Page 1 of 18 [ 278 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Aug 2020, 5:44 am

Hello everyone,

Some of you may be aware that we have been looking for new moderators. In the interests of transparency, here is an update on how things are going.

We have invited expressions of interest from established members and have also been reaching out to potential candidates.Through this process, about ten users have expressed an interest in the role.

In the last few days, Skilpadde, enviro and I have gone through a process of discussing and ranking candidates. We have compiled a shortlist of five candidates. We have also identified a clear leading candidate who we believe would be a very strong moderator.

Today I have submitted that shortlist to Alex, asking him to appoint around three new moderators from the shortlist of five. I have also asked that one of the existing moderators be granted admin privileges so that we can appoint new mods without needing to rely on him.

We will need to give Alex a little while to read the message, evaluate candidates, and then appoint moderators. If however we do not get a timely response, then XFG has given us her account details. We will hand her account over to our leading candidate.

Once our new moderators have bedded in, we would probably look to add another wave in late 2020. The mod team needs to grow. We last successfully appointed a moderator about five years ago and have been looking to bring more on board for at least four, but the appointment of Ferris and feelio was a total fiasco. Not counting those two, we’ve lost six moderators without appointing any - I think getting back to around 10 active mods would be really healthy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 8:38 am

I, for one, welcome our new moderatorial overlords!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 9:30 am

^ seconded

I hope the moderator tool issue/fiasco is fixed

Last edited by Oh_no_its_Ferris on 18 Aug 2020, 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 11:05 am

I can't wait to see who the new mods will be.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 2:41 pm

I would like to be a mod because I spend a lot of time here, but I think I will be too sensitive for the job. If members have a go at me or insult me, I will get upset, because I don't have the mental capability to ignore insults. If I'm insulted, it hurts my ego and ruins my whole day.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 4:16 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I would like to be a mod because I spend a lot of time here, but I think I will be too sensitive for the job. If members have a go at me or insult me, I will get upset, because I don't have the mental capability to ignore insults. If I'm insulted, it hurts my ego and ruins my whole day.

Good news, saying you would like to be a mod disqualifies you from ever being a mod. True story. So you have nothing to worry about. :wink:

Just a hidden rule here. I was here long enough to see Alex himself say it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 4:37 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Good news, saying you would like to be a mod disqualifies you from ever being a mod. True story. So you have nothing to worry about. :wink:

Just a hidden rule here. I was here long enough to see Alex himself say it.

Not anymore, since all the current candidates volunteered for the position :wink:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 5:02 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Good news, saying you would like to be a mod disqualifies you from ever being a mod. True story. So you have nothing to worry about.  Just a hidden rule here. I was here long enough to see Alex himself say it.
Not anymore, since all the current candidates volunteered for the position.
I assume that those who volunteered are aware of this unwritten rule (which is common on social websites).  However, since the mods themselves (at least one, anyway) asked for volunteers, this negates the rule.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 5:08 pm

I never knew about this unwritten rule. Have I just legitimately embarrassed myself? :oops:

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Aug 2020, 5:43 pm

yes please have patience as I look over the candidates. THis is a busy week for me.

Oh_no_its_Ferris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 5:47 pm

^ Pick me :jester:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 6:02 pm

Oh_no_its_Ferris wrote:
^ Pick me :jester:

Seconded, and a third from the cheap seats. ^

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 6:19 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I never knew about this unwritten rule. Have I just legitimately embarrassed myself?
No worries.  I, for one, appreciate your earnest sincerity.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 6:37 pm

Is there any chance for a “moderator election?”

I actually feel ambivalent about this idea.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 11:32 pm

How come everyone else who have said they'd like to be a mod aren't called out on breaking an unwritten rule and humiliated? I only said I would like to be a mod because I spend a lot of time here, it doesn't mean I'm asking to be a mod. Why do I have to be picked on?

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2020, 11:44 pm

Joe90 wrote:
How come everyone else who have said they'd like to be a mod aren't called out on breaking an unwritten rule and humiliated? I only said I would like to be a mod because I spend a lot of time here, it doesn't mean I'm asking to be a mod. Why do I have to be picked on?

I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to pick on you/humiliate you, you don't need to feel embarrassed :). The other person (Ferris) was jokingly asking to be a mod I believe since Alex showed up.

Should be interesting to see who the new mods are.