale of problems that we have here, as they deal with these issues in their codes of conduct and by way of members self moderating and official moderation when required ~ accordingly ~ with issues not being as here tolerated but prohibited in Aspie Central’s codes of conduct as follows:

1.Insulting or personal attacks on other members is prohibited.
Insults, whether on a personal, cultural, or national level are not tolerated here.

2. Do not attempt to "flame", "troll" or bait other members into arguments.

3. Racial, gender (sexist), neurological, and religious hatred/discrimination will not be tolerated.

And also as follows with the National Autistic Society in the UK:

1. Content must not be obscene, defamatory or libellous, vulgar, sexually orientated, hateful, threatening, or in violation of any laws.
2. Content must not be sexist, homophobic, racist, intolerant of religious beliefs, or otherwise discriminatory. This includes links to porn or hate sites.

Hence for discussion my suggestion that negating attacks as being antisocial and harmful get replaced by affirming critiques as being prosocial and helpful, recalling that that involves the logic of “Once you have met one autistic person; you have met one autistic person” regarding tolerance up to a point for each individual being a foregone conclusion.

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 7:59 am

Oh and congratulations Magz and Feyokien on having become moderators! :star:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 8:20 am

Conservatives seem to want more rules with stricter interpretations and tougher enforcement.

Liberals seem to want fewer rules with wider interpretations and more lenient enforcement.

I just want my ice-cream!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 8:28 am

Fnord wrote:

And don't skimp on the choc chips.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2020, 9:10 am

maycontainthunder wrote:
Fnord wrote:

caramel sauce with mine, please!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2020, 9:12 am

blazingstar wrote:
maycontainthunder wrote:
Fnord wrote:
caramel sauce with mine, please!

If we're here to make wishes, I would like 9 hours of high quality sleep, please!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>