How we deal with racism and hate speech on Wrong Planet

Page 2 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Aug 2020, 3:14 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I beg of you to reconsider the policy of allowing members to describe other members as racist. Being allowed to say “that is a racist statement” makes it non personal so can is not a personal attack although many will perceive it that way.

I agree with this.

Like you said, Alex, people can exhibit racist behaviour without even realising it. In such an instance, it would appear to me that allowing people to label an unwitting offender as a racist would be more likely to be perceived as a personal attack, and inflame or alienate that individual than to get them to see the error of their ways.

Conversely, I think calling out specific instances of racism instead of labelling an unwitting offender as a racist is more likely to get through to that individual and cause them to reflect on their conduct.

I agree it’s probably way more effective to say that’s racist instead of you’re racist but to outright ban saying you’re racist means someone could say something racist, a Black person could point it out in the “wrong way” and they’d end up getting in trouble. I don’t think that’s right at all.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:28 am

I find it strange how when I have addressed this before, everyone shot me down but now everyone seems to be accepting this now with an open mind. :D

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 3:39 am

alex wrote:
I agree it’s probably way more effective to say that’s racist instead of you’re racist but to outright ban saying you’re racist means someone could say something racist, a Black person could point it out in the “wrong way” and they’d end up getting in trouble. I don’t think that’s right at all.

I don't think this scenario is limited to racism. All the time, we have to deal with people triggered by what others posted and reacting "the wrong way". Often, it stems from miscommunication, not any ill intention.
In such situations, I think the point is not "who should get in trouble" but "how can we help people reconsider what they say".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:42 am

League_Girl wrote:
I find it strange how when I have addressed this before, everyone shot me down but now everyone seems to be accepting this now with an open mind. :D

:D I think circumventing direct speech is not always easy for ASD and direct references come much more easily I have come to understand. When trying to word responses in a politically correct manner sometimes members miss the mark and get into hot water. I often assume I have understood what someone has meant and after clarifying, I realised that I was completely off track. I still think that it would be better to lead in with a clarification;

Did you mean? I understood from your words that......am I correct? Do you think any race is inferior to another?
Just not to leap to hasty conclusions,because we know from experience that the stigma remains whether justly or not. False accusation leaves a very damaging and lasting stain on a persons' character.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:46 am

alex wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I beg of you to reconsider the policy of allowing members to describe other members as racist. Being allowed to say “that is a racist statement” makes it non personal so can is not a personal attack although many will perceive it that way.

I agree with this.

Like you said, Alex, people can exhibit racist behaviour without even realising it. In such an instance, it would appear to me that allowing people to label an unwitting offender as a racist would be more likely to be perceived as a personal attack, and inflame or alienate that individual than to get them to see the error of their ways.

Conversely, I think calling out specific instances of racism instead of labelling an unwitting offender as a racist is more likely to get through to that individual and cause them to reflect on their conduct.

I don't know that calling someone a racist when they've exhibited racist behaviour should be a punishable offence, though I think people should generally be discouraged from calling individuals racist in favour of calling out posts and actions for being racist.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:47 am

magz wrote:
alex wrote:

I don't think this scenario is limited to racism. All the time, we have to deal with people triggered by what others posted and reacting "the wrong way". Often, it stems from miscommunication, not any ill intention.
In such situations, I think the point is not "who should get in trouble" but "how can we help people reconsider what they say".

This is the essence of the problem, it is all in the wording. Calling someone a racist who is not a racist is just as damaging as making a racist comment. This was the meaning of the analogy that Sly used that some people twisted and used against him.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:50 am

Teach51 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

:D I think circumventing direct speech is not always easy for ASD and direct references come much more easily I have come to understand. When trying to word responses in a politically correct manner sometimes members miss the mark and get into hot water. I often assume I have understood what someone has meant and after clarifying, I realised that I was completely off track. I still think that it would be better to lead in with a clarification;

Did you mean? I understood from your words that......am I correct? Do you think any race is inferior to another?
Just not to leap to hasty conclusions,because we know from experience that the stigma remains whether justly or not. False accusation leaves a very damaging and lasting stain on a persons' character.

I mean that when I pointed out about how racism exists in society and how it's not an attack to point out racism to people. I even mentioned white privilege and yes people disagreed about white people being racist.

If calling someone racist is a personal attack, what else shall we call an attack like telling someone "that's rude" or "how mean" but mention the R word, people lose their marbles. Heck I was even given a warning for it too when I wrote a user here was a racist apologist because that user defended that Central park Karen and denied the racial issue existing in society. To be fair, there were plenty of racism apologists in that thread about a woman calling the cops on the bird watching man.

Denying that something was a racial issue is in fact racist itself.

Seems like calling someone a racist here falling under a personal attack seems to be uplifted now, for now.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:53 am

League_Girl wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I mean that when I pointed out about how racism exists in society and how it's not an attack to point out racism to people. I even mentioned white privilege and yes people disagreed about white people being racist.

If calling someone racist is a personal attack, what else shall we call an attack like telling someone "that's rude" or "how mean" but mention the R word, people lose their marbles. Heck I was even given a warning for it too when I wrote a user here was a racist apologist because that user defended that Central park Karen and denied the racial issue existing in society. To be fair, there were plenty of racism apologists in that thread about a woman calling the cops on the bird watching man.

Denying that something was a racial issue is in fact racist itself.

Seems like calling someone a racist here falling under a personal attack seems to be uplifted now, for now.

Yes, but perhaps "I think you are racist" is better than "you are a racist" in the event that there has been a misunderstanding LG?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 3:56 am

Teach51 wrote:
Yes, but perhaps "I think you are racist" is better than "you are a racist" in the event that there has been a misunderstanding LG?

And "what you just said is racist" would be even better.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 3:58 am

In the other thread I denied that my disagreements with FXE was in any way based on him being Native American, so I guess I'm a racist now based on this completely sane and rational reasoning that is in no way Kafkaesque.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:00 am

magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Also, saying " Am I correct in assuming that what you just said is racist" would be perfect NT bs politeness :D :D

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Aug 2020, 4:02 am

magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Right but I don’t think we can police people on the best way to say things especially when it comes to racism. Especially when the victim of the racism is already having to deal with the racism and now they’re going to also be told they’re not addressing it in an ideal way?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:04 am

alex wrote:
magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Right but I don’t think we can police people on the best way to say things especially when it comes to racism. Especially when the victim of the racism is already having to deal with the racism and now they’re going to also be told they’re not addressing it in an ideal way?

I disagree totally here Alex. Being falsely accused and misinterpreted is no lesser sin. Here lies your error imo.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 Aug 2020, 4:05 am

alex wrote:
magz wrote:
Teach51 wrote:

Can we spread this policy to e.g. mental illness? Or does a mentally ill person have to be policed on the best way to present their point of view?

As I previously said, I don't consider it a "who should get in trouble" issue but "how to guide people to better communication".

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:10 am

Alex people are innocent until proven guilty. There are other gross human errors in addition to racism.

if I called you antisemitic because you mentioned the word Jew would I be correct? It was politically correct for me growing up to say the four letter less vile n word.It was used on the news even, nobody said African American, I don't even know what the correct term is today. It is all about intent and not condemning someone for misusing semantics when they are autistic.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 4:15 am

According to people of color, feelings don't matter in this when they call you out on racism. They also say we don't get to decide what is racist. Intentions don't matter, actions do they say.

Many people are focused on intention. I can decide to do something good and only to find out it was as*hole of me to do it. It doesn't matter what my intentions were. For example, I can tell a joke and someone gets hurt and upset. I can defend myself and tell them I was just joking and get defensive and act like a victim like the offended had just bullied me. Or I can toughen up and apologize for my joke and explain my intention and say I did not mean to make them feel bullied and singled out. Rather they accept it or not would be up to them and I can learn to not do jokes next time unless they know me well or how about I leave people out of my humor and refrain from any jokes and only do them with my family who know me well.

Basically this is how people react to the word racist.