Page 142 of 162 [ 2587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 162  Next

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:35 am

Feyokien wrote:

Alrighty then. :|

Fey meet Fnord

Fnord meet Fey :D

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:37 am

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Partial to a cup of Lapsang Souchong every now and then.
Had it once, liked it, and haven't been able to find it in any of the Asian specialty stores around here.

That's odd. In China it's considered a low-tier tea, so it's mostly made for export.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:40 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
Feyokien wrote:

Alrighty then. :|

Fey meet Fnord

Fnord meet Fey :D

:lol: I've read Fnord's stuff for years, and I love most of what he says. He doesn't have to like me though.

I remember earlier Fnord/you talked about about altering Fnord's/your posting style, but Fnord would/you'd want a professional to make suggestions or something like that so I wasn't expecting much luck. :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:42 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Partial to a cup of Lapsang Souchong every now and then.
Had it once, liked it, and haven't been able to find it in any of the Asian specialty stores around here.
That's odd. In China it's considered a low-tier tea, so it's mostly made for export.
I'll keep looking for it, but I'm the only one in my house or office who likes tea, so it is not a high priority.

Hey ... waitaminute ... we went way off-topic and no one has called us out on it!

Is something wrong with the software, or should we start "bashing" each other just to get back on-topic?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:44 am

Fnord wrote:
Hey ... waitaminute ... we went way off-topic and no one has called us out on it!

Is something wrong with the software, or should we start "bashing" each other just to get back on-topic?[/color]

Going off on lighthearted tangents is going to help make the Future of WP better

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:45 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Again, that isn’t remotely what I said. What I said was that I wish we could treat everyone with kindness. Unfortunately there are users here who rush to defend comments that could reasonably be construed as racist, while rushing to condemn anyone who makes post critical of racist sentiments. Some users have even engaged in emotional blackmail to attempt to get others to leave the site, and one or two have gone so far as to emotionally blackmail the moderators into banning users they dislike.

If you or any other individual isn’t engaging in the bullying or emotional blackmail then that’s fine. No problem with you. But I’m a moderator - my job is to stop people from bullying each other. Remaining silent was not an option. I had hoped to inspire some mutual soul-searching and maybe people would be nice to all of our black sheep, rather than just one of them.

I’ve said on several occasions - we have one user here who is a deliberate, knowing, ideological white supremacist (although I think he would call himself a “Eurosupremacist and believer in human biodiversity” or something like that). He hasn’t participated in this thread as far as I am aware. And as long as he doesn’t actually start making explicitly racist statements then he’s welcome to stay.

As I said - standing up for someone who made a clumsy remark is a good thing. But when some remarks are defended and others are used to bash and bully, that’s not acceptable. If you’re not doing that then great! But some people, and therefore the community as a whole, absolutely are, and that’s not acceptable.

The role of a moderator isn’t to be popular, it’s to stop people breaking the rules. When people start bullying an unpopular user then I can’t just shrug and say they deserved it. There are so many kind-hearted people here, but if someone isn’t in the cool kids clique then the kindness is cut off, and that’s really sad.

Maybe you should sort out these issues with "some posters" privately instead of starting this kind of drama in the public forum, which BTW is in your job description to prevent?

For everybody else, as I know how agitated people can get when they read insinuation they don't understand: Nobody emotionally blackmailed me to leave, surprisingly enough I can think and make such decisions for myself and the reasons were clearly stated in my post.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:45 am

Feyokien wrote:
... Fnord would/you'd want a professional to make suggestions or something like that so I wasn't expecting much luck.
I am already a professional (technical-) writer, so any advice some self-declared "professional" might provide would likely be read, considered, and then summarily discarded.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:46 am

It seems common on this forum to see an avatar and it reminds you of something else or a user name reminds you of something , I will always be a ferret due to this :jester:

And in this good humour I just wanted to share what I see when I look at your avatar Fnord

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:47 am

Fnord, you're a big meanie, you know I know that you know you are, so don't you deny it! Stop saying words that aren't wrapped in bubble-wrap, and start handing out cookies!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:48 am

Fnord wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
... Fnord would/you'd want a professional to make suggestions or something like that so I wasn't expecting much luck.
I am already a professional (technical-) writer, so any advice some self-declared "professional" might provide would likely be read, considered, and then summarily discarded.

Didn't you once tell me anyone acting as their own lawyer has a fool for a client? Seems applicable here. :P

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:48 am

Fnord wrote:
That would explain why you write so damn well.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:50 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Didn't you once tell me anyone acting as their own lawyer has a fool for a client? Seems applicable here.
Ahh ... but I am not on trial here, which renders the analogy stillborn.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:51 am

Alas, poor Analogy. We hardly knew ye.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:53 am

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
It seems common on this forum to see an avatar and it reminds you of something else or a user name reminds you of something , I will always be a ferret due to this :jester:

And in this good humour I just wanted to share what I see when I look at your avatar Fnord

Too funny!!

But I'm not using it as my avatar, you weaselly weasel, you!

:D :D :D :D :D I rate it at five "laughies"!

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:54 am

Feyokien wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Is something wrong with the software, or should we start "bashing" each other just to get back on-topic?[/color]

Going off on lighthearted tangents is going to help make the Future of WP better

I've always liked that people aren't anal around here about staying on topic. That doesn't mean it doesn't sometimes still need to be said, but it creates a more chilled atmosphere.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 11:56 am

Drake wrote:
I've always liked that people aren't anal ...
Do you mean "Anal Retentive", "Anal Expressive", or "Analytical"?