Page 137 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 162  Next

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:20 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Please stick around, Ferris.
Yeah...stick around. Please.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Aug 2020, 8:21 am

Teach51 wrote:
magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
We Jewish people are always the first to laugh at ourselves. This lightens up the dark times. It is a different story altogether if someone else laughs at us though. I think that is what Magz means.

Do you know what makes the difference between a Jewish joke and an antisemitic joke?

I can tell you a Jewish joke and maybe you can work it out. I think the difference is in the thousands of years of heritage.

Mrs Cohen is in court finalizing her divorce from Mr Cohen.

The judge proclaims that
Mrs. Cohen is a free woman and legally divorced.

Not yet, says Mrs. Cohen, I have to get my Gett from the Jewish Rabbinical Court. Not so fast!

Gett? What is that? Asks the judge.

Well, replies Mrs Cohen. Have you heard of a Bris?
Yes, replied the Judge, it is a circumcision, am I correct?

Yes says Mrs Cohen. Well a Gett is when you get rid of the whole shmuck.

Maybe Jewish humour is only appreciated by Jewish people?

Actually, "what makes the difference between a Jewish joke and an antisemitic joke?" is a running joke in Poland.
The correct answer is: "the person who tells it" :twisted:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:22 am

Teach51 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
O dear I get it now, Teach. 8O
Yes? A shmuck is a loser in Yiddish :)
Actually, bubbeleh, it is a Yiddisheh word for penis.  So is the word 'putz'.

Calling someone a 'putz' or a 'schmuck' is the same as calling someone a d*ck or a pr*ck.

So when the character Dark Helmet (played by Rick Moranis) from Spaceballs told someone to "Go to the golf course and work on your putts", he was not referring to a golfer's greens-game.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:23 am

Another one.

Woman urgently: Is there a doctor in the house is there a doctor in the house ???

Yes madam I am a doctor!

Woman: Oy doctor!! Have I got a daughter for you!

:D

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:24 am

If everyone would please take a deep breath. I am going to post my observations and it will probably alienate everyone. These are just my humble opinions. The use of the word "you" in this post is the editorial you, not any specific you.

So much of what is taking place on this thread, while interesting and probably productive in its own way, is not applicable to developing the preferable tone that we want for WP.

In the beginning, so many threads were about Fnord. Some of us, including myself, tried to remind people that were Fnord to be banned or disappeared, the group would have to find someone or something else to argue about.

This is in fact, what happened. It went from zealous fnord bashing to zealous sly supporting. And this included criticism of anyone who saw it differently. Does anyone else see the pattern here?

Those of you engaged in the emotional repartee, do you really think that others could express their own opinion, nuance, consideration in light of your posts?

As in most of life, especially aspie life, there are opinions and mind sets that are different from yours. How many people can you think of who contribute regularly and productively to the fora and are NOT participating here. I don't know why, but it could be they don't want to be jumped on for having a different opinion or experience.

I observe that funeral has not had his concerns heard. I respect that. Regardless of how clear it may be to others, he needs to have his concerns heard and addressed and not just be blown off. Countless people are running to protect one member and ignoring the concerns of another. (and we are protecting the white member and dismissing the nonwhite member????? Just an observation) Everyone has said they want the rules to be understood and respected by all. This means the people you disagree with also. All this talk about respecting others and their points of view just goes out the window when we get upset about something.

The problem is that no one can understand another's point of view entirely. That is why we have to listen carefully and think hard about what someone is saying.

I also see some emotional dumping on Alex. I understand why. In many ways, he has failed this community he started, but no longer tends to. That said, he is also an aspie. As someone else pointed out, he is now living in a community where the discussions on many topics are liberal and understood. Has he posted some things he should have thought about more? Yes. But why are we not showing him how to make it different?

Here is where people are really going to get upset. I don't know what actions Alex took against Sly and the actions may have been entirely wrong...but...Alex is correct in the way we white people use language, (he posted why,) thinking it is not a tribal problem (thank you, Pepe), when it is institutionalized. Institutionalized means, by definition, that we can't see it. We on WP don't need to understand why sly's post was extremely offensive, if we don't understand the new levels of understanding that are going on in America regarding race. The post was offensive to black people in America and in an ideal world, someone would explain to him why it was offensive.

And while Alex may have "ruined" the discussion here, what his actions (unintentionally) did was expose once again, the problems we as autists have relating to each other.

That said, Amity and Tem are correct that we need to move forward. Some "wrongs" will not be righted at this point. But we still need to set them aside and try to put in place something that will be of assistance.

Alex, you have had several suggestions made toward improving the site and I suggest that you acknowledge them and implement them.

Everyone else, please stop the histrionics. Going on the warpath about issues does not help if we are working on having a community. Having a community means you don't always get what you want.

It means, for all of us, accepting and loving each of us as the individual we are. No one is perfect. People make mistakes. I personally make a lot of mistakes. I really do love every person in this thread and I appreciate so much of what each of you has to offer. Even when you disagree with me.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Aug 2020, 8:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The russians have a proverb that I wont try to recreate verbatim, but its something along the lines of "if a man does not laugh at the circus, he has been in the army". The idea being that in the russian army they have to deal with so much hardship with equal levels of humour, so the circus doesn't measure up anymore.
... or that the Russian army is really the Greatest Show On Earth!*

*With apologies to former employees of the Ringling Brothers / Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Everyone on Earth fears the Russian Army but the ones who fear it the most are Russian males aged 18-45.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:26 am

Fnord wrote:
So when the character Dark Helmet (played by Rick Moranis) from Spaceballs told someone to "Go to the golf course and work on your putts", he was not referring to a golfer's greens-game.[/color]

Need to watch that again now 8)

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:27 am

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
O dear I get it now, Teach. 8O
Yes? A shmuck is a loser in Yiddish :)
Actually, bubbeleh, it is a Yiddisheh word for penis.  So is the word 'putz'.

Calling someone a 'putz' or a 'schmuck' is the same as calling someone a d*ck or a pr*ck.

So when the character Dark Helmet (played by Rick Moranis) from Spaceballs told someone to "Go to the golf course and work on your putts", he was not referring to a golfer's greens-game.

Lol I suppose it is in the literal sense. That would make the joke more logical too lol. I realise now that I call too many men "penises" inadvertently.

Last edited by Teach51 on 24 Aug 2020, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:27 am

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The russians have a proverb that I wont try to recreate verbatim, but its something along the lines of "if a man does not laugh at the circus, he has been in the army". The idea being that in the russian army they have to deal with so much hardship with equal levels of humour, so the circus doesn't measure up anymore.

*With apologies to former employees of the Ringling Brothers / Barnum & Bailey Circus.

...also possible.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:35 am

A Jewish man decides his son isn't religious enough, so he pays for him to go visit Israel.  When his son comes back, however, he says he's now a Christian.

Exasperated, the man goes to his friend for advice, but his friend says, "That's funny, I sent my son to Israel last year and when he came back, he also said he was Christian."

The two men decide to speak to their rabbi about this, but when they explain the situation the rabbi says, "That's funny, two years ago I sent my son to Israel, and he also came back a Christian."

The three men decide only G^D can have the answer, so they pray.  The rabbi says aloud "Adonai, all three of us sent our sons to Israel, and all of them came back Christian."

A voice of doom and thunder booms down from the heavens, "That's funny…"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:37 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

...also possible.

this has to be the best!! !!

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:44 am

Fnord wrote:
A Jewish man decides his son isn't religious enough, so he pays for him to go visit Israel.  When his son comes back, however, he says he's now a Christian.

Exasperated, the man goes to his friend for advice, but his friend says, "That's funny, I sent my son to Israel last year and when he came back, he also said he was Christian."

The two men decide to speak to their rabbi about this, but when they explain the situation the rabbi says, "That's funny, two years ago I sent my son to Israel, and he also came back a Christian."

The three men decide only G^D can have the answer, so they pray.  The rabbi says aloud "Adonai, all three of us sent our sons to Israel, and all of them came back Christian."

A voice of doom and thunder booms down from the heavens, "That's funny…"

God truly has a sense of humour.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 Aug 2020, 8:46 am

blazingstar wrote:
If everyone would please take a deep breath. I am going to post my observations and it will probably alienate everyone. These are just my humble opinions. The use of the word "you" in this post is the editorial you, not any specific you.

So much of what is taking place on this thread, while interesting and probably productive in its own way, is not applicable to developing the preferable tone that we want for WP.

In the beginning, so many threads were about Fnord. Some of us, including myself, tried to remind people that were Fnord to be banned or disappeared, the group would have to find someone or something else to argue about.

This is in fact, what happened. It went from zealous fnord bashing to zealous sly supporting. And this included criticism of anyone who saw it differently. Does anyone else see the pattern here?

Those of you engaged in the emotional repartee, do you really think that others could express their own opinion, nuance, consideration in light of your posts?

As in most of life, especially aspie life, there are opinions and mind sets that are different from yours. How many people can you think of who contribute regularly and productively to the fora and are NOT participating here. I don't know why, but it could be they don't want to be jumped on for having a different opinion or experience.

I observe that funeral has not had his concerns heard. I respect that. Regardless of how clear it may be to others, he needs to have his concerns heard and addressed and not just be blown off. Countless people are running to protect one member and ignoring the concerns of another. (and we are protecting the white member and dismissing the nonwhite member????? Just an observation) Everyone has said they want the rules to be understood and respected by all. This means the people you disagree with also. All this talk about respecting others and their points of view just goes out the window when we get upset about something.

The problem is that no one can understand another's point of view entirely. That is why we have to listen carefully and think hard about what someone is saying.

I also see some emotional dumping on Alex. I understand why. In many ways, he has failed this community he started, but no longer tends to. That said, he is also an aspie. As someone else pointed out, he is now living in a community where the discussions on many topics are liberal and understood. Has he posted some things he should have thought about more? Yes. But why are we not showing him how to make it different?

Here is where people are really going to get upset. I don't know what actions Alex took against Sly and the actions may have been entirely wrong...but...Alex is correct in the way we white people use language, (he posted why,) thinking it is not a tribal problem (thank you, Pepe), when it is institutionalized. Institutionalized means, by definition, that we can't see it. We on WP don't need to understand why sly's post was extremely offensive, if we don't understand the new levels of understanding that are going on in America regarding race. The post was offensive to black people in America and in an ideal world, someone would explain to him why it was offensive.

And while Alex may have "ruined" the discussion here, what his actions (unintentionally) did was expose once again, the problems we as autists have relating to each other.

That said, Amity and Tem are correct that we need to move forward. Some "wrongs" will not be righted at this point. But we still need to set them aside and try to put in place something that will be of assistance.

Alex, you have had several suggestions made toward improving the site and I suggest that you acknowledge them and implement them.

Everyone else, please stop the histrionics. Going on the warpath about issues does not help if we are working on having a community. Having a community means you don't always get what you want.

It means, for all of us, accepting and loving each of us as the individual we are. No one is perfect. People make mistakes. I personally make a lot of mistakes. I really do love every person in this thread and I appreciate so much of what each of you has to offer. Even when you disagree with me.
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank you for bringing this perspective in.
As I expressed in another thread, I believe there is no villain to kill in this story. Very strong triggers - racial inequality in the US and a person experiencing a mental breakdown - collided, making constructive discussion extremely hard. I genuinely believe that if the special treatment rule for The Haven was consistently and immediately applied, the escalation wouldn't have reached this point.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:48 am

I'm thinking I should start a religion about that Jewish guy who went around trying to help poor people but was killed because he was betrayed by one of his former close allies.

I'm calling it Trotskyism.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:49 am

Teach51 wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

...also possible.

this has to be the best!! ! !

I prefer this version of the song:

I feel sorry for the people who joined the "call" when he did "wrecking ball"...

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 8:50 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

Everyone on Earth fears the Russian Army but the ones who fear it the most are Russian males aged 18-45.

I had a student who was an officer in the Russian army. He told me that his unit would get leave very rarely. He was on a mission where they had to dig a pipeline in Siberia. Four of his fellow soldiers froze to death and nobody in command was disturbed.