Thread derailment! Sound the alarms! Danger!

Page 9 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 5:52 am

magz wrote:
Some posts have been removed.

Complaining for behaviors of other members in other threads is considered a personal attack. Adress the unwanted behaviors where they occur. Reporting dubious cases is not a sin, it results in some reports being closed without other action taken.

I apologize for my observations.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Aug 2022, 6:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I once wrote a post about someone without mentioning their name and it got deleted by the mods, so be careful...

There's no rule against mentioning other members by name and commenting on their many, many public posts on a subject, it's just the board's passive aggressive style and some overzealous interpretation of what constitutes a "personal attack".

Well I was told it was against the rules and my post was deleted.
Wellll, not quite. :wink:

The post in question was hinting that it was a certain banned member who had indulged in some inappropriate behavior, and I suggested that it's not good to hint about possible members who may or may not be like this - and getting into speculation, especially publically, means names will be deduced fairly or unfairly.
It was removed because it was starting, and possibly encouraging, discussion of who might fit the bannable issues outlined and went so far as to identify the gender.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 6:41 am

Cornflake wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I once wrote a post about someone without mentioning their name and it got deleted by the mods, so be careful...

There's no rule against mentioning other members by name and commenting on their many, many public posts on a subject, it's just the board's passive aggressive style and some overzealous interpretation of what constitutes a "personal attack".

Well I was told it was against the rules and my post was deleted.
Wellll, not quite. :wink:

The post in question was hinting that it was a certain banned member who had indulged in some inappropriate behavior, and I suggested that it's not good to hint about possible members who may or may not be like this - and getting into speculation, especially publically, means names will be deduced fairly or unfairly.
It was removed because it was starting, and possibly encouraging, discussion of who might fit the bannable issues outlined and went so far as to identify the gender.

Why was my last reply to you removed? Is it because former members sounded like banned members. As far as I know they just stopped posting.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Aug 2022, 6:43 am

Gossip on other members is unhealthy and unwelcome.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 6:58 am

magz wrote:
Gossip on other members is unhealthy and unwelcome.

Cornflake said gossip. I said what I read was more past members getting stuff off their chest. As far as what they said about other WP members, that seemed to be common knowledge stuff like Alex hardly being around. Really the comments I read were along the lines of the Members You Miss thread, but with a more bitter tone. Anyways it doesn't matter. They're gone and it's past history. Then again history is supposed to be something to remember to avoid the same problems that existed in the past.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 7:06 am

I'm curious about the OP of this thread.
They haven't posted lately.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 7:20 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm curious about the OP of this thread.
They haven't posted lately.

VM is pretty sporadic. Also he mentioned presently dealing with cancer, so hopefully his latest absence isn't because of that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 7:24 am

I have his email.
I'll check in and see if he's OK.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 9:09 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
People get themselves banned.
Agreed; and if they do not want to be reported, they should not break The Rules.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 11:57 am

Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Agreed; and if they do not want to be reported, they should not break The Rules.

I'll remember that and be sure to keep a close eye on you :twisted:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 12:58 pm

My worthless 2c: I think it should be up to the OP and OP alone to decide whether a thread has gone off-topic in a way that does not otherwise break rules. Sometimes threads are vastly improved by "derailment" into much more interesting areas - some of the best arguments I've had have been in totally derailed threads. I'm getting the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that others are deciding on the OP's behalf that a thread is off-topic and must be split or closed. If the mods and the <censored> are pre-emptively intervening without the direct request of the OP - I would recommend stopping and just letting threads go where they go if the OP doesn't mind. At the very least it is less work.

Last edited by magz on 01 Sep 2022, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.: offensive term removed

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 1:02 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I'll remember that and be sure to keep a close eye on you.
You do that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 2:57 pm

Mikah wrote:
My worthless 2c: I think it should be up to the OP and OP alone to decide whether a thread has gone off-topic in a way that does not otherwise break rules. Sometimes threads are vastly improved by "derailment" into much more interesting areas - some of the best arguments I've had have been in totally derailed threads. I'm getting the impression - correct me if I'm wrong - that others are deciding on the OP's behalf that a thread is off-topic and must be split or closed. If the mods and the <censored> are pre-emptively intervening without the direct request of the OP - I would recommend stopping and just letting threads go where they go if the OP doesn't mind. At the very least it is less work.

I totally agree. The OP should be the only one hitting the report button along those lines or asking users to get back on track / stay on topic. Incidentally I recently had to veto the <censored> in one of my threads.

Last edited by magz on 01 Sep 2022, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.: offensive term removed

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 8:35 pm

magz wrote:
Some posts have been removed.

Complaining for behaviors of other members in other threads is considered a personal attack. Adress the unwanted behaviors where they occur. Reporting dubious cases is not a sin, it results in some reports being closed without other action taken.

Noting that another members makes a lot of reports in the public mod attention thread is a personal attack now?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 8:49 pm

Mikah wrote:
My worthless 2c: I think it should be up to the OP and OP alone to decide whether a thread has gone off-topic in a way that does not otherwise break rules.

See, I don't think that's tenable, WP "custom" to the contrary, as we also have rules against duplicate topics and thread merges in News are fairly common. What if both I and another person both start threads on the same subject, they're merged, and I have a different view than they do about what is and is not on topic? Should I be racing to post every news article I see that I might conceivably want to talk about so that I can control the discussion without some neopuritan narc harping about "muh derailment" every time the thread doesn't go exactly their way? Do we really need to have ideological silos within the site, like our own internal FOX and MSNBC?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 8:56 pm

When I first started here it used to really bother me. Now I just expect it. If a thread I started lasts a decent amount of time before going off-topic I am content. I will only intervene if people are sniping at each other.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman