Page 141 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 162  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:06 am

Steve1963 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If people don't like the way WrongPlanet is run, then why do they stay?
They don't. Haven't you been paying attention?
Oh, I do see that ... good people who try to do good eventually get fed up and quit, while many of those who stay seem to make their every post a complaint about one thing or another -- why don't they leave, too?  Maybe then those good people I mentioned will come back.

As for the rest of us, well ... I, for one, have hope for a better future, but have little or no ability to effect changes -- only Alex and the Mod Squad seem capable, and even they have their limits.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Aug 2020, 11:07 am

smudge wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
In the beginning, so many threads were about Fnord. Some of us, including myself, tried to remind people that were Fnord to be banned or disappeared, the group would have to find someone or something else to argue about.

This is in fact, what happened. It went from zealous fnord bashing to zealous sly supporting. And this included criticism of anyone who saw it differently. Does anyone else see the pattern here?

Yes. Drama, drama, drama. Like us all soldiering on together with the +1 thing, though I get people (me included) needed to do something like that to make a point.

I was very disappointed by Walrus's shaming response, but he obviously has a massive blindspot. In Walrus's eyes we really are "white supremist" and/or "racist". Maybe we just need a different mod who won't shut down discussion with essentially a politically correct form of name-calling. Alex appeared to have a blindspot too, but then he took a step back and asked everyone what they wanted, and people have kind of snapped at him. Rather than people leaving, I think people should tell Alex now what they want.

It feels like the heros of the movie have done their battles and are now leaving the wrecked world behind them. I think people should stay and talk it out.

Again, that isn’t remotely what I said. What I said was that I wish we could treat everyone with kindness. Unfortunately there are users here who rush to defend comments that could reasonably be construed as racist, while rushing to condemn anyone who makes post critical of racist sentiments. Some users have even engaged in emotional blackmail to attempt to get others to leave the site, and one or two have gone so far as to emotionally blackmail the moderators into banning users they dislike.

If you or any other individual isn’t engaging in the bullying or emotional blackmail then that’s fine. No problem with you. But I’m a moderator - my job is to stop people from bullying each other. Remaining silent was not an option. I had hoped to inspire some mutual soul-searching and maybe people would be nice to all of our black sheep, rather than just one of them.

I’ve said on several occasions - we have one user here who is a deliberate, knowing, ideological white supremacist (although I think he would call himself a “Eurosupremacist and believer in human biodiversity” or something like that). He hasn’t participated in this thread as far as I am aware. And as long as he doesn’t actually start making explicitly racist statements then he’s welcome to stay.

As I said - standing up for someone who made a clumsy remark is a good thing. But when some remarks are defended and others are used to bash and bully, that’s not acceptable. If you’re not doing that then great! But some people, and therefore the community as a whole, absolutely are, and that’s not acceptable.

The role of a moderator isn’t to be popular, it’s to stop people breaking the rules. When people start bullying an unpopular user then I can’t just shrug and say they deserved it. There are so many kind-hearted people here, but if someone isn’t in the cool kids clique then the kindness is cut off, and that’s really sad.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:09 am

envirozentinel wrote:
and I’m being labeled as some sort of radical liberal just because I’m also against racism.

But it's not just because of him being against racism. Who here is in favour of racism? No one. He's being treated like he's part of the american crazy-leftists (and keep in mind I'm from Sweden, I'm probably further left than most of them, but also mostly sane) because he approaches racism the same way they do: like it's an evil version of the Force crossed with Catholic original sin, but also unconscious and invisible, malicious and destructive and above all inevitable, but at the same time worthy of the nuclear option wherever it's spotted in the wild. We are all racists (by their metrics), and we must also beat the racists back wherever we find them. We do not have the option not to be racists, doubly so if we're white, and if we're racists (which we must be), bad things should be done to us. If we're a bit miffed by this idea, we're not supposed to be angry, but rather inquire humbly how we can not be this thing that we have no option not to be. Also, we're supposed to accept on someone elses authority what our "true" feelings and motivations are because they're allegedly "unconscious", and from there actively choose against what our supposed bias is supposed to be. Can you see how this is somewhat convoluted and absurd?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:09 am

smudge wrote:
People need to be more frank in what they want. If a mod is taking over, there's tact involved, yes (which I lack), but people need to speak up, here in this thread. Not via PMs.
This is exactly the opposite of what has been advised.  Speaking up ... no, let's call it what it is ... Complaining only serves to embarrass people and get them angry, then someone becomes the target of a s***storm and no one is happy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:11 am

3 choices to silence me

Alex retracts his statement and apologises
Alex says he wont retract or apologise
Ban Me

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:13 am

Fnord wrote:
Oh, I do see that ... ..... I mentioned will come back.[/color]

I like your style Fnord, but this post is going to upset some people. Maybe delete it? We gotta stop talking in generalized language where anyone can fill themselves into the shoes and get upset if we're going to make any progress and restore peace.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:13 am

Walrus, I'm really sorry I targeted you. I'm going to send you a PM.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:18 am

Feyokien wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Oh, I do see that ... good people who try to do good eventually get fed up and quit, while many of those who stay seem to make their every post a complaint about one thing or another -- why don't they leave, too? Maybe then those good people I mentioned will come back.

As for the rest of us, well ... I, for one, have hope for a better future, but have little or no ability to effect changes -- only Alex and the Mod Squad seem capable, and even they have their limits.
I like your style Fnord, but this post is going to upset some people. Maybe delete it? We gotta stop talking in generalized language where anyone can fill themselves into the shoes and get upset if we're going to make any progress and restore peace.
Naah ... Imma let it stand in its entirety.  If it means some people see themselves, get upset, and then I have to endure another s***storm, then so be it.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:19 am

Fnord: *sips lizard-tea and waits*

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:20 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Yep, nothing like a cuppa good Earl Grey Gekko to make the day go down easier!

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Oh, I do see that ... good people who try to do good eventually get fed up and quit, while many of those who stay seem to make their every post a complaint about one thing or another -- why don't they leave, too? Maybe then those good people I mentioned will come back.

Naah ... Imma let it stand in its entirety.  If it means some people see themselves, get upset, and then I have to endure another s***storm, then so be it.

Alrighty then. :|

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:26 am

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Yep, nothing like a good Earl Grey Gekko to make the day go down easier!

Earl Grey ? :eew: That's like drinking cheap perfume.... ahem..... I imagine :jester:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:28 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Yep, nothing like a good Earl Grey Gekko to make the day go down easier!
Earl Grey ? That's like drinking cheap perfume.... ahem..... I imagine....
I've had worse ...

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:29 am

I'm personally a fan of the 1907 at the Empress, but alas I was only there for a few days

Last edited by Feyokien on 24 Aug 2020, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:31 am

Partial to a cup of Lapsang Souchong every now and then.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:34 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Partial to a cup of Lapsang Souchong every now and then.
Had it once, liked it, and haven't been able to find it in any of the Asian specialty stores around here.