Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2019, 5:28 pm

I am looking for tips that I should be aware of when starting university this fall

Myrski
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jul 2019, 8:15 pm

I went to university once for about 3 months before dropping out. Back then, I had no idea I was on the spectrum and burned tout real quick because I found it hard to adapt to the new environment. In retrospect, I also wasn't that interested in what I was studying. If I had to give advice to not do what I did:

- make sure you enjoy your field of study.
- be kind to yourself and accept that it might be tough at first while you adapt to your new environment.
- don't pressure yourself to socialize and make friends if you don't feel comfortable at first, even if eveybody else is doing it.
- eventually find a few people you are comfortable being friends with.
- focus on doing good work and being proud of yourself.
- find a place to live where you can have some recharging time

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 6:25 pm

Myrski wrote:
I went to university once for about 3 months before dropping out. Back then, I had no idea I was on the spectrum and burned tout real quick because I found it hard to adapt to the new environment. In retrospect, I also wasn't that interested in what I was studying. If I had to give advice to not do what I did:

- make sure you enjoy your field of study.
- be kind to yourself and accept that it might be tough at first while you adapt to your new environment.
- don't pressure yourself to socialize and make friends if you don't feel comfortable at first, even if eveybody else is doing it.
- eventually find a few people you are comfortable being friends with.
- focus on doing good work and being proud of yourself.
- find a place to live where you can have some recharging time

Thank you for your tips.

I will be living at home (commute is only 30 mins with public transport) so that is one thing less to have to worry about.

I have applied and been accepted to have my service dog with me - allowed per law but still good to tell them in advance.

Luckily both of my parents are university professors so not only have I been at universities (mom's and dad's office rooms) but I will also be able to ask for help and guidance - although I would prefer to not have to ask my parents.

Thinking about it makes me less stressed and more prepared so I really appreciate your response.

Zakatar
Raven
Raven

12 Jul 2019, 1:08 am

The fact that you are commuting from home and have professors for parents will make uni life a lot easier to cope with. I also lived at home when I was at university, though I drove rather than took public transit since the commute by car was twice as fast as by bus/metro.

If you are looking to find a social group early on, I would recommend finding out if your university has a student club (my university called them student organizations) for students on the spectrum or with disabilities in general. I co-founded such an organization at my university.

I would also recommend taking one less class than a full load your first semester if you are worried about being overwhelmed by the workload.