Getting sick of the bigots and trolls on WP

Page 8 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 4:15 pm

How so? Im not agsint those thinging differently or living didferntly, im gaianst those agasinst those living/thinking differently

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:01 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
I've noticed a distinct mark of ingratitude from many who posted in this thread.

Is that any surprise given how some mods in here are posting lies and distorting information to personally attack posters with concerns and completely ignoring the issues that are posted. Meanwhile no other mod is stepping in to help stop that behavior?

People are even less likely to thank someone for being a bully who needlessy attacks them than they are to thank someone who completely ignores them when they bring up something that is bothering them. Gratitude of others is something you earn, not something you are entitled to regardless of how you behave

And you think you can do any better as a moderator? Let me lay down the word for you: did you know that, before they had cars, they had horses? And that every horse considered any location a convenient toilet? And that they had people sweeping said excrement from the roads? Well, we're the ones who have to sweep up the leavings, and we get even less acknowledgement, except a kick in the face when we apparently aren't doing the job to the satisfaction of you ungrateful people.

That's what you all are. Ungrateful to the end, thinking that your own, personal, petty grievances take absolute priority over all others!

On sabbatical...

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 6:48 pm

Quote:
And you think you can do any better as a moderator? Let me lay down the word for you: did you know that, before they had cars, they had horses? And that every horse considered any location a convenient toilet? And that they had people sweeping said excrement from the roads? Well, we're the ones who have to sweep up the leavings, and we get even less acknowledgement, except a kick in the face when we apparently aren't doing the job to the satisfaction of you ungrateful people.

That's what you all are. Ungrateful to the end, thinking that your own, personal, petty grievances take absolute priority over all others!

Just about anyone here can do better than the mods are currently doing with ignoring concerns and attacking posters. That's troll behavior and no one who engages in it is worthy of being a mod

If you can't moderate, you owe to the entire population of WP to step down. If you need more help, you owe to the entire population of WP to tell Alex. Trolling and harassing posters who have valid concerns is not the solution to the problem

I've only asked for minimal moderating help - what i've been met with is mods refusing to point out the rules to me when directly asked and mods posting lies about me

And yet you expect me to be grateful for that? Why? What is there to be grateful about in mods who harass you without reason, and completely ignore issues that would take them less time to address than it takes them to write lengthy lies about you?

Show me something to be grateful for. Lets see "thank you Lau for posting what you were fully aware were lies about me and continuing to attempt to distort the truth after it was posted for all to see. Thank you also for posting statements completely opposite of your original attack to continue attacking me after you found your first lies weren't going to work in fooling the general population"

"Thank you all other mods for ignoring Lau's behavior, and not saying anything to him about how inappropriate it was and how was he engaging in behavior that the rules say you will be banned for. not just in this case but the also in the dozen or so other times he did the same things with posters who brought up site concerns in the discussion forum over the past year"

"Thank you quartermass for giving me one snippet of a rule and no information at all as to where to find the rules when I asked you to please direct me to exactly where the rules were so I could view them in full context."

"Thank you Quartermass for stepping in to harass users and ignore concerns when Lau stopped doing so"

"Thank you mods for turning this into an "attack the poster, ignore all issues" thread instead of doing something or say something about the concerns being brought up here - in the apporpriate place for bringing up such concerns."

yep those are things to be grateful for. :roll:

If you want gratitude than do your job and moderate. otherwise accept that people are going to step up and say something and no amount of harassing them or posting lies about them will get you gratitude. Grattitude is earned. You don't get it for having moderator next to your name - you get it for actually moderating.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Last edited by Triangular_Trees on 15 Oct 2008, 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:04 pm

You are ungrateful, the rules are now readily visible in most forums, and how am I harassing users?

On sabbatical...

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:17 pm

Quatermass wrote:
You are ungrateful, the rules are now readily visible in most forums, and how am I harassing users?

Still under the titles that don't include the word rules and sometimes titles that cause people to want to avoid those threads entirely - I've brought this up kindly before. No mod has ever offered any explanation or reason for why that should be the case

Edit: My mistake, I do see that some of the forums now have visible rules under reasonable titles - and for that I am grateful.
I had not seen the announcement stating the change and the forums I tend to vist the home pages of (ie haven, parents, discussion) still do not have posted rules - or if they are posted there they don't have rules in the title. I'd need to check to make sure, but if I remember correctly the last official word in the thread about this last month was that there was no need for the rules to be posted in the forums because they were in the general autism forum, and thats the last i heard on the issue. If that word was updated I either completely missed it or it wasn't posted in the relevant thread.

Quote:

This is a personal attack. Personal attacks are harassment. You also didn't comment on any of the issues being discussed in here before posting it. Now if you tried to deal with the issues first, and then were frustrated, it could potentially be reasonable. But this behavior jumping straight to the attack and ignoring the issues posted about is one of the concerns that this thread is about and that a few posters complained about here in the past few days

Its not behavior I typically see from you though, so I'm wondering if something else is contributing to it. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen you react like this before

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 1:21 am

Quatermass wrote:
I don't think that you are harassing anyone. However Sinsboldly and Lau are. You said the users posting in thsi thread are ungrateful. How are we ungrateful? I'm very thankful that the moderators moderate. however, you are right I am NOT grateful that they are going around spouting nasty, mean, hurtful things about other users. And if you look in This: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt77877.html you will see that other members agree, not to mention the countless posts people in this thread have posted, saying they feel what sinsboldly and lau are saying is not okay.

You guys are moderators, you are supposed to help keep the message boards safe and clean up attacks. Maybe it would do well to get some new moderators, since the current ones (not including QM) are breaking all the rules, and obviously aren't going to help keep us safe from their own posts.

I mean, come on, I said I wasn't feeling safe, and i was uncomfortable because of the harassing and confrontational stuff Lau was spouting, and i basically get told by sinsboldly that because i posted one thread where i was upset while asking for moderator help that I deserve it! She also turned my thread the one i posted above, here is link again http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt77877.html) into a random free for all atatck on Iamnotaparakeet.

So, as you said to me "merle" you should probably look at your tone in those posts.

This place has basically become moderators against posters, with the moderators for some odd reason thinking it is on to treat the posters like crap,Humiliate and embarrass them and harass them. And you guys are only harassing me because I stood up for Triangular_Trees and said that the posts Lau were making about him made me feel uncomfortable. I don't like seeing things like that posted about people. It's very upsetting. and I mentioned that I thought that discussing bannings, or bannings that may have occurred were not ok, especially in public.

So basically, Lau is harassing another member here, I say i'm uncomfortable, Lau begins to harass me and continue to harass Triangular_Trees, sinsboldly begins to harass me, and now for some strange reason QM is stepping in here, and saying we're all ungrateful for saying "hell no" to the abuse you guys are putting us through!

finrod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2008, 8:59 am

After reading over this thread, I have to wonder if the reason the mods are ignoring the reports of trolls, deleting troll responses from the middle of threads/deleting the trolls threads and then claiming the troll's posts never existed in the first place is because one or more of the mods here are the trolls themselves using a secondary account.

It would explain why certain resident trolls are protected from any public criticism of their behavior, have never been banned or warned, and why posters who complain about said trolls get harassed by the mods. And its the only explanation that makes even a teensy bit of sense as to why the mods are acting so viciously to posters in this forum who complain about such behavior

Maybe from now on we should all give up on expecting the mods to do their job and instead take screen shots of troll posts. Then send the images to Alex so he can check IP addresses of the trolling posters and see who the troll really is. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find the trolls elsehwere are secondary accounts of the mod who likes trolling users here

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 10:44 am

I am investigating allegations of sockpuppetry.

- Emerson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 10:56 am

finrod wrote:
After reading over this thread, I have to wonder if the reason the mods are ignoring the reports of trolls, deleting troll responses from the middle of threads/deleting the trolls threads and then claiming the troll's posts never existed in the first place is because one or more of the mods here are the trolls themselves using a secondary account.

Seems unlikely. I'm convinced that our mods are well-meaning and generally have a good amount of integrity.

Quote:
Maybe from now on we should all give up on expecting the mods to do their job and instead take screen shots of troll posts. Then send the images to Alex so he can check IP addresses of the trolling posters and see who the troll really is. Wouldn't be at all surprised to find the trolls elsehwere are secondary accounts of the mod who likes trolling users here

While I may not always agree with moderation, especially some recent threats made to the PPR forum, the moderation here is generally very good, and for very little recognition. As MrMark has said before, his job is like herding cats- a rather difficult and thankless task. We should be grateful for their patience in dealing with us and general level-headedness. I haven't seen any major power trips since I've been here.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 10:56 am

finrod wrote:
Wouldn't be at all surprised to find the trolls elsehwere are secondary accounts of the mod who likes trolling users here

This theory presupposes that the Mods have absolutely nothing better to do with their time.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 11:02 am

CityAsylum wrote:
finrod wrote:
Wouldn't be at all surprised to find the trolls elsehwere are secondary accounts of the mod who likes trolling users here

This theory presupposes that the Mods have absolutely nothing better to do with their time.

Which theory?

Once a mod asked rhetorically, "Why are trolls so stupid?" I said, "Because really talented people have better things to do."

We all have other jobs and only a limited anount of time for nonsense.

- Emerson

finrod

16 Oct 2008, 11:03 am

CityAsylum wrote:
finrod wrote:

Look at their responses to members here - some of them seem to enjoy trolling much more than they do moderating anything

Quote:
I'm convinced that our mods are well-meaning and generally have a good amount of integrity.

While that may be the case with some, or even most, there are examples in this thread that show some of the mods don't have an ounce of integrity. Just go back 3 or 4 pages and read what they are posting. You'll see a mod on a major power trip, blowing his top and trolling.

CityAsylum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 11:10 am

I supposed I am biased in favor of the Mods because they have, without exception, addressed every trolling issue I have ever reported, and they also PMd replies each time after a problem had been dealt with.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 11:14 am

CityAsylum wrote:
I supposed I am biased in favor of the Mods because they have, without exception, addressed every trolling issue I have ever reported, and they also PMd replies each time after a problem had been dealt with.

That's not "biased," that's noticing that the mods have actually been doing a pretty decent job, which is better than can be said for most fora.

finrod

16 Oct 2008, 11:17 am

CityAsylum wrote:

And I'm sure there are some mods that applies to without exception.

However, there are mods whose public behavior is regularly and quite frequently shameful, ignorant, and abusive toward members and you only need to go back a few pages in this thread to see an example of that.

When any of the mods engage in such behavior publically they are in effect harassing the entire WP community, even you. someone who isn't the person they are directing their attacks toward. Just as a troll trolls everyone on the site by posting, not just the people who respond to their threads

Last edited by finrod on 16 Oct 2008, 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 11:18 am

CityAsylum wrote:

Yeah, I really like the customer service model for moderation. Unfortunately, there isn't always time to write a personal response to every concern.

- Emerson