Page 119 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 162  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 4:22 am

Teach51 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Just typing "[youtube]" and finishing with "[/youtube]" with the URL inbetween works.

What would I do without you you adorable, sword loving creature you. How about pics?

[youtube] https://youtube/pnkrVK-oCRs [/youtube]

Actually my lover is an accomplished fencer and won a scholarship to an American university by merit of his swordsmanship :D

The / only goes on the tag to close the tags, the second/terminal one.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 4:31 am

Teach51 wrote:
What would I do without you you adorable, sword loving creature you. How about pics?

Languish in the melancholic miasma that is a lack of linked youtube videos? :)

And images is the same thing, but with [img] instead of [youtube]. It seems the shorthand-button for that still exists in the top left corner.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 4:41 am

Pepe wrote:
alex wrote:

Now with that said, if the discussions on PP&R are causing a major issue on the site, we need to figure out how to prevent that from infecting discussions where it has no place. Perhaps we could just make it pretty clear that you can't discuss politics outside of the ppr forum in any way and make that strictly enforced.

That is a start.

Teach51 wrote:
PPR should require "isolation" from the other forums just like Covid19 requires serious isolation measures, for the benefit of those of us who are not yet immune to toxic, combative political debate. :D

:mrgreen:

An off topic option shows up when you click the “Report” icon. I have used it successfully on occasion. I have also been guilty of going off topic far too often, including in this thread.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 4:44 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

And images is the same thing, but with [img] instead of [youtube]. It seems the shorthand-button for that still exists in the top left corner.

A totally melancholic miasma thingy? miserable wasteland. You can't use words I don't know, I am an English teacher, it's embarrassing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 4:55 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Now, however, the terms "racist", "bigot", "facist", "white supremecist", "nazi", "alt-right", etc. are being used in the same way (and with the same "stain" they apply to their target) as "communist" was back then, to silence those with whom people disagree with (or their opinions) regardless of the appropriatness of the accusation, and with no justification for their use being required. And as none of them (as far as I can tell) contain "derogatory" in their definition, there is apparently nothing wrong with throwing them around at anyone a person on the site disagrees with (see second quote above).

The problem is that those terms aren't used to silence discussion, they're used to describe views that would meet the definition. If someone is advocating for a position that would make the interests of PoC inferior to those of others, it's not unfair to describe that position as white supremacist. Trying to force moderation to ban the use of terms you don't like because muzzling your opponents will make it harder for them to argue their positions is the actual attempt at silencing.

If it is a specific position I do not perceive any rule violation. People are free to disagree. Same thing when describing public figures.

It gets a little tricky when labeling groups as pejoratives. If you write “All conservatives would get rid of blacks if they could” that is a clear rule violation. But what if the definition of the group is a pejorative such a “Nazi” or “SJW”?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:03 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Oh dear I wonder if Alex plans on keeping it that way. Most of us on the spectrum don't like needless changes and only fix what needs improving!

I think it is here to stay.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:12 am

alex wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=388536

Is this the thread that has everyone so riled up?

I hadn't seen that but it does appear pretty damning. I also looked through sly's history and just scrolling through the first few pages, saw he even used the N word in this thread (although misspelled so it slipped through the filters).

This is pretty damning and now I feel sort of silly for engaging with him when it's pretty evident that there's no question that he's racist. And this is not an insult, I'm just saying that when you're not black, using the N word is generally universally seen as racist.

While I am not going to describe members of WP as racist, in the America of 2020 if someone is perceived as racist their career is at risk and they are at risk of harassment. So while the dictionary definition of racist is non judgmental, and the expanded definition to include power is non judgmental calling someone a racist is generally given and taken as an insult of the highest order. If you are perceived as racist that is most often how you will be defined, all other traits won’t matter. That is not necessarily true for other types of pejoratives such as junkie or robber.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:23 am

Teach51 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

A totally melancholic miasma thingy? miserable wasteland. You can't use words I don't know, I am an English teacher, it's embarrassing.

You're adorable. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:38 am

alex wrote:
I'm going to say that writing out the N word is unequivocally racist.

In a few circumstances I would disagree. If I wrote “Joe Shmoe’s talk show was cancelled when he was caught on tape calling Barack Obama a n****r” I do not think that is a racist sentence. We are autistic and are more often then NT’s more into being literal then using euphemisms. The hypothetical talk show host and real people whose careers were damaged were not literally calling people “The N Word”.

It is your site and if any use of the actual slur is considered racist by WP rules I will abide by them.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:42 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Pop-quiz! What's the title of Dick Gregory's 1964 autobiography?

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:49 am

The option to make parts of your text 'spoilers' which I used to occupy less space with side ramblings that wasnt sure if relevant to others--has gone ! ! If it is still there but changed can somebody point out which button it is?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 5:51 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
alex wrote:
I'm going to say that writing out the N word is unequivocally racist.

In a few circumstances I would disagree. If I wrote “Joe Shmoe’s talk show was cancelled when he was caught on tape calling Barack Obama a n****r” I do not think that is a racist sentence. We are autistic and are more often then NT’s more into being literal then using euphemisms. The hypothetical talk show host and real people whose careers were damaged were not literally calling people “The N Word”.

It is your site and if any use of the actual slur is considered racist by WP rules I will abide by them.

You're referring to quoting, for instance from a news article where someone may have used such a word, perhaps on air and been fired. I would say that in such circumstances, if calling out the person concerned, it would be in order within the context that it's unacceptable and pure racism to use it. Here in South Africa we also have a number of words which are no longer acceptable as they dehumanize people's dignity.

"blooie: I'll take a look see. Wolfram might be able to help with that as he seems very tech savvy!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:54 am

Do not have this option sir... :ninja: oh he deleted..i mean the members only thing

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 5:54 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Wolfram might be able to help with that as he seems very tech savvy!

*laughs in barely has opposable thumbs*

The member only thing is something that happened when you type in "[Hidden]".

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 6:22 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Oh dear I wonder if Alex plans on keeping it that way. Most of us on the spectrum don't like needless changes and only fix what needs improving!
I hope not. The new toolbar is making me sad. :cry:

And would you people stop posting 20 pages while I'm asleep? I've got things to do in the morning besides trying to catch up! :)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 6:38 am

League_Girl wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
And this is a small sample of what has been permitted (either through leaving it when reported, or allowing a precedent through other posts that were ignored (even worse is when a moderator is a part of the thread and doesn't see the issue themself and act accordingly on it, instead needing it to be "reported" and then maybe acted on), leading to it becoming "normalized").
We don't moderate threads we have participated in (the mod attention thread being an exception because we've all been there, and it's not political or similarly hot topic).

Why don't you guys moderate threads you participate in?
It could be seen as a conflict of interests.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765