Getting sick of the bigots and trolls on WP

Page 4 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:43 am

I think it's important not to fall into the trap of preaching to the converted or trying to hard to convince the unconverted. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the time to read through long articles, even if they are well written. Short, well-considered points probably have the best chance of getting read and considered.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:48 am

Pandora wrote:
I think it's important not to fall into the trap of preaching to the converted or trying to hard to convince the unconverted. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the time to read through long articles, even if they are well written. Short, well-considered points probably have the best chance of getting read and considered.

Laconic stuff will do well in addition.

On sabbatical...

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2008, 7:52 am

Humour will get my attention.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:43 pm

Thought I would bounce an old thread up, as there seems more trolls on this site, who I doubt ever get warned for their behavior, what is going on here?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 3:14 pm

What's going on is that you're not folloeing proper procedure for reporting trolls.

- Emerson

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 3:15 pm

What's going on is that you're not folloeing proper procedure for reporting trolls.

- Emerson

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:15 pm

MrMark wrote:

And what procedure would that be? Its been well established that following the procedures in the discussion forum don't do anything and I haven't seen those procedures amended anywhere - unless the amendments are hidden as deeply as the site rules are.

Of course, one has to wonder how to figure out what is acceptable on here and what is behavior that needs to be reported because common sense would tell you that boobs made out of cheese and butt orgasms would be inappropriate topics and irritible bowel syndrome could be discussed in the health forum, but what we've seen is that the first two topics are acceptable and the second is a warnable offense that will result in your thread being deleted

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:43 pm

I think its something to do with the jerk who is trolling zeldapsychology and MADDuck, or anyone else he disagrees with.

04 Oct 2008, 8:51 pm

Or to someone who sets him off.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:09 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
MrMark wrote:

And what procedure would that be?
As you continue to say what it is.. why do you ask?

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Its been well established that following the procedures in the discussion forum don't do anything
By whom?

Triangular_Trees wrote:
and I haven't seen those procedures amended anywhere
Why would you? They haven't been.

Triangular_Trees wrote:
- unless the amendments are hidden as deeply as the site rules are.
The site rules have never been hidden at all. They have always been at the top of the first forum. About one person in every thousand seems to have minor trouble finding them.

===========

At present, there seems to be one troll about. We have managed to catch him fairly quickly, each time he has appeared. We would catch him quicker if people reported him.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:26 pm

So is anybody going to give me a username, preferably by PM?

- Emerson

04 Oct 2008, 10:58 pm

I think you have been notified about one of them. You have told him to refrain from the personal attacks in Zelda's thread.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 1:03 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Or to someone who sets him off.

The person I was referring to was trolling zelda and mad duck, he wasn't trolling me. just thought he is exceptionally rude to members here.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 6:08 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I think you have been notified about one of them. You have told him to refrain from the personal attacks in Zelda's thread.

Yeah, I remember. I don't remember his username. Is he persisting?

- Emerson

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 6:22 am

Oh, I remember now. CentralFLM, right?
This post?
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1749740 ... t=#1749740
This post?
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1749735 ... t=#1749735
This one?
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1749666 ... t=#1749666

- Emerson

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 6:58 am

Quote:
As you continue to say what it is.. why do you ask?

Because I'm continued to be told it works. But though I'm employed the strategies said in here, I've yet to see any of the methods for reporting in trolls resulting in anything other than the reporting member being completely ignored minus a few rare exceptionsh - or in the case of posting in a thread about the issue, not dealt with until a few weeks afterward.

Quote:
Its been well established that following the procedures in the discussion forum don't do anything
By whom?

Any one thats tried them - there is an entire thread about it that was posted just a little over a month ago. Which according to the procedures one would reasonaly expect it to have been read by all the mods here

Quote:
Triangular_Trees wrote:
and I haven't seen those procedures amended anywhere
Why would you? They haven't been.

Then why are we still told to follow these procedures, when any member that tries to report them via direct pm,posting here, or IM just gets ignored? If those are the procedures we are supposed to follow, one would think that following them would actually result in something happening, wouldn't they? Even if all that happened was getting a response "sorry i don't feel that oversteps the boundaries of this site."

Quote:
Triangular_Trees wrote:
- unless the amendments are hidden as deeply as the site rules are.
The site rules have never been hidden at all. They have always been at the top of the first forum. About one person in every thousand seems to have minor trouble finding them.

The first forum is general autism discussion - the bulk of the posters here have no desire to go there and there's nothing at all in the description that would give one any reason at all to consider that the rules would be there. Even many of the posters who post there have never looked at the thread homepage because they post via the "view new posts" option. This is the discussion forum - the rules aren't posted here, which would be the first logical place to look for them if they were posted in any of the forums, and if they aren't in here, its not logical to think they'd be in any forum that has nothing to do with site functions and user behavior. They also aren't linked to on the main page or discussion page and no link is given when one signs up to use WP (I know because I also went through the process of creating a new account just to get a link to the rules when I was looking for them when the mods I had asked weren't willing to provide me with their location).

As I posted before it took me 20 minutes of searching the site for them this summer, even after I asked 2 mods and Alex for a direct link to all the rules (one responded with a small quote of one rule and no information whatsoever as to where to find the rules, Alex and the other never responded though my sent box showed both read them), and I only managed to find them because I had a direct quote from them and used google to search the site. If not for that quote, I'd still be looking. Once I looked here and didn't see them anywhere, there wasn't even a slight reason to believe they'd be posted in any other forum, as no other forum has anything to do with the sites operation or rules.

And then when you complain about the entire lack of visibility you are told there is no reason for the rules to be visible because its common sense to know that you are allowed to talk about butt orgasms, being a prostitute, boobs made of cheese etc, but can end up banned if you ask members for advice in the health forum about issues such as to whether or not your urinary tract infection is serious enough that it warrants an ER trip. Its only mod's and admins I've seen claim the rules are easy to find. There are multiple posts by users asking for them or stating they had to point out the rules to other users. I think thats a pretty obvious clue that barely anyone can find them unless they already know where to look, and no one would logically think to look in the General autism forum unless they already knew they were there

Quote:
At present, there seems to be one troll

If she has 15+ accounts and posts 24 hours a day that would be correct. The multi-user haven troll appears to have left, but what user can say - there's been no indication she was banned, and some new posters have had her writing style. Is she wonderwomen and CentralFLM. Or all 3 different trolls? Were the first two banned and thats why CentralFLM is considered the only troll now. (i'm guessing CentralFLM is the troll you are mentioning since he is the only brought up here)

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html