Page 7 of 12 [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 8:42 am

Fnord wrote:
Temeraire wrote:
Some just find the boundaries on AF reassuring.
Some people feel the same way about straight-jackets.

Ha indeed :lol: (Unless you are Hannibal Lecter)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 9:19 am

That's not the only reason why I want to leave this site. It's way too PC, you're not allowed your own opinions and you have to mask and tolerate everything. I shouldn't have to mask when I come on to an autism forum to express my thoughts. The PPR is full of way more controversial things than I've ever wrote. I thought Aspies like honesty, well you can't be honest here, I can tell you. I understand personal attacks being forbidden because nobody likes being personally attacked, but just giving your opinion or having a rant about no-one in particular is not a personal attack and should be taken as a matter of opinion. No, this site won't allow that any more.
I've just signed up for AF. I'll see how I get on. Please don't go hunting for me on there then register yourself just so you can carry what's going on here on to there because I just want to move on. I have chosen a different username - one less masculine.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 1:27 pm

You can do both sites.

It's not like we're Ukraine and AF is Russia.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 3:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You can do both sites.

I only wanted to leave this site because I felt some people are against me. But I can't not have a site to go on so I thought of joining a different site. I think I've been here too long and some familiar people still don't know me yet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 3:58 pm

In any website, you might find someone who is "against" you. I'm sorry you feel like people are "against" you. I don't sense that.

I sense it's more like a "family" sort of thing. We can insult each other----but we don't allow people from outside WP to insult us. Like maybe you could insult your boyfriend----but they'll be hell to pay for someone else who insults him.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 3:59 pm

People can disagree about topics without being “against” each other.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:10 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I only wanted to leave this site because I felt some people are against me.
Everybody here seems to have someone against them.  You, me, the mods, the people on the political right . . .

But for every person who may be against you, there are likely a dozen or so more who are definitely with you.

If someone is giving you problems, let the mods know; and because you are a woman, it might be best for you to let Magz know.  She seems to have always been the square deal.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:14 pm

Well I tried AF but I don't like the layout much. The layout here is more specific and easier to navigate.

It's OK, I'll leave my bigoted views for an NT site (non-autism specific) that I use, because they all seem to have the same views, as their attitude is "it's not what you say, it's the way you say it". I go by that attitude too.
I just have to remember more to switch to PC here. I'll try my best.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 8:40 pm

I really wish that you'd stay. WP wouldn't be the same without you.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 1:27 am

Joe90 wrote:
Well I tried AF but I don't like the layout much. The layout here is more specific and easier to navigate

I agree with that 100%.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 1:36 am

Cornflake wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
But I do know that other forums that have been around for a long time, became more advanced than their original format.
phpBB was launched as v1.0 in 2000 so in that respect, it's venerable, widely used, and still well-supported.

I suspect that, rather than adding "me too" Facebook capabilities the concentration is on stability, longevity, with a slower introduction of whizz-bang features that might be seen as frivolous.
But aside from being intrinsically highly configurable it also supports add-ons; there's lively development in that area so theoretically at least, users are free to take it in whatever direction they want.

Unfortunately, not here... :cry:

I was on Usenet exclusively until it died out. So there's a lot of phpBB and whatever forum history I never experienced. The one whiz-bang feature I'd like WP to have is being alerted whenever someone replies to one of my posts, which exists on all other forums I'm on including reddit.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 1:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You can do both sites.

WP is slow enough to stay on no matter what other forums one is a member of.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Aug 2022, 6:27 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I was on Usenet exclusively until it died out. So there's a lot of phpBB and whatever forum history I never experienced.
Ah, Usenet. Happy days... :lol:
Quote:
The one whiz-bang feature I'd like WP to have is being alerted whenever someone replies to one of my posts, which exists on all other forums I'm on including reddit.
Yes, agreed - that would be very useful and save a lot of rummaging around checking for responses.

The nearest available is an alert for the first post made by anyone to a subscribed thread. Subsequent posts generate no alert until the thread has been checked out (ie. any post on it is read) - but this is too broad in scope when you're not bothered about other responses.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 6:45 am

^ uesnet isn’t quite dead - it morphed into googlegroups old posts can still be found there and you can post if you have gmail and you can subscribe. Even if you don’t like gmail you can setup an account for free and set up forwarding.

There are a lot of aspy/asd folks who can code - couldn’t we create a buglist and feature request list on gitlab and patch WP to scratch some itches? I have done some PHP and Javascript coding professionally.

I don’t do email alerts. I do “menu > forums > View Your Posts” seems to work for me.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Aug 2022, 7:15 am

Fenn wrote:
^ uesnet isn’t quite dead - it morphed into googlegroups old posts can still be found there and you can post if you have gmail and you can subscribe. Even if you don’t like gmail you can setup an account for free and set up forwarding.
Yep, I used a few of those for a while.

Quote:
There are a lot of aspy/asd folks who can code - couldn’t we create a buglist and feature request list on gitlab and patch WP to scratch some itches?
That requires developer access directly to the server's codebase; currently only Alex has those privileges.
During the upgrade in 2014 from the truly ancient version of phpBB to the old current version a buglist was maintained - sadly, we received no feedback and AFAIK it was ignored.

There's also an issue with tweaking a live system and the danger of bringing it all down in flames - or worse, trashing the databases. So a "ghost" site should be set up on which to experiment (as was done in 2014) but again, there are server access issues and possibly, additional hosting costs to consider.

Another issue is ensuring the patches are properly documented, can be correctly implemented in any new release of phpBB and that they remain fully compatible with no hidden surprises. This assumes that the codebase hasn't changed significantly, possibly rendering the implementation impossible - or different enough to require a rewrite. So, more "ghost" site testing concerns.

Quote:
I don’t do email alerts. I do “menu > forums > View Your Posts” seems to work for me.
I rely heavily on thread subscriptions/alerts but that's likely flavored by a moderator need to keep an eye on potential hotspots.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 1:34 pm

I hate email alerts. I always uncheck that option.