Page 16 of 18 [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:11 pm

Teach51 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I vote for the Redhead! 8)

The Redhead is in the Administrator's doghouse Kraftie, in trouble again for not shutting up. :D

You got another warning?

No :D One did the trick. I do frequently get into hot water for sticking to my principles, that was my meaning.

You have principles?
Big mistake. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

It's all coming together! Welcome Cornflake! :P

Never met the person, to my knowledge. :scratch:
Does he/she have a sense of humor?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:14 pm

alex wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Warnings should be the same for anyone. Like Teach said, they should be rendered in an adult and respectful manner.

Magz is a person of high objectivity. She will see to it that reforms are implemented.

I feel like Teach would be an objective Mod, too.

I feel like Alex will choose people of varying ideologies and from various parts of the world, reflective of the membership here.

I like Teach51 a lot, but shouldn't all the mods be on the spectrum?

I think as far as moderators go, we've had NT moderators in the past and I think a lot of members who are autistic feel like they're yet again being attacked by NTs like they have all their life.

I realize that's not a rational response but it is understandable given the trauma a lot of us have from authority figures who were neurotypical.

With that said, I don't think an NT would make a bad mod from a the POV of how they would approach the job. Just something to consider. . .

I remember DW a Mom as mod, she did good explaining things clearly to me. I felt sad when she stepped down from her position.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:18 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
I didn't think Cornflake was a good mod.

A common flaw of the old mods, like my experience with Cornflake, is they appear to try and appease anyone complaining without finding a rule violation.

I believe Cornflake was attending college, so I mistook his actions as a busy college student.

"Oh he's so busy, he doesn't have time to figure out if a rule was violated".

Another flaw of the old mods, like my experience with Cornflake, is they don't always send you a PM that something was wrong.

They will delete or move your posts based on a complaint (not a rule violation) and not even tell you.

<Pepe makes some distance between himself and TheRobotLives> :mrgreen:

TheRobotLives wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
I didn't think Cornflake was a good mod...
I thought he was, and (apparently) so did Alex.

With recent topics about how this site is "bleeding members", it's probably good to have an honest discussion and not get defensive like you appear to be doing by speaking for another person.

No comment. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2020, 6:31 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
1) If mods make an enforcement action against you, do they have to inform you what rule was violated?
2) Do mods have to send you a PM if they edit/delete/move your post (even if they don't make an enforcement action against you)?

My experience on this site is that mods can make anonymous changes to your posts.

Can you see how members might get very angry with anonymous mod changes to their content, and no clear explanation as to what they did wrong?

This is a concern of mine.
If someone's post has been edited, it *should* be noted as such.
If the edit has *added* something, (not that I can ever remember this happening), this would corrupt what the original poster, errr, posted, and is forever and a day on the internet.

So, to be clear, do mods/admins ever *change* the content of a post?
Or is it simply a deletion?

Regardless, it should be noted if a post has been edited.
If not, a "gaslighting" type situation may arise, causing doubt in the minds of vulnerable people who may have a tentative grasp on reality. 8)

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2020, 1:15 am

I've deleted "naughty" bits now and then but never edited what someone's trying to say. I might occasionally correct a spelling error. The page that comes up when a mod edits a thread, does ask "reson for editing" but I don't think the reason ever actually shows up in the post, only on the mod logs.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 1:26 am

envirozentinel wrote:
I've deleted "naughty" bits now and then but never edited what someone's trying to say. I might occasionally correct a spelling error. The page that comes up when a mod edits a thread, does ask "reson for editing" but I don't think the reason ever actually shows up in the post, only on the mod logs.

Do edited posts end up with an "edited by XYZ" attached to them, or do they appear with no indication of alterations having been made?

Without this addition, it is possible that the edits may alter the post in ways which do not reflect the poster's intention, and so lead to misunderstandings, as well as giving the impression the poster was trying to hide something, when they are not even aware of the change.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2020, 1:36 am

Brictoria wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Do edited posts end up with an "edited by XYZ" attached to them, or do they appear with no indication of alterations having been made?

Without this addition, it is possible that the edits may alter the post in ways which do not reflect the poster's intention, and so lead to misunderstandings, as well as giving the impression the poster was trying to hide something, when they are not even aware of the change.

That will show up in the mod logs, not on the thread page. I think it is better if we PM the person who's post was edited - this is not always done but is a good idea, so they know why it was changed.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 2:47 am

envirozentinel wrote:

I'm pretty sure I have seen reasons why something was edited, by the mods.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 5:22 am

alex wrote:
I'd like to welcome back cornflake as an administrator!

About time we got some Law & Order in cyberspace:

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2020, 6:15 am

alex wrote:
I'd like to welcome back cornflake as an administrator!

That sounds like good news. :D

He was the first mod whose acquaintance I met after joining in the summer of 2014. In a matter of months, there were cataclysmic developments on WP ( does that sound familiar?), and Cornflake, Tallyman and GGP Viper all resigned as moderators within a couple of weeks. I recall that Cornflake was as well known for his administrative skills as for his moderation.

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2020, 1:10 pm

Teach51 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I vote for the Redhead! 8)

The Redhead is in the Administrator's doghouse Kraftie, in trouble again for not shutting up. :D

You got another warning?

No :D One did the trick. I do frequently get into hot water for sticking to my principles, that was my meaning.

Teach: This is just my opinion:
If I were an admin, I would regard your propensity for 'good trouble' as an asset and would try to persuade you to be a mod.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 1:49 pm

I am glad to see when posts get edited, it actually says at the bottom who it was edited by or I wouldn't have known.

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Sep 2020, 1:59 pm

I'm excited to announce that we've added Feyokien as a moderator.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 2:07 pm

Congratulations Feyokien.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 4:34 pm

Excellent news!