Page 140 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 162  Next

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:22 am

You're a trooper, Enviro.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:24 am

I hope Bender stays, too.

WP is many things—but I wouldn’t agree that it’s anti-autistic.

WP has to do a better job in many ways—but it has a solid foundation in many ways. I have to do a better job.

Americans are definitely not the only members here. I haven’t heard much about the political issues of the many other places which the membership of WP represents. I would enjoy reading about what’s going on in the world away from the US.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:25 am

We had a member here named Super Trouper once.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Aug 2020, 10:29 am

Thanks Wolfram. You're a strong metallic guy too. :wtg:

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:32 am

Thank you for the kind words and PMs, guys and girls.

envirozentinel wrote:
Bender's been here 8 years - I hope he will rethink and give WP another chance. This is a place of dialogue. Misunderstandings have occurred and several of us have made mistakes and/or errors of judgment. Even Alex makes mistakes - no one this side of Mount Olympus doesn't. We do try to observe the rules fairly without becoming overzealous, and rely on PMs to sort out many things behind the scenes. This is a time of change and transformation, hopefully for the better with the appointment of fresh extra mods who can see things from a different perspective, and lighten the load of just three active ones who sometimes get jaded. We value the members who make an effort to keep this place a great place to be.

When there are disagreements we must reach out and engage in dialogue, bot challenge one another to a duel.

The time for empty reassurance has run out as it has been used too often in the past.

I will gladly give WP another chance when those who made this thread necessary take responsibility and make reparations or at least step down and allow those who have the knowledge and willingness a chance to fix things.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We had a member here named Super Trouper once.

ABBA reference. I call cultural appropriation!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:40 am

blazingstar wrote:
In the beginning, so many threads were about Fnord. Some of us, including myself, tried to remind people that were Fnord to be banned or disappeared, the group would have to find someone or something else to argue about.

This is in fact, what happened. It went from zealous fnord bashing to zealous sly supporting. And this included criticism of anyone who saw it differently. Does anyone else see the pattern here?

Yes. Drama, drama, drama. Like us all soldiering on together with the +1 thing, though I get people (me included) needed to do something like that to make a point.

I was very disappointed by Walrus's shaming response, but he obviously has a massive blindspot. In Walrus's eyes we really are "white supremist" and/or "racist". Maybe we just need a different mod who won't shut down discussion with essentially a politically correct form of name-calling. Alex appeared to have a blindspot too, but then he took a step back and asked everyone what they wanted, and people have kind of snapped at him. Rather than people leaving, I think people should tell Alex now what they want.

It feels like the heros of the movie have done their battles and are now leaving the wrecked world behind them. I think people should stay and talk it out.

Last edited by smudge on 24 Aug 2020, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Aug 2020, 10:42 am

^Great music that I grew up with. All of it!

my blog:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:45 am

Deleted.

Last edited by smudge on 24 Aug 2020, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:47 am

I would like to remind people that what goes on in PPR and especially this thread is not reflective of what goes on in the remainder of Wrong Planet.

The personal attacks, guesses about motivations, pejorative descriptions of other WP members by everybody be they members, moderators, or the site owner needs to stop ASAP. If it does not it this thread should be treated like any other and locked.

I have been guilty of going off topic in this thread. With the Nazi/Holocaust joke posts. I was trying to demonstrate to Alex why I disagree that all uses of slurs are not racist/bigotry/hate speech but I got carried away for which I apologize. The WP membership in general is more “fragile” for lack of a better term then most and with good reason, we have to always try and take that into consideration. OTOH some members have apparently developed a “crude” sense of humor to deal with all the othering in their lives.

In this post I have been critical of Alex. A lot of people have been more harshly critical of him them me. That is not our right but a privilege granted by Alex to us.

The long overdue process of adding new mods has begun. I would advise waiting six months to a year to see how it goes before quitting.

As part of this examination of where WP is at and where it is going the rules should be looked and adjusted to see if they accurately reflect the changing times and membership.

With the above in mind I would like to know if the use of actual slur words instead of euphemisms in certain contexts is permitted under WP rules or is considered banned hate speech under the rules.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:48 am

blazingstar wrote:
In the beginning, so many threads were about Fnord.  Some of us, including myself, tried to remind people that were Fnord to be banned or disappeared, the group would have to find someone or something else to argue about.

This is in fact, what happened.  It went from zealous Fnord bashing to zealous Sly supporting.  And this included criticism of anyone who saw it differently.  Does anyone else see the pattern here?
Yes, definitely!

I notice the difference within a day of both changing my avatar and dis-engaging from all of the unhappy people on this website -- once they no longer received the attention they craved, the bashing stopped.

Coincidence?  I think not.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:51 am

smudge wrote:
Can people here have a vote for mods they want out?
What do you think this website is, a democracy?

:lol:

No, It's a benevolent dictatorship run by benevolent oligarchs.

If people don't like the way WrongPlanet is run, then why do they stay?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:56 am

Fnord wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
In the beginning, so many threads were about Fnord.  Some of us, including myself, tried to remind people that were Fnord to be banned or disappeared, the group would have to find someone or something else to argue about.

This is in fact, what happened.  It went from zealous Fnord bashing to zealous Sly supporting.  And this included criticism of anyone who saw it differently.  Does anyone else see the pattern here?
Yes, definitely!

I notice the difference within a day of both changing my avatar and dis-engaging from all of the unhappy people on this website -- once they no longer received the attention they craved, the bashing stopped.

Coincidence?  I think not.

Sad but very possibly true , but your previous avatar did have character , maybe not as colourful of a picture
But being sci fi oriented , it did stimulate my older interests . Hang in there fnord

where ever you go ,there you are

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 10:57 am

Fnord wrote:
They don't. Haven't you been paying attention?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Aug 2020, 10:58 am

Fnord wrote:
smudge wrote:
Can people here have a vote for mods they want out?
What do you think this website is, a democracy?

:lol:

No, It's a benevolent dictatorship run by benevolent oligarchs.

It's definitely not a plutocracy.

my blog:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:02 am

Deleted.

Last edited by smudge on 24 Aug 2020, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.