Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:18 pm

I keep getting a message when I log out that my password has been exposed here. Anyone else having this problem? Is it site wide or is just me? I'll screenshot it the next time it pops up

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Aug 2020, 12:35 pm

Feyokien wrote:
I keep getting a message when I log out that my password has been exposed here. Anyone else having this problem? Is it site wide or is just me? I'll screenshot it the next time it pops up

I'm not aware of a data breach. Keep in mind that warning will show if your username and password matches one that has been exposed anywhere on the internet. So if you use the same username and password here as you do somewhere else that was breached, it'd still show up here.

With that said, I'd suggest changing your password and keeping different passwords for everything. Use a password manager because otherwise it's impossible to keep track.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm

alex wrote:
I'm not aware of a data breach. Keep in mind that warning will show if your username and password matches one that has been exposed anywhere on the internet. So if you use the same username and password here as you do somewhere else that was breached, it'd still show up here.

With that said, I'd suggest changing your password and keeping different passwords for everything. Use a password manager because otherwise it's impossible to keep track.

Good to know. I've been changing my password. I don't use my username or email here anywhere else so they're unique.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 12:45 pm

Feyokien wrote:

I haven't seen any passwords shown here from any member.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Aug 2020, 1:38 pm

Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:

Good to know. I've been changing my password. I don't use my username or email here anywhere else so they're unique.

oh well that's something I need to look into then. We've had exploits of the software before but it's usually stuff that inserts spam and seems automated, not stuff targeting users.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2020, 1:43 pm

alex wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:

oh well that's something I need to look into then. We've had exploits of the software before but it's usually stuff that inserts spam and seems automated, not stuff targeting users.

A while back people were discussing the dev. version of WP. I visited there to look at what people were talking about and it has me automatically logged in there regardless if I log out. Chrome says that version is unsecured so maybe that's what caused the data breach messages.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Aug 2020, 2:06 pm

Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
alex wrote:

A while back people were discussing the dev. version of WP. I visited there to look at what people were talking about and it has me automatically logged in there regardless if I log out. Chrome says that version is unsecured so maybe that's what caused the data breach messages.

it's possible. . . if you access via http instead of https, someone could intercept that but very unlikely that's the exact reason. either way it probably means your username and password were published somewhere in a one of the many known data breaches that google monitors