Sapphix
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Oct 2007, 9:15 pm

mantella_froggy
umberella
Frogburgers_Syndrome
spokane

All joined same day. Currently spamming all the threads.

spokane
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2007, 9:28 pm

this thread looks familiar. i have brain fog though so i may be wrong.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 9:49 pm

Calandale. :P

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 12:06 am

I do actually have a question about these trolls, do you moderators redirect their accounts by chance before banning them :lol: :twisted: ?

Religion: A good way to demonstrate our ability to believe things that just aren't so.

mooon_cake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Oct 2007, 12:59 am

RadiantAspie wrote:
I do actually have a question about these trolls, do you moderators redirect their accounts by chance before banning them :lol: :twisted: ?

....fa***t.

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 1:06 am

mooon_cake wrote:

....fa***t.

You got my message? I wrote the script myself you know...

Religion: A good way to demonstrate our ability to believe things that just aren't so.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 1:10 am

I don't know how to do that. We just give them the [GM] Dave package.

On sabbatical...

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 10:01 am

Quatermass wrote:
I don't know how to do that.

Well, maybe the admin has to give permission for you to do that, but basically what it is, is a small program you can write on Java or something like that, and you make it so that the next link on this site they click (say, the random forum for example), it will redirect them to another site of your choosing. I'm not sure of the exact algorithm that allows this though, and it might be a little different depending on which server you use. But anyways, you can make it so that once he/she is redirected, the account is banned; basically it automates the process for you. It is actually quite an effective deterrent as it discourages future returns.

Alternatively, you can make it so that the accounts aren't banned, but that every link they click will redirect them at least some percentage of the time, if you decide to have a little fun with them first. Of course, it depends on the situation.

I know quite a few site admins that do this for their sites, and I'd thought to suggest it here. And if you are looking for a few suggestions for sites to redirect them to, just let me know :twisted:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 1:27 pm

You can do that in php. But redirecting, putting up a blank page, or just refusing their request it doesn't really make much difference.

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 2:21 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
You can do that in php. But redirecting, putting up a blank page, or just refusing their request it doesn't really make much difference.

Well, that depends on where they are redirected. Regardless the whole point of it is to make it much more cumbersome to cause trouble, and if done right you can easily beat out persistent trolls.

Plus, it is always fun to imagine what their initial reaction is when they click on, say, the "New Topic" button and all of the sudden they get redirected to a site like the "you got owned" website or goatse.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 2:30 pm

RadiantAspie wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

Well, that depends on where they are redirected. Regardless the whole point of it is to make it much more cumbersome to cause trouble, and if done right you can easily beat out persistent trolls.

Not really even you’re smart and act as a mirror to the redirected page, it really doesn't stop the fact that you can't identify individual users on the internet. What you do with the banned members requests is cosmetic.

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 2:39 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Not really even you’re smart and act as a proxy to the redirected page, it really doesn't stop the fact that you can't identify individual users on the internet. What you do with the banned members requests is cosmetic.

I never said it was fool proof. A truly skilled troll usually knows what they are doing and on those redirecting doesn't really do much. But those are rare, and this site is obsure enough to not be known to those trolls.

But the stupid ones we've been getting can certainly be stopped by that method. And besides, I'm not sure if you know the particular sites that I have in mind. Redirect them to the right places (hint: why do you think "mooon_cake" responded to me like that :twisted: ) and they usually stop after about a week, if they are that persistent. Typically they stop in far less time...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 2:42 pm

RadiantAspie wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
Not really even you’re smart and act as a proxy to the redirected page, it really doesn't stop the fact that you can't identify individual users on the internet. What you do with the banned members requests is cosmetic.

I never said it was fool proof. A truly skilled troll usually knows what they are doing and on those redirecting doesn't really do much.

But the stupid ones we've been getting can certainly be stopped by that method. And besides, I'm not sure if you know the particular sites that I have in mind. Redirect them to the right places and they usually stop after about a week, if they are that persistent.

The 'stupid ones' are merely acting stupid, appearances can be deceptive. Besides it doesn't take much brains nowadays.

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 2:48 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
The 'stupid ones' are merely acting stupid, appearances can be deceptive. Besides it doesn't take much brains nowadays.

Maybe so, but in my experience the stupid ones aren't skilled enough to get around that, aren't capable of using more sophisticated techniques, and they certainly don't have any more skill with a computer other than using a keyboard (maybe they know how to program, but it is irrelevant since their level of skill doesn't surpass "script-kiddie" level). If there is anything that you can determine about anybody online it is their intelligence or their level of ignorance.

Trust me, it works. I've done this several times on other sites that I post on and/or moderate. And I've seen good trolling (that is, a real skilled one) before, and the ones that have been visiting this site isn't it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2007, 6:00 pm

RadiantAspie wrote:
Trust me, it works. I've done this several times on other sites that I post on and/or moderate. And I've seen good trolling (that is, a real skilled one) before, and the ones that have been visiting this site isn't it.

Trust me you are talking from quite a bit of ignorance in this case. You don't know the troll and you don't know that they are already getting around these bans. You don't need a high degree of skill at all, you don't need to know how to program or even be to the level of a script kiddie.

As to what constitutes a skilled troll that is beside the point.

This is not on a private network nor is it a private members site. So long as it is a public anyone can access it, it is not rocket science. Any restriction on that is merely superficial short of having private membership invitation only, or by checking some personal details that would confirm their identity and whereabouts as a condition of membership. I have been on private members forums before. They are quite small, because they only add members gradually usually after all the other members have agreed.

Users defend their right to privacy on the internet for good reason. In some European countries IP addresses are even protected as personal information by data protection laws.
http://peterfleischer.blogspot.com/2007 ... -data.html

I don't think we need to go that far. But you can’t expect or want a site to know about users personal information without them agreeing to those checks in the first place.

RadiantAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2007, 6:39 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Trust me you are talking from quite a bit of ignorance in this case. You don't know the troll and you don't know that they are already getting around these bans. You don't need a high degree of skill at all, you don't need to know how to program or even be to the level of a script kiddie.

No I am not. The truth is, it doesn't really matter who the guy is, or how they are getting around the bans, or how many sockpuppets they have, or anything really. In the end, they always reveal themselves. A troll is a troll, and a stupid troll is a stupid troll, and despite what you think they are actually quite easily discouraged and identifiable. Those accounts could have all been different people, it makes no difference.

And apparently you are under the mistaken assumption that proxy servers keep you anonymous; it is not entirely true, and in any case it does not work on a computer wizard such as myself. They can keep going around the bans all they want, but in the end they will be banned until they either tire of it or otherwise....

Quote:
As to what constitutes a skilled troll that is beside the point.

But it was never about what constituted a skilled troll. I just simply suggested a way to have fun with them while they get banned. I only brought it up because you are overestimating their abilities. They are in reality quite limited in both intellect and options. Most of them any way.

Quote:
This is not on a private network nor is it a private members site. So long as it is a public anyone can access it, it is not rocket science. Any restriction on that is merely superficial short of having private membership invitation only, or by checking some personal details that would confirm their identity and whereabouts as a condition of membership. I have been on private members forums before. They are quite small, because they only add members gradually usually after all the other members have agreed.

That is an irrelevant appeal. I'm not disputing what kind of skill is needed to sign up.

Quote:
Users defend their right to privacy on the internet for good reason. In some European countries IP addresses are even protected as personal information by data protection laws.
http://peterfleischer.blogspot.com/2007 ... -data.html

I don't think we need to go that far. But you can’t expect or want a site to know about users personal information without them agreeing to those checks in the first place.

It appears as if you don't know the IP system very well. No matter...

Yes, THEORETICALLY they do. But the second you post on a forum, your IP is logged and it can give away information such as your service, location, etc. Just go to any Whois site and see for yourself. Europeans nations are NOT exempt. They need not actually give away information about your name and specific address.

And second, even though they COULD defend their privacy, you are also free to GIVE yourself away. Posting style gives information on how you are likely to respond to situations and behavior online, so you can identify them that way. In this thread alone, the information you have given away is that you actually KNOW who is doing this, and that you may be that person (Unlikely, but you are raising my suspicions by what you posted). You have also given away the fact that you live somewhere in Europe (that or you know someone in Europe). In fact, you have given away a lot more about yourself than what you just posted here, just because you've been here for quite a while.

Anonymous online, HAH! There is NO such thing.

============================

And besides, why do you seem to be against this? I was just making a suggestion. Do you actually KNOW who is doing it, because a bunch of other people would like to hear about it. Or maybe I'll tell you about it on the other two nameless sites you like to post on, which seem to exist only to make a futile attempt to bash this site around...