Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2024, 9:21 pm

Why does it take so long to delete a post on WP? I've long wondered about this - it can take 1-2 minutes, even for a single word.

This can be an issue if you make a post you immediately regret, but someone replies during the attempted deletion process, then it remains permanently in place.

Also if you're playing one of those word games in Off The Wall in a busy session, it can cause difficulties if a post can't quickly be removed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 5:49 am

Why?  Network or server load are the usual causes.  Out-of-date hardware or software at either end are two more.

As far as I know, the software running this website has not been updated since this website was first set up.  The software is old, clunky, and prone to be glitchy.

If this website was not free to use, most of us would probably have already left for other autism-themed websites.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 6:24 am

^ The last major update on the forum was in 2014, I believe. Cornflake mentioned it a while back, somewhere in a different thread.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Apr 2024, 6:49 am

^ Correct.

Also the service provider's hardware is nether old nor clunky.
The forum databases are SQL based; the forum software, even the prehistoric version, passes requests to the SQL service. It's not something done independently.

I've not seen delays when removing posts, but this may be experienced owing to local or network conditions. I'm thinking of delete post/immediate page refresh actions - there are several devices and networks involved with this between the user and WP.
The imposed 15 second flood-posting delay can also cause issues on fast moving threads; it's likely that would apply to a post followed by an immediate edit action - including deletion.
But minute-long delays? Sorry, I've not seen this.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 5:07 pm

^ Thanks, CF. Now it's more clear to me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2024, 1:09 pm

I work from two devices at once for this reason but I've noticed that even though it looks like it's taking its time because the page takes its time; the actual post deletes straight away.