What is The Most Practical Major for an Autistic?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2019, 1:12 am

I'm looking for a major that'll land me a job as quickly as possible. I did some google searches online and did some research and found the data I encountered said that autistics have a low chance of being employed. An 85% chance of unemployment. I have found three major fields be the most practical for myself since I have spent most of my life in front of a computer with no experience in anything else I do and I doubt I have a real social life. I also jimmy rig and break anything I touch. Here are the three majors in college: Business, Library, and Computer Science.

I have heard stories of people in business having no job after college, and have heard that computer science degrees lead you nowhere if you aren't passionate about programming. Library I don't know if I'll be good at either.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2019, 1:32 am

If you can find a branch of business that you like, that is the most practical choice, especially if you can combine it with computers. Accounting, finance, insurance, etc., are all very computer oriented. (The "quants" -- people who combine advanced math and finance -- are very highly paid.) Library work is wonderful in theory, but there will be very few openings, and it will involve a lot of social/political skill, sad to say.

There Are Four Lights!

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2019, 2:20 am

Business isn't going to work... I guess computer science it is.

Antrax
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2019, 12:31 pm

A few practicalities:

1) Something you don't hate. This is most important, as you'll struggle in anything you hate. Ideally it's something you're passionate about but 6th century japanese archaeology doesn't land many jobs even if you're passionate about it.

2) Something that emphasizes performance over soft skills. STEM fields tend to do this, but so do things like accounting, and musical performance.

3) Something that pays well/has a strong job market. This where STEM fields tend to dominate for successful autistics. They are in demand, value performance over soft skills, and pay well.

Based on the three majors you listed I would guess programming/computer science is the path of least resistance. That doesn't mean you can't succeed in another field, just that it might be more challenging to get a good job from the library, or more difficult to network in the business culture.